What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where will the St George Illawarra Dragons finish in 2018?

Where will the St George Illawarra Dragons finish in 2018?

• 1st to 4th

Votes: 12 12.1%
  • 5th to 8th

Votes: 65 65.7%
  • 9th to 12th

Votes: 19 19.2%
  • 13th to 16th

Votes: 3 3.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Coffs dragon

Bench
No offence Coff but we are getting Agar from Warrington, Price's new team. Warrington did not end the year well and certainly not a powerhouse having finished 9th in ESL. Just a thought.
More like a Powerhouse that ran out of power......sounds familiar!

A tougher draw, sides including Cowboys, Newcastle, Bulldogs, Tigers, Roosters to mention a few are looking much stronger. This doesn't bear well for the dragons finishing high up the ladder but I'm hoping we escape a few tight ones and scrape in, finishing 8th on the back of our forwards and halves.

Black ball 8 for me.
Say we finish 8th - is that a result that would make the fan base happy?
With our roster is 8th really good enough?
Or is 8th just enough for the Board to rationalize McGregor's position as head coach?
I fear that even a close call 9th will still not see the back of McGregor - same as this year.
8th will see him saddle up for another year at least.
Bottom line is that premierships are not won from the bottom half of the finals.
The current regime is just not serious about winning premiership because they are too busy seat warming and worrying about their own interests.
Put the Cub first.
Put the Fans next because without Fans you don't have a club. AND
Run the club on merit and performance.

If you look at all the perennially successful clubs, that is their philosophy.
It's not an industry secret...

Crush

Coach
Or is 8th just enough for the Board to rationalize McGregor's position as head coach?
I fear that even a close call 9th will still not see the back of McGregor - same as this year.
Bottom line is that premierships are not won from the bottom half of the finals.
The current regime is just not serious about winning premiership because they are too busy seat warming and worrying about their own interests.
Put the Cub first.

If we finish outside the 8 then we will have a new coach in 2019

getsmarty

Immortal
If we finish outside the 8 then we will have a new coach in 2019

Probably not...The Board will say he has the roster he wants and that they are looking forward to 2019.
They will just press repeat, like every other year. Only way they sack him is if we finish with the spoon and I can't see that happening.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Put the Cub first.

To me dennis.
With our roster
Anything less than 5th or 6 is a failure
Top 4 is a over achievement
7 or 8 or lower is a failure.
If we go deep into the semis mybe a pass mark.

Last edited:

Sheridan Stand

Juniors
Probably not...The Board will say he has the roster he wants and that they are looking forward to 2019.
They will just press repeat, like every other year. Only way they sack him is if we finish with the spoon and I can't see that happening.
They didn’t even do a review this year.

The Board are a joke - we are North SYDNEY whether you like it or not.

They will be happy as long as we don’t run last.

Why oh why does our team have to be gone like this - I always thought Canterbury, Cronulla and Easts would fall as SYDNEY buckles well well well before our grand dame.

RIP St George Illawarra.

Turn off the life support. The coma needs to end.

Belta

Juniors
DP said; "[The Dragons] ... are not serious about winning [the] premiership..."

All things considered, as each year passes, being a dragons fan hoping for a premiership win seems an increasingly unlikely event. I say this after learning about our opposition. Eg NQLD 2018 have at their disposal, to name a few; Scott, Granville, Taumololo, Maclean, Hess, Asiata, Bolton, Cooper, Lowe, Thurston, Morgan, Coote, Linnett, winterstein, Oneil..etc ..same with Melbourne and so on, monster packs with classy back lines. On paper we just don't match them. Not saying we can't beat them but it just looks progressively more difficult

Still I'm hopeful we go all the way. Go the Dragons

Overseas dragon

Juniors
Realistically......In 2018 we'll have the Forwards and Halves we need to make the 8 but not the firepower out wide to match it with the top 4 sides. Our backline, as is, simply doesn't have the class to get us to the top. That could change if a couple of our juniors get a run and become overnight legends but that's a tad unlikely.
Hopefully though we'll win more than we lose and at least be competitive.
Let's hope we have injuries in the backline.thats the only way the Young guns will get a gig .

possm

Coach
Our Coach has been going backwards and is inept.
Only learning curve is a spiral downward.
The fans deserve much better than having to watch McGregor trying to learn how to be an NRL FG coach for 3 years in a row.
While our roster has been enhanced, nearly all other teams have also been very active improving their rosters and in some cases, changing their coaching regimes.
No pushover games next year which means more close games.
Much harder draw to contend with compared to the last couple of seasons.
That's where coaches earn their money - winning those close games and grabbing those competition points.
McGregor has a terrible track record in close games.
That is why I have grave doubts about any improvement on the competition table in 2018.
There was no justification in extending the contracts of the coaching staff midway through 2017 and no justification for not replacing them at seasons end in 2017. The Board and senior management have a lot to answer for and that'll be why there is no 2017 season review.

Life's Good

Coach
I’m confident we have a Top 8 squad. We will be in the same sort of battle as this year with added leadership/creativity we lacked at crucial times in the awful end of year slide. That will be the difference in spite of the lack of tactical nous of our coach to adapt our game to suit what is required(bench selection, rotation and as simple as instructing the kicker to aim for Nene on the wing as an example).

watatank

Coach
It's hard to say where we will end up. I think the squad is alright but have no faith in the person in charge of getting the most out of that squad.

Latest posts