What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sizzler shut down at st george leagues

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
'Cheaper to close rather than repair' refers to the Auditorium, not the club - i.e. The room itself wasnt generating enough revenue to justify restoring and using it. That, of course, is governed by the amount of revenue it generates, which in turn is reflective of the use of the room. Of course, the idiots in charge of running our leagues club wouldnt know what is required to fill a room that size on a regular basis. Makes more sense now.

My father often told me how the late great Johnny O’Keefe used to have them packed in like sardines!

Unfortunately, it’s a sign of the times that nowadays, there are very few decent acts to play an auditorium.

Today’s musicians lack the skill to be able to both sing in tune and play a guitar.

Sorry in advance to any young muso’s members here that prove me otherwise.

Frank Facer

First Grade
If St Geroge's league's club doesn't already own the land that Sizzler is on, then they definitely should be purchasing it and any other land a joining the Leagues Club too. That is what I would be doing if I was in charge. I would also be looking at a complete rebuild on an expanded block and something Grand with high rise apartments and or Motel rooms.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
If St Geroge's league's club doesn't already own the land that Sizzler is on, then they definitely should be purchasing it and any other land a joining the Leagues Club too. That is what I would be doing if I was in charge. I would also be looking at a complete rebuild on an expanded block and something Grand with high rise apartments and or Motel rooms.

FF, they used to own many of the houses around the club, including the street to the back entrance, which would house 'out of town ' players.

BennyV

Referee
My father often told me how the late great Johnny O’Keefe used to have them packed in like sardines!

Unfortunately, it’s a sign of the times that nowadays, there are very few decent acts to play an auditorium.

Today’s musicians lack the skill to be able to both sing in tune and play a guitar.

Nothing to do with quality of music acts, more that acts that appeal to youth would never book to that venue - any musician who could fill that room would prefer to go to the Enmore or somewhere to that effect.

That doesnt mean that there isnt opportunity to put shows on and draw a half respectable crowd. The large club I used to work at had shows on most weekend, ranging from comedians to musicians that appealed to the older crowds (Shannon Noll, for example). Sure, they didnt sell them all out but as long as they break even, they were maintaining interest in the club, as those who came to the shows would then have dinner at the Bistro or restaurant, grab a few drinks, maybe throw some notes through the pokies. It becomes worth it. And when there wasnt a show on, they'd be some sort of function - school formal, kids dance concert, large company dinners, etc. Hell, the busiest days at the club were when the Wiggles played!

The smallest amount of outside-the-box thinking could see that club set on it's way back up the ladder, and that's before you start considering potential uses of the land around it for hotels, apartments, shopping centres, child care, etc.

Coffs dragon

Bench

Bring back the retro old days when Warren Carr was the Musical Director of the Leagues Club for 30 years and had the resident Warren Carr Orchestra.
I know I'm showing my age and vintage but I got to see some great productions in: Jesus Christ Superstar and Hair plus saw heaps of great rock bands like Noiseworks, Dragon, Mondo Rock. Best concert I ever attended was the late Billy Thorpe playing in a band called "The Zoo" with Mick Fleetwood on drums and all American session musicians. OMG!
The good old halcyon days when you did not have to leave the St.George District to see top class entertainment.

merahputih

Juniors
I heard the concrete cancer thing wasn't true, just cover for the fact that there's no purpose for the Auditorium at the moment. If it were actually a thing, it would have to be treated anyway before causing structural damage to the rest of the structure. And treatment is not difficult.

Any treatment to structural elements on this type of building would be magnitudes cheaper than reconstruction.
"Concrete Cancer" sometimes is used as an excuse to tear down old and sometimes historic buildings to benefit a developer . I remember, as a resident of Darwin many years ago when the old Darwin Hotel which was as historic and similar in architecture to the Raffles in Singapore was deemed by the government to have concrete cancer. Despite many objections from residents the bulldozers came in at midnight, Joh Bjelke Petersen style and leveled it, to be replaced by a forgettable glass and steel booze barn. There are many buildings built in concrete by the Romans 2000 years ago that are still standing. Don't get me started on Gladys' plans for the Olympic Stadium & the SFS.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
I have never been to the King Wan restaurant, but I find the name very interesting! If the name is reversed you have the WanKing restaurant which probably closed once James Maloney left the Shire.

Wayne King is huge, all round the world.
Nothing like a bit of old time fiddling ............

maxresdefault.jpg

Wayne Kerr is almost as popular ............

yes-my-name-is-wayne-kerr.skreened-t-shirt.heathered-royal.w460h520b3t1.jpg

Latest posts