What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Perth team 2023

Perth Red

Post Whore
The Nrl has put it on the table. If WA can show they have a $25mil plan to grow the game and sustain a Perth team in WA they will get a team. Having a high performance center of excellence, healthy league comp, access to schools, leagues club, sponsors and strong memberships are essential. And a airline company on board would help

No they haven’t. And who would they tell? The nrl now own/run the nrlwa so they are telling themselves?

Perth Red

Post Whore
I can imagine the local RL community would grow to spate Union, a few WA politicians are getting behind Rugby League to stick it up to the ARU. Getting them on board will give the WA bid more omph.

There is no WA bid as is there is no expansion opportunity. The WA bid was the WARL and a group of businessmen. The nrl told them to stop wasting their time, then took over the WARL with threats.

Stallion

First Grade
There is no WA bid as is there is no expansion opportunity. The WA bid was the WARL and a group of businessmen. The nrl told them to stop wasting their time, then took over the WARL with threats.

That's dissapointing PR. The code should be proactive in looking at additional clubs.

siv

First Grade
No NRL team has a guaranteed $25 mil

Generating revenue of $20 mil plus mil is for the elite few clubs

The Broncos with the highest revenue pool barely made that figure

Stormwarrior82

Juniors

Do you honestly think the world stops when the Nrl says no to expanding the Nrl comp? Warl more than anyone, would have connections in WA gov and business and the Nrl would try and help as well. I would near guarantee that there are things happening behind closed doors. Don’t let your frustration blind you from reality. Are those ex-Warl and businessman still around or have they chucked a tanty like everyone seems to do when they don’t get the decision they want?

That $25mil I feel would also include grassroots development/costs (gov/club funding), school programs (gov funding), high performance/CoE (gov/club funding). Hardly a issue when twiggy-come-lately offers similar incentives for WA force and the WA gov are looking for payback. It’s all good people talking about expansion but at the end of the day commitment is what’s needed.

Keep in mind football dept cap is $5.7ish and extra funding above salary cap from the Nrl is $2.5-3mil. So a Nrl clubs needs at least $3ish mil to cover the shortfall plus a extra $2/3 mil to cover other club associated costs (memberships,admin etc). That I’m sure would be running on bear minimum with not a very bright outlook but it gives expansion bid teams a ballpark figure to start from.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Do you honestly think the world stops when the Nrl says no to expanding the Nrl comp? Warl more than anyone, would have connections in WA gov and business and the Nrl would try and help as well. I would near guarantee that there are things happening behind closed doors. Don’t let your frustration blind you from reality. Are those ex-Warl and businessman still around or have they chucked a tanty like everyone seems to do when they don’t get the decision they want?

That $25mil I feel would also include grassroots development/costs (gov/club funding), school programs (gov funding), high performance/CoE (gov/club funding). Hardly a issue when twiggy-come-lately offers similar incentives for WA force and the WA gov are looking for payback. It’s all good people talking about expansion but at the end of the day commitment is what’s needed.

Keep in mind football dept cap is $5.7ish and extra funding above salary cap from the Nrl is $2.5-3mil. So a Nrl clubs needs at least $3ish mil to cover the shortfall plus a extra $2/3 mil to cover other club associated costs (memberships,admin etc). That I’m sure would be running on bear minimum with not a very bright outlook but it gives expansion bid teams a ballpark figure to start from.

Did you read my post? There is no WARL. The game in WA is now run by the nrl.
If the nrl want to put a team in Perth they will either need to put out a call to get businessmen involved in putting it together, or do it themselves. No busy corporate type is going to sit around hoping the nrl is going to expand some day, we’ve been strung along for 8 years already.

mave

Coach
Didn't you people already have a team?

Well until you decided to kick the governing body in the nuts and jump ship to a shinier, more fancy version of what you were already playing in.

Any stringing along of a potential Perth side is well deserved.

Karma, bitches, Karma.

BuffaloRules

Coach
Might be time to revisit Grants position on possible Perth expansion from 12 months ago...

This is Exhibit No 1 of the lack of ambition from the NRL Administration...

With an additional $800Million coming into the game via the new TV Deal 2018-2022 ( Up from $1 Billion to $1.8 Billion)... there still isn't enough money to fund expansion apparently..

There is always the next TV deal though.. ( haven't we heard that one before? I wonder if they will be getting an additional $800 Million the next time??).

https://thewest.com.au/sport/rugby-league/no-plans-for-nrl-team-in-perth-ng-ya-120798

Hopes of a Perth-based National Rugby League side in an expanded competition have been dealt a crushing blow.

