What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cameron McInnes

Belta

Juniors
Fantastic news. Well deserved reward for a hard working, honest young footballer. He is a real asset to the team moving forward. As previously stated needs to run more to take his game to the next level as that's his only weakness.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
Yeap of contract end of 2018.
I was speaking to dufty last week he is looking forward to this year.
I would say they will see how he goes goes . Then upgrade him to a new contract.
Imo

I too, was speaking to my Dan Murphys sales assistant and she said she could upgrade me on my gin choice. I said, "we'll see how it goes"..... and left me to perform an ongoing taste test and the results are in ................................................................................................................................................................................I'm half cut, hic!

nOW WherE wAs l ????

hazzbeen

Bench
Fantastic news. Well deserved reward for a hard working, honest young footballer. He is a real asset to the team moving forward. As previously stated needs to run more to take his game to the next level as that's his only weakness.
Not much left in the tank after 50 tackles a game , lets hope he learns to and pick his time to go . Im sure he will improve next year , and adds another dimension to our attack that was lacking last year ....

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Good re-signing and I think McInnes understands the deficiencies in his game. He will work on them and having security of 9, 7 and 6 (just need to bed down a fullback) gives the team certainty ala Storm.
As for young Robson i think he is 20 next year and does need some development time in reserve grade as he was inbetween reserves and U20's this season. According to the player profiles he is taller and heavier than McInnes so I think he will become an important key player in our top squad as a bench hooker/forward in the Havili mold. Its probably why Havili was let go.
I can see the same rotation McInnes/Robson as the Cowboys had with Granville/Kostjaysen.

If they turn out to be as good as granville/kostjaysen.
That will do me

BennyV

Referee
Nice retention. He doesn't need to be a flashy player IMO, leave that to the halves. Just distribute and tackle.
Sort of agree and disagree.

Rarely to teams win the big one without some creativity in the halves. The last one I can think of is Manly in 2011, but I think having a ball-playing lock helped.

But that being said, I don't think McInnes will be the type to scoot from DH and run 70m down field. And that's fine. His creativity (and what he's shown in glimpses) is more along the lines of sporting a gap from 10m out and going over to score, or see opportunityto set a teammate up, or using his kicking game for a sneaky try-assist or downfield kick. Couple that with the service, direction and defence he offers and it shows he's more in the Smith/Ennis style than the Luke/Granville style. Which is great TBH.

When Robson breaks through, he can provide the running game from hooker. I don't want to see Cam trying to be shoehorned into a style that doesn't suit him.

Life's Good

Coach
He has to run sometimes Crush. Great news on his resigning!

Totally agree. Why Havili never got an opportunity to split the role is beyond me. That would have given McInnes the rest he needed for him to get his running game going. I doubt this will be addressed eg. bench hooker but hope McInnes can somehow manage his on field output so he isn’t so gassed to run.

getsmarty

Immortal
St George Illawarra lock down hooker Cameron McInnes with new deal
Dragons
ODEyMjAxNzB8Y3hvLmJ8aHR0cHM6Ly9tZWRpYS5mb3hzcG9ydHMuY29tLmF1L2FydGljbGUvaGVhZHNob3RzL3NpbW9uX2JydW5zZG9uLmpwZ3w4MTIyMDE3MA==

ODEyMjAxNzB8Y3hvLmJ8aHR0cHM6Ly9jZG4ubmV3c2FwaS5jb20uYXUvaW1hZ2UvdjEvMGMwOWQ1MWVmZWFiNmI2NzAzMGMxZDU0ODJiOWVkMGR8ODEyMjAxNzA=

St George Illawarra Dragons coach Paul McGregor.Source: News Corp Australia
PAUL McGregor and his recruitment staff have been busy shoring up the Dragons’ spine long-term, but there’s one piece of the puzzle yet to fit.

Hooker Cameron McInnes inked a new three-year extension on Thursday, meaning three members of the spine are committed until at least the end of 2021.

