What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Least Favourite TV Commentator (New Poll)

Least favourite TV Commentator

• Warne

Votes: 40 51.3%
  • Slater

Votes: 14 17.9%
  • Healy

Votes: 10 12.8%
  • Nicholas

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • Lawry

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Ian Chappell

Votes: 11 14.1%
  • KP

Votes: 13 16.7%
  • Tubby Taylor

Votes: 8 10.3%
  • Border

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Clarke

Votes: 9 11.5%

• Total voters

hineyrulz

Post Whore
When Nickelarse first arrived I hated him with a passion, now he is my least hated commentator.

The rest are absolute garbage, Cheer leaders who wave their Pom Poms whenever an Aussie does something good.

Tubby was always reasonable and I could cop Healy in small doses but since Ritchie took a back seat and the arrival of Warne it had gotten far worse.

And since we have lost the great man it has become downright unlistenable. It’s like it Warnies little boys club, a place to dribble about the old times and to settle some scores on air.

Incorrect

Coach
I'd love to be a fly on the wall if Symonds and Clarke ever found themselves in the same room... especially if Symonds had a skinful of XXXX Gold under his belt....

mozza91

Coach
Kerry O’Keefe and Phil Tufnell are pretty much the only ones worth feeding on the Triple M coverage from what I’ve heard. The comedians and women provide very little and Brayshaw has everyone on Channel 9 covered in the wanker department which is saying something.

Still don’t know why they don’t have Hussey and especially Lee still commentating they were good additions imo.

Incorrect

Coach
Kerry O’Keefe and Phil Tufnell are pretty much the only ones worth feeding on the Triple M coverage from what I’ve heard. The comedians and women provide very little and Brayshaw has everyone on Channel 9 covered in the wanker department which is saying something.

Still don’t know why they don’t have Hussey and especially Lee still commentating they were good additions imo.
What about Gus Worland.... He's cool isn't he??

Bazal

Post Whore

I haven't listened to Triple M at all but Isa Guha is a very good commentator.

As for Lee and Hussey, they suffer from the same thing Clarke does IMO. Know the game, talk well about it, but their inflections are all wrong and it's jarring. Plus they often come across like they're reading prepared statements.

Still, better than Warnie by absolute light years.

Incorrect

Coach
I haven't listened to Triple M at all but Isa Guha is a very good commentator.
She's the most attractive commentator as well...... just ahead of Chappelli

1416323641951_Image_galleryImage_LONDON_ENGLAND_APRIL_11_I.JPG
45EA1CF600000578-5040403-image-a-2_1509566773566.jpg

vvvrulz

Coach
Nicholas goes astronomically over the top at times, but through sheer process of elimination now stands as the only bastard in the box who talks sense, is articulate and generally impartial.

Commentary worldwide is at an all time low, in my lifetime at least. NZ has dropped off with the loss of Crowe, Coney going to radio, and Morrison chilling in Asia as a parody of himself. Ian Smith ended up the best of our lot and that says everything. Similar trends elsewhere as KP, Strauss, Laxman, Russel Arnold etc just walked into roles they have no skills for.

Get these hearty old ex-mates club the f— out of there and enlist some genuine callers.

Das Gupta

Juniors
Nine’s cricket isn’t the sound of summer anymore
The grating, self-obsessed, fingers-down-the-blackboard whine of Kevin Pietersen, the pointless oxygen-theft of Michael Clarke who can use a thousand words to say nothing,

smiley.gif

Attachments

• upload_2017-12-7_12-52-41.gif
    upload_2017-12-7_12-52-41.gif
    3.3 KB · Views: 4

AJB1102

First Grade
I've only caught a few hours of the last couple nights at Adelaide and can say confidently KP and Clarke are the worst.

KP and his everything is "its quite truly amazing/brilliant/beautiful. Its really, really is." Everything he says he confirms with "really, really is whatever I said it was". Don't get me started on that f**king giggle of his.

And Clarke with insights like "bowling team will be looking to get batter out here" and "batter will look to score as many runs as he can" - no shit mate?

PJ

First Grade
I've only caught a few hours of the last couple nights at Adelaide and can say confidently KP and Clarke are the worst.

KP and his everything is "its quite truly amazing/brilliant/beautiful. Its really, really is." Everything he says he confirms with "really, really is whatever I said it was". Don't get me started on that f**king giggle of his.

And Clarke with insights like "bowling team will be looking to get batter out here" and "batter will look to score as many runs as he can" - no shit mate?

