What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Triple J To Change The Hottest 100 Date

Parra

Referee
Good marketing - is the hottest 100 still relevant? Either way this got it and JJJ some headlines off the back of the people who are try to stir racism via Australia Day. Expect to see other less relevant events and products strain for a bit of free publicity as well.

Mogsheen Jadwat

Juniors
Good marketing - is the hottest 100 still relevant? Either way this got it and JJJ some headlines off the back of the people who are try to stir racism via Australia Day. Expect to see other less relevant events and products strain for a bit of free publicity as well.
Relevant in what sense?

To some people it has always been irrelevant as they don't listen to the channel and thus are unlikely to ever participate, or give any sort of thought to it.

But you usually get 200,000+ voters for it, which shows that obviously it is relevant to a decent amount of people.

Parra

Referee
I'm old and out of touch.

It was a genuine question - from what I've seen teenagers don't even know the radio exists.

Mong

Post Whore
Over 2 million votes last year I recall them saying, biggest one ever apparently.

Mong

Post Whore
I don't recall a number of voters, year before was over 200k so assume it increased as well.

Mogsheen Jadwat

Juniors
I figure it's all spotify - make your own lists rather than listening to radio.
yep that is a lot of it, but i don't personally like them, it kinda shoehorns you into a genre instead of just hearing what hits next.

not a fan of one genre exclusively so id be doing myself a disservice in that instance, but for others that want the echo chamber of what they already like it's probably a good thing.

people paying for music though, lol. even if it is 10 bucks a month, you're insane imo.

Shorty

Staff member
I thought the hottest 100 died a couple years ago when Chet Faker bored everyone to death.
Yes there's always someone that clogs it up, I remember one year Amity Affliction had like 4 songs in it and I felt like I needed a panedol and a lie down after enduring all 4 entries.

roofromoz

First Grade
I try to vote in it each year but I struggle to find 5 songs I know let alone like enough to choose. Most new songs these days I find are on Spotify and are based on the genres I tend to listen to (indie and alternative rock mostly).

I haven't listened to the Hottest 100 for years. I now look at the list after the countdown and go through a Principal Skinner "am I so out of touch moment". What's a flume?

mongoose

Coach
the countdown is full of rap, edm, "alternative r&b", pixie girl songwriter stuff... guitar music isn't trendy anymore

bileduct

Coach
the countdown is full of rap, edm, "alternative r&b", pixie girl songwriter stuff... guitar music isn't trendy anymore
Yeah I noticed that at a bunch of Tea Party gigs the other week. Couldn't spot anyone under 30.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Yeah I noticed that at a bunch of Tea Party gigs the other week. Couldn't spot anyone under 30.

Yeah thats because anyone under 30 would be aged between not actually born and 10 when the Tea Party where at their commercial peak in Australia.

Latest posts