McInnes and five-eighth Gareth Widdop are locked in for the next four years, while new halfback Ben Hunt is signed on until the end of 2022.

But McGregor still needs to find a fullback to complete his four-year retention drive.

The exit of Josh Dugan means there’s no obvious frontrunner for the No.1 jumper.

The leading contenders appear to be utility ball runner Kurt Mann — who has plenty of experience in the backline — and young gun Matt Dufty.

Mann can fill roles in the halves or anywhere in the back five, and he has experience in the fullback role. His ability to throw a pass as well as run the ball makes him a valuable asset.

Dufty has played a handful of games in first grade and looks to be being groomed to eventually fill the fullback role.

He could very well be given first crack at the position in 2018.

Mann is signed on until the end of 2019 while Dufty is committed for just one more season.

If McGregor and his list guru Ian Millward are intent on shoring up the spine long-term, either Mann or Dufty will be next on their hit-list for a new contract.

ODEyMjAxNzB8Y3hvLmJ8aHR0cHM6Ly9jZG4ubmV3c2FwaS5jb20uYXUvaW1hZ2UvdjEvNTY2ZDU3YmFiZjM5YmZmNDQxZTk5OGQxYzM5OTk4N2J8ODEyMjAxNzA=

Cameron McInnes of the Dragons runs with the ball.Source: AAP
But there’s a host of young talents rising through the ranks who the coaches are keeping a close eye on.

The likes of Jai Field (signed until the end of 2019), Reuben Garrick (2018), Zac Lomax (2019), and Tristan Sailor (2019) are in the club’s long-term plans.

McInnes was one of the club’s most consistent players in 2017, having landed in the Illawarra after being pushed out of South Sydney.

“I’ve only been here for 12 months but it’s been the best year of my footy life. It was a no-brainer for me and I wanted to stay for as long as I could. It’s going to be good moving forward knowing that I have that stability,” McInnes said.

“This is just the beginning. I really want to work harder towards bigger and better things. For us I think the top four is in reach for us so I just need to keep playing the best footy I can.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...l/news-story/b3099456c675a2a44096fc01576a239a

BennyV

Referee
Yeah haha amazing. I guess Mary and co are not capable of a 11 in a row mentality.

Doh 31 years time will be our next with these bunch of fckwits.
It's a good ploy by McMoron; he wont get caught saying 'he has the team he wants' as he's convinced management it's taking this long to recruit who he needs.

Next is the 4 year plan to get into the Top 8 (starting 2018 I guess), then another 7 year plan to get the to Top 4, then maybe a 5-6 year plan to make a grand final...

Crush

Coach
"Four year retention drive"...what an embarrassing statement!
I think you are reading a bit much into it. It just happens that the other 3 spine players are signed for 4 years so the writer of the article has called it a four year retention drive. Its got nothing to do with McGregor. There isn't one quote from him in that piece.
You say "its a good ploy by mcmoron" yet McGregor has said nothing. How do you take a foxsports article and turn it into a ploy by McGregor?
OTT.

BennyV

Referee
I think you are reading a bit much into it. It just happens that the other 3 spine players are signed for 4 years so the writer of the article has called it a four year retention drive. Its got nothing to do with McGregor. There isn't one quote from him in that piece.
You say "its a good ploy by mcmoron" yet McGregor has said nothing. How do you take a foxsports article and turn it into a ploy by McGregor?
OTT.
For starters, the articles says 'his four-year retention drive' referring to McGregor.

But regardless, it's an obvious hyperbole, aiming to ridicule the fact that McGregor is unbelievably safe in his job due to being one of the old boys by coming up with outrageous reasons for allowing him to remain as coach for so long...

Crush

Coach
Don't believe everything the media writes. They are just trying to sell stories. I always look for direct quotes from people to form my opinions. Nowhere does this state that McGregor has a 4 year retention drive.

Last edited: