What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

Vic Mackey

Referee
Whilst I’m happy for the knights to get Pearce, in a way it sucks as you’d think the sharks or manly would have had to cut someone to get him in.

Clifferd

Coach
Strong chance Pearce would’ve went off the rails at a club like manly or Cronulla imo. Newcastle was the right choice

Parra will likely have to offload a couple players if they get Hayne

Val Holmes would have been nice, but I'm not sure paying overs for a winger when we could shore up our spine and back row a little more is the right move.

Shredder

Juniors
Honestly, I think where we stand now is better than it has been in many off seasons.

We have recruited virtually an entire new team.

I would suggest giving them a full off season, see how they gel into the start of next year, then look to spend more money to bolster.

We have more depth and options than I can ever remember, lets see how this first lot goes before we start making more purchases.

If we have any cash left over from the cap that we need to spend I would be front loading the longer contracts.

As an aside, just about the only position I would be looking at is the back row, where I think we might be one player skinny.

simmo05

Bench
Honestly, I think where we stand now is better than it has been in many off seasons.

I would suggest giving them a full off season, see how they gel into the start of next year, then look to spend more money to bolster.

We have more depth and options than I can ever remember, lets see how this first lot goes before we start making more purchases.

If we have any cash left over from the cap that we need to spend I would be front loading the longer contracts.

As an aside, just about the only position I would be looking at is the back row, where I think we might be one player skinny.
Papalli and Ethan Lowe off contract next year? Brown is the only other decent one imo

Tiger Ted

Bench

Yes undeniably we do have more depth than we r accustomed to at this usually rabble of a club.However my concern primarily lies with 1 & 7 & to a lesser extent 6 & 9.

We can’t recruit IC’s son quick enough coz geez we r clearly devoid of a quality game manager at the scrumbase.

The fact that Penrith swiftly re-signed May & Edwards a few weeks ago at the time IC made the comments about wanting to coach his son seems to indicate that Penrith r resigned to losing Nathan to us.I just hope it happens sooner than 2020 coz I have zero faith in the gump Brooks.Hence if the prodigal son brings his broncos attitude to Concord he should b wearing the 7 jersey for the majority of ‘18.

BrotherJim05

Bench
While I do agree that it would be great to maybe have 1 more big (ish) signing to the club, I think it would be a better idea to use the spare salary cap money to front load the contracts of players who haven't yet proved themselves as first graders. This gives us a safety net in case they end up being dropped to NSW cup or need to be moved on.

I seriously hope Brooks has a breakout season. Maybe it was just because I was so overwhelmed by his debut and rookie season, but I want to see him back to his best...or at least out shining Moses

Yes undeniably we do have more depth than we r accustomed to at this usually rabble of a club.However my concern primarily lies with 1 & 7 & to a lesser extent 6 & 9.

We can’t recruit IC’s son quick enough coz geez we r clearly devoid of a quality game manager at the scrumbase.

The fact that Penrith swiftly re-signed May & Edwards a few weeks ago at the time IC made the comments about wanting to coach his son seems to indicate that Penrith r resigned to losing Nathan to us.I just hope it happens sooner than 2020 coz I have zero faith in the gump Brooks.Hence if the prodigal son brings his broncos attitude to Concord he should b wearing the 7 jersey for the majority of ‘18.

On the contrary mate, Penrith will pull out the stops to make sure Nathan goes nowhere. I don't think that they are resigned to losing him at all. They are just trying to lock up their spine.

Perth Tiger

Bench
So looks like we have signed Pita Godinet. I guess the lack of comments reflects the excitement :)

He will be a decent State cup player but if he sees any first grade we are having a bad injury year and more than likely a shit year in general

Clifferd

Coach
Literally never heard of him. But based on his contract status I doubt he’ll be seeing any 1st grade next year

Perth Tiger

Bench
He has been around for a while, played first grade with the Warriors, Manly and in England. Was in the Samoa world cup squad and play 1 game I think.

But definitely a State cup player and I would expect on a 2nd tier contract

Tiger Ted

Bench
On the contrary mate, Penrith will pull out the stops to make sure Nathan goes nowhere. I don't think that they are resigned to losing him at all. They are just trying to lock up their spine.
No doubt the choc soldiers will b moving heaven & earth to retain Nathan.However IC who is measured & judicious re what he says has given me enormous confidence that Nathan will b a tiger with the recent comments that he wants to coach his son.

IC would certainly want to get one back at the conceited bully Gould by enticing his son to Concord.

The fact Penrith haven’t been able to extend Nathan’s contract after the deluded Gould came out trumpeting they were offering Nathan an extended 5yr $3m contract which is massive unders demonstrates the diminished likelihood he will remain a panther.

Like I’ve said b4 it won’t surprise if Nathan is at Concord b4 his current contract expires !!

I can c a deal been done involving the swapping of Nathan for the impostor Brooks.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Journeyman who can play 1/6/7/9. He is mainly a half in NSW cup but in first grade has been used as a bench hooker.

Good depth signing and really he is a better option then JMK who he is replacing. Won’t see 1st grade as I’d say he’ll be 5th choice half, 3rd choice hooker and 3rd/4th choice fullback.

Cleary coached him at NZ so wouldn’t have signed him if he wasn’t worth a gig.

Das Hassler

Bench
No doubt the choc soldiers will b moving heaven & earth to retain Nathan.However IC who is measured & judicious re what he says has given me enormous confidence that Nathan will b a tiger with the recent comments that he wants to coach his son.

IC would certainly want to get one back at the conceited bully Gould by enticing his son to Concord.

The fact Penrith haven’t been able to extend Nathan’s contract after the deluded Gould came out trumpeting they were offering Nathan an extended 5yr $3m contract which is massive unders demonstrates the diminished likelihood he will remain a panther.

Like I’ve said b4 it won’t surprise if Nathan is at Concord b4 his current contract expires !!

I can c a deal been done involving the swapping of Nathan for the impostor Brooks.

Nathan for Brooks...ive been thinking about that as well and mentioned to a friend yesterday that i'll be interested in Gould's comments on Brooks during the ch 9 games through next year

Last edited:

Vic Mackey

Referee
We still have 1 spot left in our top 30. I wonder how much cap space we have left for that player?

I reckon there’s a decent amount. Seems we aren’t in a rush to fill it and will likely start the season with a squad of 29. Not a bad idea really, no point buying someone for the sake of it then a real handy player becomes available a week later

Crazyperpman

Juniors
Does anyone know the rules around the 30 man squad? Do you have to have 30 players at some stage?

I am not a big fan of mid season transfers, it used to be you started with your squad and and did your best. Now when you sign a player for 3 years you really get 2 years because in the final year in January you are aware of the offers being made to the player, by April it is pretty much known if they are leaving and then they try the old mid season shuffle.

I am not sure of the solution as this can work in both the club and players favour, and clubs need to look ahead to next year's squad, but last year sucked big time.