Australian Rugby League Commission chairman John Grant spelt out for the first time yesterday there were no plans for an NRL side in Perth for at least the next six years.

Speaking at The West Australian’s Leadership Matters lunch in conjunction with presenting partner Curtin University, Grant said there had to be growth at the bottom before expansion could be considered.

In terms of WA we are not going to expand the number of teams in the NRL competition,” he said.

We certainly won’t in the next broadcast rights deal through to 2022. We’ll see what happens after that because if our plans come to fruition we will have built our base out and then you have opportunities.

“Whenever anyone thinks about expansion they think about the NRL comp. We don’t. Expansion to us is expansion of the game.

It has been proven time and again that there is too much risk, too much money and too little impact created by building from the top down ... very expensive, you’ve got to have very big pockets available for a very long time.

“The commission’s priority is to make the game stronger, consistently, each year from the base up, not from the top down.”

Grant offered the NRLWA some hope, saying a Perth side would be aligned to an NRL club when the new second-tier competition started in two years.

“Nothing at the NRL level, that’s the salient point. Expansion at the new level, to the truly semi-professional level, that will be the natural pathway to the NRL and that’s the opportunity for WA,” he said.

NRLWA created West Coast Pirates four years ago hoping for expansion, but Grant said it had been given false hope.

“When the commission was first formed (in 2012) there was a runaway train with consortiums all around Australia promoting additional teams and there was never any intention of that,” he said.

“I don’t know why that ball was started rolling. I tried to stop it. I was trying to be really clear then and I’m trying to be really clear now.”

Grant, who was joined on a panel by NRL chief executive Todd Greenberg, Australian coach Mal Meninga' and' New Zealand mentor David Kidwell, said taking tomorrow night’s Test to nib Stadium was a bold move, but the correct one.

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
Did you read my post? There is no WARL. The game in WA is now run by the nrl.
If the nrl want to put a team in Perth they will either need to put out a call to get businessmen involved in putting it together, or do it themselves. No busy corporate type is going to sit around hoping the nrl is going to expand some day, we’ve been strung along for 8 years already.

I did read your post and your biased views are blinding you from reality. There is a WARL, the same as QRL and NSWRL. All those groups have the ability to search for funding, sponsorship, run programs, run leagues, teams and potential bid teams that work well with there respective state league affiliate. These connections should help secure like minded business people that have a soft spot for rugby league, and aren’t in it to stroke there ego but to promote and expand our sport.

Now I remember you were annoyed at the Nrl removing the previous WA board but unless they were willing to toe the Nrl line and be on the same page in all likelyhood it was a recipe for disaster. Having a rogue, self interested board would of spelled a lot of trouble in WA.

You said youve be strung along for 8yrs? Hardly the case. The article above from buffalo says that Grant and others have tried several times to dismiss those rumors, and every time you whinge about it. The past 4-5yrs has been the same. Gallop instigated the expansion talk to probably save his job. By the WA gov investing in rl games, facilities, programs helps lay the foundations that suns/gws didn’t have initially.

Perth Red

Post Whore
No you don’t understand the nrl structure clearly. Unlike the nswrl and qrl, nrlwa is owned and run by the arlc/nrl. There is no independent board and the ceo answers directly to the nrl. Strategy and funding is set by the nrl. All of the local decision making has gone.

There can be no bid team when there is no expansion plans.

It is possible we will see a second tier team here in next 5 years but any chance of nrl expansion is at least another 6-8 years away imo.

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
No you don’t understand the nrl structure clearly. Unlike the nswrl and qrl, nrlwa is owned and run by the arlc/nrl. There is no independent board and the ceo answers directly to the nrl. Strategy and funding is set by the nrl. All of the local decision making has gone.

There can be no bid team when there is no expansion plans.

It is possible we will see a second tier team here in next 5 years but any chance of nrl expansion is at least another 6-8 years away imo.

So you accept everything else I said? There are multiple structures within the Nrl and I do realize Warl is setup is a little different to qrl and nswrl. This hardly means it’s wrong. Ultimately the Nrl owns all departments covered under there name. Don’t be so naive that qrl and nswrl are independent. They have a couple of independents on each board but are outnumbered anyway.

Funding is set by the Nrl to all states, hardly an issue. I’ll accept that the strategy is directed a lot more by the Nrl with regards to Warl but hardly a issue. Warl ceo/executives would still have a lot of input in decisions.

Yes there can be bid teams without expansion plans. Toronto and New York say hello.
I realize your a dejected Warl supporter but your refusal to accept the Nrls expansion plans is borderline rediculous. Read between the lines.
Do you think a code that is
increasing funds to WA
Increasing support to WA
Increasing games to WA
Bringing SOO to Perth
Talking openly about Perth costs of team
Do they seem like expansion plans to you?

