What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Glenn James Maxwell - THE BIG SHOW...

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I would think MMarsh only plays if we want SOK to play which wont happen in Australia

Fangs

Coach
I would think MMarsh only plays if we want SOK to play which wont happen in Australia

You underestimate our selectors obsession with all-rounders.

Watch all the bullshit talk about 'bowler burn-out' if Australia loses this test. M.Marsh into the team is a ready-made...ahem...'solution'.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
At the time he was averaging 28 and looked like a legit genius.

Might as well make fun of Bill Gates for saying 640K of ram would be enough for anybody.

You think people havn't made fun of Bill Gates for that comment? Or you don't think Smith now looks like a genius cos his average is over 60?

But I'm glad you're still on the forum, and my bump was in jest and good natured acknowledging and paying tribute to Smith's success.

I myself wondered years ago if he could succeed against left armers with his technique - and he did.

Last edited:

ANTiLAG

First Grade
What Steve Smith looked like when he started in international cricket:

What Steve Smith looks like today with a test batting average over 60:

Fangs

Coach
Maxwell will soon follow M.Marsh as an immortal.

3.Khwaja
4.Smith
5.Maxwell
6.Marsh

Welcome to the future brah

You think people havn't made fun of Bill Gates for that comment? Or you don't think Smith now looks like a genius cos his average is over 60?

But I'm glad you're still on the forum, and my bump was in jest and good natured acknowledging and paying tribute to Smith's success.

I myself wondered years ago if he could succeed against left armers with his technique - and he did.

I looked through my old LU posts.

On occasion I have said things to the effect:

Warner - won't and can't make it at Test level; he was 'hit and myth'.

Johnson - when he broke his foot and disappeared for a year prior to 2013/14, I was dancing on his grave saying he was f**ked and wouldn't be missed.

Mitch Marsh - Friday, he wouldn't score more than 24. Yesterday, he'd be lucky to score 7.

I'm one helluva a f**ktard apparently.

Fangs

Coach
Maxwell cleary doesn't gel with the current Australian leadership group. Thats about to change very quickly.

Has a big role to play in all 3 formats now. Huge opportunity not just for a place in the side but for the captaincy.

Fangs

Coach
The door is now wide open thats for sure.

Smith and Lehmann have kept him on the outside for a while. I doubt JL or Ponting would do the same.

WaznTheGreat

Referee
It's actually clear to me now,after Andrew Flintoff owned us in 2005 we really needed to have a team of 11 all-rounders

billygilmore

Juniors
It's actually clear to me now,after Andrew Flintoff owned us in 2005 we really needed to have a team of 11 all-rounders

Remember before that series when we foolishly used to use the the number 6 position for grooming a future top order batsman, so many wasted talents that could have had great test careers, the Ian Harvey’s, Shane Lee’s, James bloody Hopes. Such a waste

TheParraboy

Staff member
Id give the show a go, never played a test on home soil

Wont get picked cause doesn't fit into JLs happy hand shacking environment

https://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/cri...-he-wasnt-selected/ar-BBRK4tQ?ocid=spartanntp

After missing out on selection for the UAE, Maxwell was told to go home and score centuries. That’s proven difficult, with the talented all-rounder’s short-form international commitments limiting him to two matches.

In four innings, he’s totalled 126 runs at 42.00 – or .57 less than fellow Test fringe option Marcus Stoinis.

There is the upcoming Test series against Sri Lanka to consider. “Depending on how this Test goes they’ll look at where they’re going and if they need to make wholesale changes – or a couple of changes – I’m sure new guys will come into the squad,” Maxwell said.

It’s unlikely to be him, though.

“I think the way they look at it, they think that I’ve got enough opportunities to have shown what I’ve got in the Test arena and they weren’t happy with what they saw.”

“If I can pile some runs on at the back ends of this summer, who knows? But it’s too hard to concentrate on anything too far ahead. They’ve picked their squad for the moment and I wish them all the best.”

If it was up to commentator Kerry O’Keefe, Maxwell would have his eighth Test appearance this week.

“I’d have gone with Glenn Maxwell in the middle-order because I just think he’s a slow pitch batsman,” O’Keeffe said this week.

“I know it’s a horse-and-course (selection) and you shouldn’t have that as a parameter, but I just like Glenn Maxwell on a slow surface. He got a hundred in Ranchi against India on a slow turning surface. This will be similar.

“I just don’t understand the problems that they seem to have with Glenn Maxwell. His off-spin could have diddled a few overs, he brings a lot in the field.”