As bad as that admittedly is, I prefer it to plastic mans cheap shots at past team mates when they have no right of reply.

Really sums up how low a human he is.

But he sure could bowl.

roofromoz

First Grade
I wish we had David "Bumble" Lloyd over here instead of KP

That summer he did a stint for Nine was great... I think it may have been the England ODI series before the last WC. Someone at Nine needs to 'start the car' and offer him a permanent spot. Would immediately be better than at least half the current team.

roofromoz

First Grade
I look back on those seasons from the mid 90s when as a teenager I basically ate, drank and breathed cricket with great fondness. Couldn't play that well, but I wanted to be like Steve Waugh. He still to this day is my favourite cricketer of all time. Another reason was the commentary. Sure, Lawry was over the top, Greig was always cheering for the opposition and Chappelli was a then 50-something curmudgeon. But at least there was an underlying quality about them. And then there was Benaud running the whole show.

I somehow don't think my children in 20 years time are going to look back on the current crop with the same fondness that we look back on that gang.

AJB1102

First Grade
Bumble is brilliant.

Bumble doing himself with Birmingham doing the greats. Sack the rest.

vvvrulz

Coach

I guess Clarke has been attending the Sanjay Manjrekar school of Captain Obvious.

I just miss the days when commentators used to take a stance on things. Greig ripped into Pakistani players infighting during an ICL match claiming he's seen it all before and he's sick of it; Benaud called the underarm a disgrace, Chappell called Slater ridiculous when he tore into Dravid after a not out decision.

It was ok to have an opinion and call a spade, but now it's more like Jerry The King Lawler. A piece of sledging nowadays gets a "wha ho!" or "oh boy!" or "turn up the heat!" ... followed by "hey remember when Heals did that to you Binga?". Horrible.

Another point while I'm thinking about shit commentary: what is the deal now with failing to actually call the action as a shot is played?

Lawry for example would go into racehorse mode: "He's hit that through extra covers - it's through the in-field - Ponting is after it - he won't get there! It's beaten him! It's four more to Sangakkara!".

Now it is: "awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww ............. he has *smashed* that !! ......... DAVEY WARNER !!! "

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I am so much looking forward to the Marshes taking over our commentary box in the near future, you can never have too many Marshes

Blade23

Juniors
I guess Clarke has been attending the Sanjay Manjrekar school of Captain Obvious.

I just miss the days when commentators used to take a stance on things. Greig ripped into Pakistani players infighting during an ICL match claiming he's seen it all before and he's sick of it; Benaud called the underarm a disgrace, Chappell called Slater ridiculous when he tore into Dravid after a not out decision.

It was ok to have an opinion and call a spade, but now it's more like Jerry The King Lawler. A piece of sledging nowadays gets a "wha ho!" or "oh boy!" or "turn up the heat!" ... followed by "hey remember when Heals did that to you Binga?". Horrible.

Good points.
The current crop prefer Interjections than tough opinions, excluding Chappell & Warne's grudges which we must hear regularly, added with the constant bum licking by Warne, KP, Slats, Heals and Clarke on each other. Its not really professional commentary.
The multiple references of 'remember when Heals did that' and Hey Slats tell us about your days driving a Ferrari' are stories the public need not hear again and again let alone once.
If I had my way I would cull two thirds of the nein commentary team and start again. It says it all when most of us on here would prefer to listen to outsiders like Bumble and Vaughan than are own mob.

Another point while I'm thinking about shit commentary: what is the deal now with failing to actually call the action as a shot is played?
Lawry for example would go into racehorse mode: "He's hit that through extra covers - it's through the in-field - Ponting is after it - he won't get there! It's beaten him! It's four more to Sangakkara!".

Now it is: "awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww ............. he has *smashed* that !! ......... DAVEY WARNER !!! "

Slats is the worst culprit for that. He must think in his tiny mind that he is cool and is connecting with the youth of today. Please we are watching test cricket not 20/20 hit & giggle.

roofromoz

First Grade

That is a snapshot of how it is done these days.

If Richie was calling that play, no doubt it would have been an understated "would you believe it"... about 5 seconds after Lyon started celebrating.

vvvrulz

Coach
If Richie was calling that play, no doubt it would have been an understated "would you believe it"... about 5 seconds after Lyon started celebrating.

I'm assuming you're saying that's a good thing, because it is.
Benaud had the forgotten art of subtlety, so when he cranked up just a notch you know shit just got real.

Of course you had to pair him up with a Lawry or Greigy - he'd be the grounder.
Cricket is a slow burning game, commentators seem to have forgotten that.