What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

BuffaloRules

Coach
Other teams are signing the likes of Mitchell Pearce, Maloney and Cronk and the Tigers are chasing after Pita Godinet who is about 5ft 3 and 45kgs....

Never change Wests Tigers Management in your relentless quest to be the best...

Tigerm

First Grade
Other teams are signing the likes of Mitchell Pearce, Maloney and Cronk and the Tigers are chasing after Pita Godinet who is about 5ft 3 and 45kgs....

Is it known that we didn't show interest? Did we have the money? Would've liked one of them, but happy with what we got currently. I understand we still have space for one more, so who knows who that might be. I guess next season will tell where/if we are lacking.

BuffaloRules

Coach
Is it known that we didn't show interest? Did we have the money? Would've liked one of them, but happy with what we got currently. I understand we still have space for one more, so who knows who that might be. I guess next season will tell where/if we are lacking.

I assume they have the money as the squad they are trotting out next year appears inferior to most others in the comp...

By way of comparison, Manly are saying that they still have $800K to spare and their squad is better than ours...

My point is by signing Godinet they only have space for one more now and I don't see in what capacity he is expected to contribute to the NRL team.. ( fourth string hooker or halfback??)

Bluntly in case you are still trying to ascertain how I feel about this signing - I think he will be a dud.

Vic Mackey

Referee

Cmon mate not every player you sign is going to be a superstar. Godinet hasn't been signed to be in our 17. He will likely be coming off the bench for nsw cup.

The clubs who signed the guys you mentioned have also signed Junior Roqica, Tyrone Phillips and Reece Robinson, those are the equivalent signings to Godinet.

Vic Mackey

Referee
So how is a bench player for NSW Cup in the Top 30 players for the club?

Because he is a half/hooker utility.

Would be 5th choice half and 3rd choice hooker. I would say every club would have 3 hooker options in their squad. Remember last year we had situations where Littlejohn, ET and JMK playing 9. Having a guy who can genuinely play 9 is better then losing ETs attributes on the edge for us.

BuffaloRules

Coach
Because he is a half/hooker utility.

Would be 5th choice half and 3rd choice hooker. I would say every club would have 3 hooker options in their squad. Remember last year we had situations where Littlejohn, ET and JMK playing 9. Having a guy who can genuinely play 9 is better then losing ETs attributes on the edge for us.

If they were unfortunate enough to have both their hookers out at the same time then I would be hoping they turn to ET or even Reynolds in those circumstances and move Lolo back to 6...

Yes, ET is better on the edge, but does playing Godinet at 9 improve the team instead?

Godinet has played 2 NRL games in the last two years at Manly..

He is 29 years old as well ( turns 30 next week), so further improvement appears unlikely..

Vic Mackey

Referee
If they were unfortunate enough to have both their hookers out at the same time then I would be hoping they turn to ET or even Reynolds in those circumstances and move Lolo back to 6...

Yes, ET is better on the edge, but does playing Godinet at 9 improve the team instead?

Godinet has played 2 NRL games in the last two years at Manly..

He is 29 years old as well ( turns 30 next week), so further improvement appears unlikely..

So who do you propose we sign? See if Cam Smith will play NSW cup for us?

BuffaloRules

Coach
So who do you propose we sign? See if Cam Smith will play NSW cup for us?

How about someone at least 8 years younger with at least a 1 percent chance of developing into a solid first grader down the track ..instead of a 30 yr old journeyman that has played 2 NRL games in the last 5 years and we hope never sees any game time next year.,.

This reminds me of Jason Taylor dumpster diving to fill out the squad with a Rankin/ Littlejohn type signing that no one else wants...

I honestly thought that Ivan was better than that and given they were no longer paying half their salary cap to the Big 4 and Farah anymore that they might be able to afford someone better.:.

Guess not..

Tiger05

First Grade
I'm not worried about our 29th signing for next year. I can't see him getting much time in first grade. It'd be great to get a quality 30th signing but I can't see it happening.

Vic Mackey

Referee
How about someone at least 8 years younger with at least a 1 percent chance of developing into a solid first grader down the track ..instead of a 30 yr old journeyman that has played 2 NRL games in the last 5 years and we hope never sees any game time next year.,.

This reminds me of Jason Taylor dumpster diving to fill out the squad with a Rankin/ Littlejohn type signing that no one else wants...

I honestly thought that Ivan was better than that and given they were no longer paying half their salary cap to the Big 4 and Farah anymore that they might be able to afford someone better.:.

Guess not..

Ok, who is available that fits your bill, please give me a name?

You think they just signed him without looking what else was around?

Every single squad has multiple Peta Godinets. You’re acting like every single dude in the 30 is meant to be a gun first grader, it’s simply not possible.

BuffaloRules

Coach
Ok, who is available that fits your bill, please give me a name?

You think they just signed him without looking what else was around?

Every single squad has multiple Peta Godinets. You’re acting like every single dude in the 30 is meant to be a gun first grader, it’s simply not possible.

I would have rather they kept Marshalll King... More upside at 22 years old and similar utility value...

Would it really be that hard to have rolled the dice on a younger player that could have developed into something better down the track?

Like you said we are talking about a reserve for reserve ggradde right?

Last edited:

Vic Mackey

Referee
I would have rather they kept Marshalll King... More upside at 22 years old and similar utility value...

Would it really be that hard to have rolled the dice on a younger player that could have developed into something better down the track?

Like you said we are talking about a reserve for reserve ggradde right?

Ok, so if we signed JMK instead of Godinet, how many more games of first grade would win in 2018?

BuffaloRules

Coach
Ok, so if we signed JMK instead of Godinet, how many more games of first grade would win in 2018?

Why would a bench NSW Cup player be influencing first grade games in 2018?

Here is a question for you..

Which of the two players is more likely to be playing NRL in 2019?

Vic Mackey

Referee
Why would a bench NSW Cup player be influencing first grade games in 2018?

Here is a question for you..

Which of the two players is more likely to be playing NRL in 2019?

So why the big issue over the signing then?

To me, neither. I never rated JMK, I don’t rate Godinet either. I’m not stoked about the signing but I see it for what it is, a backup for the backup.

It’s always been a squad of 25 and even then there were duds in squads. Now it’s squads of 30. That’s 480 players across the comp. Theres going to be more and more players like this with contracts with every team.

BrotherJim05

Bench
Can't believe some of the negativity...Godinet is just a depth signing, nothing more. We didn't go after Pearce or Cronk et al because we don't need any more halves. We need a back rower or a centre. No point splashing stupid cash on someone just for the sake of it

BuffaloRules

Coach
i don't know how I can explain it any further so I'll leave it...

Let's see how he goes... knowing the amount of injuries they seem to get each year it won't surprise me to see him get a few NRL games in

Latest posts