What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

Gareth67

First Grade
Announcement on the sale of the Dragons any news yet .

Nothing as yet John , I only hope that if a deal is ( eventually ) reached , that the financial state of the Joint Venture skyrockets to the heavens . Thus allowing the Dragons to keep pace with the ' money ' clubs in the NRL when it comes to signing the elite players in the game and perhaps a new coach .

Crush

Coach
Some good 90's games on Fox League this weekend & it goes right through the week.
Watched 1991 Manly vs Raiders. I counted at least 5 or 6 first grade/origin/international coaches in that match.
Also it was interesting to watch how unstructured the play was back then. And there were skinny blokes and fat blokes.
These days it all structure, grappling and referee interference. Video refs, bunker, technology.
Those days it was playing what was in front of you and hoping that you didn't get belted.
Ian Roberts smashed a guy, rubbed his face in the ground and the other bloke got up with a smile on his face. These days the player would lay down and milk a penalty. Oh actually no he wouldn't otherwise he'd be taken off for HIA and potentially not come back.
The game is different now, not better or worse but different.

AyiosYiorgos

Coach
Watched 1991 Manly vs Raiders. I counted at least 5 or 6 first grade/origin/international coaches in that match.
Also it was interesting to watch how unstructured the play was back then. And there were skinny blokes and fat blokes.
These days it all structure, grappling and referee interference. Video refs, bunker, technology.
Those days it was playing what was in front of you and hoping that you didn't get belted.
Ian Roberts smashed a guy, rubbed his face in the ground and the other bloke got up with a smile on his face. These days the player would lay down and milk a penalty. Oh actually no he wouldn't otherwise he'd be taken off for HIA and potentially not come back.
The game is different now, not better or worse but different.
The difference is “back in the day” the game of Rugby League was played by footballers, today it’s played by athletes, who have KPIs, stats etc to achieve...

Old Timer

Coach
The game today requires players with "action figure" physiques.
Before long the players will all be the same shape and weight regardless of the position they play.
The halves and wingers have become huge compared to the old style of footy which was fast and open with little structure and ultimate reward for the skilful.
Today the centres have become almost defunct so the likes of Reg Gasnier , Rodgers, Renouf, who were the unquestioned princes of the game would just be catch and pass players in todays game.
Ken Irvine the greatest winger to play the game and by some margin would battle to get a start today but for those of us lucky enough to see him play we would be thrilled to bits to see the likes of him again.
Small man with great speed and wonderful anticipation and just burned opponents that stupidly showed him the sideline.
The way the game is morphing the <100kg players time is all but up and that is very sad indeed.
Easily fixed in my opinion change the interchange rule to 2 players and 6 changes, ban the wrestling and use the sin bin for what it was intended to do.
If that was to happen that would make the little man very valuable indeed.

Crush

Coach
Before long the players will all be the same shape and weight regardless of the position they play.
The halves and wingers have become huge compared to the old style of footy which was fast and open with little structure and ultimate reward for the skilful.
Today the centres have become almost defunct so the likes of Reg Gasnier , Rodgers, Renouf, who were the unquestioned princes of the game would just be catch and pass players in todays game.
Ken Irvine the greatest winger to play the game and by some margin would battle to get a start today but for those of us lucky enough to see him play we would be thrilled to bits to see the likes of him again.
Small man with great speed and wonderful anticipation and just burned opponents that stupidly showed him the sideline.
The way the game is morphing the <100kg players time is all but up and that is very sad indeed.
Easily fixed in my opinion change the interchange rule to 2 players and 6 changes, ban the wrestling and use the sin bin for what it was intended to do.
OT, so on the weekend I was lining up at Westfield to get the kids santa photo and I was stood behind this well built young bloke that looked like your stock standard nrl player, sleeve tats etc.
I couldn't place who he was until I looked at his tattoo which said Lichaa 1993.
Did players back in the "good ol days" have sleeve tats with their name and D.O.B. ?
Imagine.

