What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dylan Napa

Daza06

Juniors
What is everyone's thoughts on Napa?

I thought he had a very average 2017 after some promising form in the previous 2 seasons. He averaged less than 100m metres per game and his tackle efficiency was below 90%.

There are whispers of a move away from the club and I wouldn't like to see him let go. The front row is the biggest weakness of our team and I can't see where a suitable replacement could be found (other than maybe Alex Walmsley)

Stay or go I expect a lot more from a State of Origin player in season 2018.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Yeah he was very poor in 2017. A bit of a slow lumbering lump tbh who saved his worst for the Prelim.

And yet, given that front row is our weakest position in terms of depth there's no way we'd let him go without having lined up a suitable replacement.

Parkway_Drive

Juniors
He was disappointing in 2017, however, we haven't yet made any pick ups with off contract front rowers (Latu case in point) and have lost an even more disappointing Kane Evans. I would persist with him for one more season at least as he may discover his hunger and mojo now that Cronk is with the Roosters.

Most props take several seasons to be consistent and Starting props are not easy to replace and Dylan is capable of playing at SOO level so I wouldn't cast him aside just yet. Klemmer is an outlier (as a young prop) but Klemmer is not just a top prop, he will become an outstanding one. RCG is about the same age and experience (perhaps has played a season more of top grade) and he is really playing some good consistent footy but he is a stronger carrier of the ball than Dylan who bases his game on defence.

I am not totally convinced SST should move to the front row. It makes sense based on his form for Tonga, but the RLWC is not the week in and week out grind of the NRL and I think he will be a bit small (he is 101 kg) and his late footwork is so suited to a lock forwards later carry in the set. I feel we will be losing a strength to plug a weakness. I am happy to be proven wrong should Robbo decides he will be moved to the FR. Anyway we shall see what Robbo does with our front row rotation next year soon enough (whether we recuit from outside or put more emphasis on our younger brigade coming through (eg Collins, etc) and it will be interesting to see who will be the 4th prop assuming Tetevano is the 3rd one now.

Reactions: OVP

Daza06

Juniors
He was disappointing in 2017, however, we haven't yet made any pick ups with off contract front rowers (Latu case in point) and have lost an even more disappointing Kane Evans. I would persist with him for one more season at least as he may discover his hunger and mojo now that Cronk is with the Roosters.

Most props take several seasons to be consistent and Starting props are not easy to replace and Dylan is capable of playing at SOO level so I wouldn't cast him aside just yet. Klemmer is an outlier (as a young prop) but Klemmer is not just a top prop, he will become an outstanding one. RCG is about the same age and experience (perhaps has played a season more of top grade) and he is really playing some good consistent footy but he is a stronger carrier of the ball than Dylan who bases his game on defence.

I am not totally convinced SST should move to the front row. It makes sense based on his form for Tonga, but the RLWC is not the week in and week out grind of the NRL and I think he will be a bit small (he is 101 kg) and his late footwork is so suited to a lock forwards later carry in the set. I feel we will be losing a strength to plug a weakness. I am happy to be proven wrong should Robbo decides he will be moved to the FR. Anyway we shall see what Robbo does with our front row rotation next year soon enough (whether we recuit from outside or put more emphasis on our younger brigade coming through (eg Collins, etc) and it will be interesting to see who will be the 4th prop assuming Tetevano is the 3rd one now.

Tetevano will be our 4th prop - Napa, JWH, Taukeiaho, and Tetevano. I'm not totally convinced with Taukeiaho as a prop but there is just no other option currently.

Turning 26 this year I think you are right with him needing to find consistency. I also think JWH really needs to lead the way as the senior leader amongst the front row, not just for those 4 mentioned above but the younger guys like Collins.

An injury to anyone in our front row worries me. I hope Robbo has his eye on someone or is pushing one of the younger guys hard this pre-season.

Reactions: OVP

Parkway_Drive

Juniors
Tetevano will be our 4th prop - Napa, JWH, Taukeiaho, and Tetevano. I'm not totally convinced with Taukeiaho as a prop but there is just no other option currently.

Turning 26 this year I think you are right with him needing to find consistency. I also think JWH really needs to lead the way as the senior leader amongst the front row, not just for those 4 mentioned above but the younger guys like Collins.

