What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bellamy hints at leaving Storm

Pro Dragons

Juniors
Graig Bellamy has hinted at leaving Melbourne Storm at the end of next season if a position became available at the Titans. I know we tried for him a few years ago and I for one was disappointed when he decided to stay on at the Storm. He might be talking up his next contract up to stay on at the Storm but with the risk of being let down again I would like the club to try one more time. With the good young juniors coming through the ranks coupled with the likes of Widdop, Hunt and Graham under Bellamy's coaching the club would become a real force again. The club would also have a much better chance of keeping the rising talent under Bellamy rather than McGregor.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...e/news-story/ee7a5a2b7c573d01b09bde15d03c7add

CRAIG Bellamy says if he were to ever leave Melbourne, he would like to coach at the Gold Coast Titans.

But the Storm’s supercoach thinks his window may have closed with Garth Brennan’s appointment as Titans coach.

The premiership-winning coach was rumoured to have been a target for the Titans after they parted ways with Neil Henry towards the end of last season.

And while he said his contract with the Storm meant his hat was never in the ring to replace Henry, Bellamy said the Titans appealed as a club he would like to be involved with.

“I think the Gold Coast — as someone from the outside looking in — is a great place to base a sporting team in a competition like the NRL,” Bellamy said.
“Certainly if I was to ever change clubs as a coach, the Gold Coast would be a place of interest for me.

“But I have another year to go here, the Titans have just appointed a new coach, and I genuinely hope he does well. So me coaching up there is probably unlikely to happen now”.

Bellamy and the Storm will square off against Brennan’s new-look Titans at the Suncorp Stadium double-header on Saturday, May 12.

The double-header, which will also feature a clash between the Broncos and Manly, has become one of the feature events on the footy calendar and will again be the showcase match of the NRL’s indigenous Round.
Tickets go on sale on Monday, and until December 15 fans can purchase seats at “early bird” prices starting at $14.70 for juniors and $36.55 for adults.

Suncorp Stadium General Manager Alan Graham said fans who purchase tickets during the “early bird” window would also go into the running to win a 2018 Double-header VIP Experience.

In Melbourne’s all-conquering 2017 season, the Storm only lost on four occasions — and one of those was an unexpected 38-36 loss to the Titans at Suncorp.

“I am not a big fan of taking a home game away, I have to say,” Bellamy said. “But if we do have to take a home game away, I am glad that we are taking it Suncorp Stadium.

“The double-header is a great concept because it creates a real big-match atmosphere. There is a real fondness in our team for Suncorp. It’s something we look forward to every year.”

CRAIG Bellamy says if he were to ever leave Melbourne, he would like to coach at the Gold Coast Titans.

But the Storm’s supercoach thinks his window may have closed with Garth Brennan’s appointment as Titans coach.

The premiership-winning coach was rumoured to have been a target for the Titans after they parted ways with Neil Henry towards the end of last season.

And while he said his contract with the Storm meant his hat was never in the ring to replace Henry, Bellamy said the Titans appealed as a club he would like to be involved with.

“I think the Gold Coast — as someone from the outside looking in — is a great place to base a sporting team in a competition like the NRL,” Bellamy said.

f06a96b39b75a8a6fef95bbdcef6c70c

Bellamy has coached the Storm since 2003.
“Certainly if I was to ever change clubs as a coach, the Gold Coast would be a place of interest for me.

“But I have another year to go here, the Titans have just appointed a new coach, and I genuinely hope he does well. So me coaching up there is probably unlikely to happen now”.

Bellamy and the Storm will square off against Brennan’s new-look Titans at the Suncorp Stadium double-header on Saturday, May 12.

The double-header, which will also feature a clash between the Broncos and Manly, has become one of the feature events on the footy calendar and will again be the showcase match of the NRL’s indigenous Round.

966619f73265ab6b9d0ee032bd8c2e6e

Garth Brennan was appointed as Neil Henry’s replacement on the Gold Coast.
Tickets go on sale on Monday, and until December 15 fans can purchase seats at “early bird” prices starting at $14.70 for juniors and $36.55 for adults.

Suncorp Stadium General Manager Alan Graham said fans who purchase tickets during the “early bird” window would also go into the running to win a 2018 Double-header VIP Experience.

In Melbourne’s all-conquering 2017 season, the Storm only lost on four occasions — and one of those was an unexpected 38-36 loss to the Titans at Suncorp.

“I am not a big fan of taking a home game away, I have to say,” Bellamy said. “But if we do have to take a home game away, I am glad that we are taking it Suncorp Stadium.

“The double-header is a great concept because it creates a real big-match atmosphere. There is a real fondness in our team for Suncorp. It’s something we look forward to every year.”

ALMOST: Titans in the verge of sale

PAY RISE: Winds of change sweep over Test footy

One thing Bellamy won’t have to plan for in his preparations for the Titans match next year is Jarryd Hayne, who officially quit the Titans to rejoin Parramatta during the week.