AyiosYiorgos

Coach
OT, so on the weekend I was lining up at Westfield to get the kids santa photo and I was stood behind this well built young bloke that looked like your stock standard nrl player, sleeve tats etc.
I couldn't place who he was until I looked at his tattoo which said Lichaa 1993.
Did players back in the "good ol days" have sleeve tats with their name and D.O.B. ?
Imagine.
Miranda?, find it odd that Lichaa wanted to sit on Santa's lap, maybe wanted to thank him for the early xmas present, getting rid of Hasler...

Old Timer

Coach
Imagine.
Back in those days very few players had tats maybe a few that had been in the forces.
At one point to join the cops which many players chose for a career you had to have no tats then they relaxed the rule but you had to wear long sleeves.
Despite all they drank back then at least they could remember their names and DOB.

Crush

Coach
Miranda?, find it odd that Lichaa wanted to sit on Santa's lap, maybe wanted to thank him for the early xmas present, getting rid of Hasler...
Yep the fair.
Seemed like a nice bloke, nice little family.
I don't usually look at tattoos but I found it amusing that someone would get their surname and birth year on their arm.
Anyway, as I said seemed like a nice little family.

AyiosYiorgos

Coach
Yep the fair.
I don't usually look at tattoos but I found it amusing that someone would get their surname and birth year on their arm.
mmm i thought he was single...

Frank Facer

First Grade
Good post. I do however think that a club should have more than 2 reserves on the bench.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Imagine.
I doubt that any players in the old days had tattoos with the name and DOB. I doubt if anyone had those tattoos before the late 90's.

Old Timer

Coach
Good post. I do however think that a club should have more than 2 reserves on the bench.
OK how about if it is 4 players but they all have to play a minimum of 20 minutes each?
I hate the so called "impact player" with a passion.
Everyone busts an arse and some big fresh 110kg bludger comes on for 5 minutes and changes the game which to me is grossly unfair.

Drakon

Juniors
OK how about if it is 4 players but they all have to play a minimum of 20 minutes each?
Everyone busts an arse and some big fresh 110kg bludger comes on for 5 minutes and changes the game which to me is grossly unfair.
I still like the way it used to be. 2 reserves and that is it. And don't get me started on scrums these days. What a joke.

And by the way. I'd have Ken Irvine in my team ANY day.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Yep the fair.
Sonny Bill has got Williams tattooed on his back. Pearce has got Pearce written on his
I think they should definitely reduce the interchanges to 6 at the most. I am thinking 4 on the bench and the coach can use his 6 interchanges how ever his wishes.

Maybe they should just go back to as many reserves as you like, but you can only make 4 interchanges?

Reactions: jak

jak

Bench
I doubt that any players in the old days had tattoos with the name and DOB. I doubt if anyone had those tattoos before the late 90's.
in the old days the other frank facer did not like st George players to have tatts on display along with sox's must always be up whilst on the field. there was a lot of tape and band aids used back then what frank said frank got or you did not play for the saints.

Last edited:

Drag Queen

Bench
in the old days the other frank facer did not like st George players to have tatts on display along with sox's must always be up whilst on the field. there was a lot of tape and band aids used back then what frank said frank got or you did not play for the saints.
Jesuz times have changed. It's rare to see any youth without one. I applaud the ones that don't get them. They're in the minority Jak.

Gareth67

First Grade
Jesuz times have changed. It's rare to see any youth without one. I applaud the ones that don't get them. They're in the minority Jak.

And what about those tele. cooks , even they have them now . Hell , what is this world coming to ? The last thing I want is to go to one of those ' fine dining ' restaurants like - All you can eat Charlie's - only to have the chef's ink dribbling down onto my food !

jak

Bench
drag queen. I met mr facer through a friend of my father baden wales who was on the board the first thing he said to a young player was WHY do you want to play for saints if he did not like the answer no matter how good you were that was it.i only ever said one of two words to him YES SIR OR NO SIR.but ill tell you when he said something people listened he was a great saints man I wish we could clone him.

Latest posts