What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cameron McInnes

possm

Coach
I am very happy with the long term extension of McInnes and I am very much looking forward to a hooker rotation of McInnes and Robson. I am also very surprised that our Club was not the first to announce this.

Life's Good

Coach
Pros - High work rate, tough
Cons - Needs to run more

I think the addition of Hunt will ignite the running game in McInnes. I've said elsewhere that the running game of Hunt(which is very good)was because of his combination with McCullough who would get out of dummy half and look to link with Hunt/Milford(particularly 2015). If McInnes can offer that sort of support to Hunt then there is no reason why they can't create that sort of momentum in our attack.

Walpole

Juniors
Good re-signing. McGregor's "game plan" and poor use of the bench this year really took a toll on McInnes. In 2016 with Souths he averaged 38.2 tackles and 6.7 runs a game for 49m, while this year it was 48.7 tackles and 4.4 runs for 31m.

As fit as he is, I imagine playing 80 minutes every week and defending in the middle left very little energy for running the ball. If we can find a way to give him a break in games, McInnes could be one of the best hookers in the game. Could Hame Sele, for instance, fill in for 5-10 minutes, then revert to the back row once McInnes returned? Just a suggestion. Unfortunately that's all in Mary's hands.

SEAT 1A

Bench
Great re - signing. He's a happy camper if he feels that he's playing his best footy with us.

I presume Cameron and the club want a 80 minute hooker. I don't know if the club can call last season as a conditioning year to allow him to play for the 80 as Sivilli wasn't used however, if is was the case it's been done and we will see the results.

kit66

Bench
good news, very durable and...yes...classy.

Running game - not his fault. Coaches dont wont 80 min hookers gassing themselves...Lichaa at doggies same thing. One size fits all coaching.

True. Don't forget we have D.Young as assistant coach - not known for his skills at hooker - tackle, pass, tackle some more, wave to dad.......sorry.

Dannyboy80

Juniors
IMHO Thompson shoulda always been in the centres. He'd be quicker & tougher than the current pair
Price tried playing Thommo in the centres when he first joined the club, and it nearly led to him asking for a release to go back to Canberra, he hated playing there that much.

Great move by dragons with McInnes though, guy is still young, tough as anything, and best thing is that he improves every year of NRL he plays. Who knows how much better he can get! Also got a mention from Ben Hunt as one of the reasons he was excited to join Red V. If we can lock in a Fullback, whether it’s Dufty, Marsters, Widdop or whatever than it’s the makings of a few good years ahead.

Overseas dragon

Juniors
Good re-signing. McGregor's "game plan" and poor use of the bench this year really took a toll on McInnes. In 2016 with Souths he averaged 38.2 tackles and 6.7 runs a game for 49m, while this year it was 48.7 tackles and 4.4 runs for 31m.

As fit as he is, I imagine playing 80 minutes every week and defending in the middle left very little energy for running the ball. If we can find a way to give him a break in games, McInnes could be one of the best hookers in the game. Could Hame Sele, for instance, fill in for 5-10 minutes, then revert to the back row once McInnes returned? Just a suggestion. Unfortunately that's all in Mary's hands.
NICHOLLS will probably be used as back up hooker by a clever coach.? Do we have one of them.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Pros - High work rate, tough
Cons - Needs to run more

I think the addition of Hunt will ignite the running game in McInnes. I've said elsewhere that the running game of Hunt(which is very good)was because of his combination with McCullough who would get out of dummy half and look to link with Hunt/Milford(particularly 2015). If McInnes can offer that sort of support to Hunt then there is no reason why they can't create that sort of momentum in our attack.

Agree Lifes Good
Re above
Remember when McCullough first started ge didn't run as much either.
With Robson coming though you have a running hooker.
If McGregor let him run more and frees him up He will go better.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Good re-signing and I think McInnes understands the deficiencies in his game. He will work on them and having security of 9, 7 and 6 (just need to bed down a fullback) gives the team certainty ala Storm.
As for young Robson i think he is 20 next year and does need some development time in reserve grade as he was inbetween reserves and U20's this season. According to the player profiles he is taller and heavier than McInnes so I think he will become an important key player in our top squad as a bench hooker/forward in the Havili mold. Its probably why Havili was let go.
I can see the same rotation McInnes/Robson as the Cowboys had with Granville/Kostjaysen.

Red V for life

Juniors
Good signing and very happy with this. The kid gets through so much work...he’s one of those players you don’t realise how much you miss the work they do until they’re gone.

Hopefully, the game plan this year provides him with more opportunities to run and our ball security is way better so the poor bast@rd doesn’t have to tackle all day!

Also think more organisation in the halves with Hunt and pure agro up front with Graham will help.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
3 out of the 4 in the spine signed long term. Just need fullback to be signed long term. Anyone know how long Saints have Dufty locked up for?

Then again Widdop may be playing No.1, who knows after his efforts in the World Cup.

True_Believer

Juniors
Agree Lifes Good
Re above
Remember when McCullough first started ge didn't run as much either.
With Robson coming though you have a running hooker.
If McGregor let him run more and frees him up He will go better.

What everyone seems to forget is that McInnes acknowledged he wasn't running enough in an interview earlier in the year. He stated that Mary had given him freedom to play his own game but he had admitted to not running enough and it was a deficiency in the way he currently played (even Souths supporters said he rarely ran from DH). So it hasn't been the coach restricting him at all - I suspect he's implemented his own limitations on his game while he becomes accoustomed to the 80 minute game and the tackling machine he has become. Once he's OK with that or feels comfortable enough, he'll step up his game.

Latest posts