“I don’t like to make comments about what is happening at another club and their players. But I will say, I find the whole thing to be a real shame to see it play out the way it did,” he said.

“It turned out to be quite a devastating time for a couple of guys there. Neil Henry is gone, and now Jarryd is gone.

“Everyone lost out of the whole saga, and the biggest loser has been the Titans because they did what they thought was right, and at the end of it they lost their coach and their marquee player.

“It got to the stage where one of them had to go, and now they are both gone and the club has to start again.”

Last edited:

AyiosYiorgos

Coach
Graig Bellamy has hinted at leaving Melbourne Storm at the end of next season if a position became available at the Titans. I know we tried for him a few years ago and I for one was disappointed when he decided to stay on at the Storm. He might be talking up his next contract up to stay on at the Storm but with the risk of being let down again I would like the club to try one more time. With the good young juniors coming through the ranks coupled with the likes of Widdop, Hunt and Graham under Bellamy's coaching the club would become a real force again. The club would also have a much better chance of keeping the rising talent under Bellamy rather than McGregor.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...e/news-story/ee7a5a2b7c573d01b09bde15d03c7add
Post the article...

possm

Coach
Won't happen. He'd want total control over the roster and Millward won't surrender that.

He most probably won't come to us for the above reason and many others however, your comment begs the question; who runs our Club Millward, his father or the Board?

The current arrangements were introduced for a few reasons:
Mary does not have what it takes to perform the full duties of a head coach.
The Millward family wanted a management position and pathway for Ian Millward.
The Young family wanted a coaching position and pathway for Dean Young.

A change shifting Millward reporting to the Head Coach while still retaining his salary and contract length is possible. This one change puts a new head coach effectively in charge of the roster.

Last edited:

Drag Queen

Bench

The link isn't working Pro.

Life's Good

Coach
Without the article it's hard to comment. What I will say is that Bellamy going to another club is the sort of thing that would be ideal for him to prove/confirm his credentials(not needed for me, he is a good coach).
If it's at all possible it makes you wonder why Mary was extended for 2 seasons instead of 1.
Our player recruitment is on the up but we haven't learnt anything about coaching appointments since Bennett.

Last edited:

Saintsified

Bench
Its his way of saying wants to go North and potentially retire after, watch Broncos go for him...thats where he will end up, without him actually saying it, he has been there before.

Pro Dragons

Juniors
Post the article...

f06a96b39b75a8a6fef95bbdcef6c70c

Bellamy has coached the Storm since 2003.

966619f73265ab6b9d0ee032bd8c2e6e

Garth Brennan was appointed as Neil Henry’s replacement on the Gold Coast.

ALMOST: Titans in the verge of sale

PAY RISE: Winds of change sweep over Test footy

One thing Bellamy won’t have to plan for in his preparations for the Titans match next year is Jarryd Hayne, who officially quit the Titans to rejoin Parramatta during the week.

“I don’t like to make comments about what is happening at another club and their players. But I will say, I find the whole thing to be a real shame to see it play out the way it did,” he said.

“It turned out to be quite a devastating time for a couple of guys there. Neil Henry is gone, and now Jarryd is gone.

“Everyone lost out of the whole saga, and the biggest loser has been the Titans because they did what they thought was right, and at the end of it they lost their coach and their marquee player.

“It got to the stage where one of them had to go, and now they are both gone and the club has to start again.”

nontime111

Juniors
Please make it so! We have SO much more potential here for a chock a block coach! way more than GC!

Coffs dragon

Bench
There's more chance of peace in the Middle East than Bellamy coming to the Dragons! The article states he has a desire to finally retire in QLD one day. I cannot see him leave a club like the Storm which he set up with their successful programs & structure to enter our old boys brigade club short on cash and lack of vision.
Bellamy builds from the ground up, with our mob he would have to demolish, clear and then attempt to re-build.

SEAT 1A

Bench
Bellamy at Dragons 2019. Called it a year ago.

Hope so Crush, that would be a nice xmas present.

Agree with your comment on Millward, Dangling a strong roster is a good start followed up by the $$$. Imagine Graham and Bellamy two madman at the club.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
For us to get Bellamy we should appoint a committee to review the performance of the club and make recommendations to improve. Oh wait......

Agree Life's Good
If we stopped paying the committee.
As I can't see what they do.
We might have the money to pay out McGregor and get a better coach.
There is a few around.
Or even make a big play at bellamy

Last edited:

T-Boon

Coach
In a way it would be cool to see him inaugural head coach of a second Brisbane team. But since I despise his coaching I just want hime to retire.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
I think Bellamy is more likely to retire from coaching full time. The reference to the Titans may be in the form of a coaching director role overseeing young Brennan (particularly how they perform in 2018).
It would be a great role for him also at the Dragons overseeing McGregor or whoever they appoint next. But hey that may unearth too many of the fossils we have buried deep within our heirachy.
Cant see that happening.