An injury to anyone in our front row worries me. I hope Robbo has his eye on someone or is pushing one of the younger guys hard this pre-season.

You are quite right, an injury or a suspension to a prop and we are looking thin up front. Especially considering 24 games in which most of the front row rotation would need a few weeks to keep fresh as 24 games at prop will jade someone. Perhaps Matto is being groomed as a front rower, he has the size if not the aggression yet.

OVP

Coach

Excellent post mate and welcome aboard :)

I think you are 100% spot on. I thought we were light in the prop's department last year, and I still think that. Not much will change if we don't fix that area first.

Daza06

Juniors
If Gordon leaves, as expected, surely we will chase a prop with the spare cash.

Hard to find someone in the NRL but the Super League could be a hunting ground. Putting in mind this would be a depth signing, would anyone be happy with Frank-Paul Nu'uausala or Sam Moa rejoining the Roosters?

This isn't a rumor or anything of the type, just an opinion.

If Gordon leaves, as expected, surely we will chase a prop with the spare cash.

Hard to find someone in the NRL but the Super League could be a hunting ground. Putting in mind this would be a depth signing, would anyone be happy with Frank-Paul Nu'uausala or Sam Moa rejoining the Roosters?

This isn't a rumor or anything of the type, just an opinion.

I think father time caught up to Sam Moa. That was why he wasn't re-signed in the first place in 2015.

Also if Gordoin is let go (which I think is crazy) it does not leave us with much depth in the backs, andf also without a recognised goal kicker. When you consider how many games we won l;asdt year by 6 points or less, letting your best goal kicker leave is just daft.

Daza06

Juniors
Also if Gordoin is let go (which I think is crazy) it does not leave us with much depth in the backs, andf also without a recognised goal kicker. When you consider how many games we won l;asdt year by 6 points or less, letting your best goal kicker leave is just daft.

Completely agree - I'm also hoping Gordon stays. Throughout his NRL career, he has proved to be reliable and consistent while being a proven goal kicker.

But if I'm Michael Gordon and am getting offered a contract for double the pay, double the contract length and in a city where I plan to live post-NRL (which is what is reported), I would be stupid not to take it. I understand he gives up the opportunity to win an NRL title but family and his future is more important than a chance of a Premiership

Valheru

Coach
According to foxsports the titans are offering the same as us but for 2 years where as he will be moved on from the chooks after 2018. I can't blame him for taking the offer.

Don't forget we have signed Reece Robinson who does kick goals but not sure if he will be a starter.

According to foxsports the titans are offering the same as us but for 2 years where as he will be moved on from the chooks after 2018. I can't blame him for taking the offer.

Don't forget we have signed Reece Robinson who does kick goals but not sure if he will be a starter.

People seem to forget, Gordon was either going to go around 1 more year with us, oir retire and move to the mid-north coast where he was going to play with the local footy team for a year before hanging up the boots. He stayed as Robbo convinced him to.

He still plans to play in the local comp when he retires I believe, as he promised mates he would do so. As such he may not want to play in the NRL for 2 years as it would mean 3 more years of playing, and that would mean he'd be 37 by the end of it.

Just cause the Titans want him does not mean he wants them, nor that our club will release him. I mean I want toi wake up next to Jennifer Hawkins tomorrow - doesn't mean its gonna happen though does it?

I suppose we'll have to wait and see, but as I said, with no adequate goal kicker in the club behind Gordon, you would be weakening the team overall by releasing him.

As to Reece Robinson as a goal kicker, you want a guy who has a first grade career goal kicking accuracy average of 48.15% as our first string goal kicker? :eek:

Headless Chook

Juniors
People seem to forget, Gordon was either going to go around 1 more year with us, oir retire and move to the mid-north coast where he was going to play with the local footy team for a year before hanging up the boots. He stayed as Robbo convinced him to.

He still plans to play in the local comp when he retires I believe, as he promised mates he would do so. As such he may not want to play in the NRL for 2 years as it would mean 3 more years of playing, and that would mean he'd be 37 by the end of it.