I feel there is stuff happening behind closed doors with regards to wa gov and would be in the Nrls interest to keep these plans quiet until the right time. The less time afl has to counter the plans or increase wa funding the better.
Maybe they could return back to the old days because PR said they aren’t expanding.

Perth Red

Post Whore
There are multiple structures within the Nrl and I do realize Warl is setup is a little different to qrl and nswrl.

There is no WARL, it is now NRLWA. It is set up totally different. NSWRL and QRL are separate entities, inc companies with their own boards and governance. NRLWA is an office of the NRL

Yes there can be bid teams without expansion plans. Toronto and New York say hello.

Big difference, There is expansion in the ESL. Any club can be formed and be playing in SL within three years if they win promotion through the leagues.

I realize your a dejected Warl supporter but your refusal to accept the Nrls expansion plans is borderline rediculous. Read between the lines.
Do you think a code that is
increasing funds to WA
Increasing support to WA
Increasing games to WA
Bringing SOO to Perth
Talking openly about Perth costs of team
Do they seem like expansion plans to you?

Ok lets break these myths down.

SOO, RLWC, test match and NRL dbl header this year are due to a multi million $ payment by the WA Govt to the NRL. They are not in any way shape or form being funded or at the independent drive of the NRL. No $'s from WA Govt, none of this would be happening. Its a commercial arrangement that financially benefits the NRL, not being done as some sort of master expansion strategy.

increasing funds to WA. Not sure where your getting your info from but the sum total of increased funding to WA in last three years has been one extra development officer for SW of the State. If you saw the shtty little offices under the old stand at nib the NRLWA operate out of it would give you a sense of just how much funding the RL sends West!

Increasing games to WA. err no. We have gone from 4 games a year, to 2 next year. And these are at the discretion of the clubs involved, nothing to do with the NRL or a NRL strategy.

Increasing support to WA. What increased support are you talking of? If it wasn't for the cash convertors guy backing RL here we would have no SG Ball or elite academy, NRL certainly isn't paying for it!

So no there is no evidence of some master expansion plan.

I feel there is stuff happening behind closed doors with regards to wa gov and would be in the Nrls interest to keep these plans quiet until the right time. The less time afl has to counter the plans or increase wa funding the better.
Maybe they could return back to the old days because PR said they aren’t expanding.

You can feel what you like but Grant and Greenburg have been unwavering in their public commentary that there will be no expansion of the NRL until at least 2023.

Reactions: Vee

taipan

Referee
And getting Govts to pay for staging SOO or tests or RLWC in an area, makes commercial thus viable.commonsense.The WA govt think it's worthwhile.,the N.T. Govt did for the RLWC
The AFL are experts at extracting monies from govt, soccer did so for their attempt to stage a world Cup to the tune of $45m and union gets it share of the pie.
I think anyone with an ounce of understanding of what is to be spent by the NRL over the next 5 years, would understand there would be no expansion til 2023 at earliest.That being the case Perth/Brisbane 2 and whoever else has at least another 3-4 years to mount an irrefutable case for inclusion.
Money is being allocated for a womens national comp also.
I just want the NRL to allocate decent funds to the heartland;and and non heartland states for grassroots.

BuffaloRules

Coach
I think anyone with an ounce of understanding of what is to be spent by the NRL over the next 5 years, would understand there would be no expansion til 2023 at earliest.That being the case Perth/Brisbane 2 and whoever else has at least another 3-4 years to mount an irrefutable case for inclusion.

The "no expansion until 2023" decision is very conservative in my opinion given the extra revenue that will be flowing through the game in the next 5 years...

Even if you argued that the money is not there to cover an additional 2 teams, why couldn't they generate further revenue from the sale of a new ninth game time slot to the TV networks?

You could perhaps sell a Sunday night 6pm East Coast slot to Channel 10 which half of the time would be filled by the Perth team playing their home games at 4pm local time...

This would easily cover the $30 Mil a year to fund the two new teams..

taipan

Referee
The "no expansion until 2023" decision is very conservative in my opinion given the extra revenue that will be flowing through the game in the next 5 years...

Even if you argued that the money is not there to cover an additional 2 teams, why couldn't they generate further revenue from the sale of a new ninth game time slot to the TV networks?

You could perhaps sell a Sunday night 6pm East Coast slot to Channel 10 which half of the time would be filled by the Perth team playing their home games at 4pm local time...

This would easily cover the $30 Mil a year to fund the two new teams..

The question is would we want to see PR happy, with a Perth expansion.I'm almost getting used to his negativity.