Just cause the Titans want him does not mean he wants them, nor that our club will release him. I mean I want toi wake up next to Jennifer Hawkins tomorrow - doesn't mean its gonna happen though does it?

I suppose we'll have to wait and see, but as I said, with no adequate goal kicker in the club behind Gordon, you would be weakening the team overall by releasing him.

As to Reece Robinson as a goal kicker, you want a guy who has a first grade career goal kicking accuracy average of 48.15% as our first string goal kicker? :eek:
You only have to look at 2016 compared to the year before when we had the services of Maloney and last year when Flash proved the difference with us winning a lot of tight games to get us to 2nd to realise that without a quality goal kicker we would struggle. I was ecstatic when we signed him.

In that horror 2016 season (all things considered I know) we scored 77 tries and kicked only 67 goals (and that included penalty goals). Seriously. We had SST and as handy as we was, he was one our 1st string kickers ffs.

We absolutely need a high quality boot otherwise we can forget about being serious contenders.

We desperately need to keep Gordon. Where they fit him in I don’t know. He doesn’t have a passing game of any note, so I can’t see him in the centres and we have Toops and Fergs on the wing. But he has to be there somewhere, surely. Where are they planning to play Reece Robinson anyway?

Worrying times if he’s not there next year. Does the club even have a plan if he moves on or is it going to be the same story as 2016. We finished 15th in case anyone needs reminding.

Last edited:
You only have to look at 2016 compared to the year before when we had the services of Maloney and last year when Flash proved the difference with us winning a lot of tight games to get us to 2nd to realise that without a quality goal kicker we would struggle. I was ecstatic when we signed him.

In that horror 2016 season (all things considered I know) we scored 77 tries and kicked only 67 goals (and that included penalty goals). Seriously. We had SST and as handy as we was, he was one our 1st string kickers ffs.

We absolutely need a high quality boot otherwise we can forget about being serious contenders.

We desperately need to keep Gordon. Where they fit him in I don’t know. He doesn’t have a passing game of any note, so I can’t see him in the centres and we have Toops and Fergs on the wing. But he has to be there somewhere, surely. Where are they planning to play Reece Robinson anyway?

Worrying times if he’s not there next year. Does the club even have a plan if he moves on or is it going to be the same story as 2016. We finished 15th in case anyone needs reminding.

Assuming the rumours about Gordon to the Titans is erroneous, I suspect Gordon will play on the right wing with Ferguson moved into the centres. Gordon comes across as a coll customer on the fiel;d, as such having him outside Ferguson, I could see him calming Fergo down a bit so he doesn't make as many rash errors due to having a rush of blood.

I think Reece Robinson is merly a depth signing, I mean look what happened late last year, we had Aubs and Matterson in the centres.

Rabbits20

Immortal
According to this article on Fox Sports, the money the Titans are offering Gordon is supposed to be pretty much exactly what he is getting with us. The difference is it's a 2 year deal as opposed to a 1 year deal.
I read in the paper the other day Gordon is on 250 with you guys.....

Mitchell will soon be asking for an upgrade too along with Taukaeiho who killed it at international level......

You guys take Angus we will just have to offer our money at Tauakaeiho.....

You may have him locked down but we'd offer more money for what he is worth for sure and he may kick up a stink too.....

With what I expect in the end to be upgrades to:

Friend
Keary
Liu
Mitchell
Taukaeiho

There goes most of the money from Pearce.......

Why the hell would you pay Jaydon Nikorima 370 as well....... that's a waste.....

Daza06

Juniors
I read in the paper the other day Gordon is on 250 with you guys.....

Mitchell will soon be asking for an upgrade too along with Taukaeiho who killed it at international level......

You guys take Angus we will just have to offer our money at Tauakaeiho.....

You may have him locked down but we'd offer more money for what he is worth for sure and he may kick up a stink too.....

With what I expect in the end to be upgrades to:

Friend
Keary
Liu
Mitchell
Taukaeiho

There goes most of the money from Pearce.......

Why the hell would you pay Jaydon Nikorima 370 as well....... that's a waste.....

You're talking 2019 cap here. Nikorima won't be resigned so add his money to all your resignings and keep your filthy hands off Taukeiaho.

Latest posts