What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Todd Greenberg has got to go!

Are you happy with Greenberg's performance as CEO?

• Yes

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • No

Votes: 86 85.1%
  • Undecided

Votes: 9 8.9%

• Total voters

Perth Red

Post Whore
And to your 9 teams (8.5) in Sydney argument? Another rival code seen as progressive has 10 top flight clubs in a city with a million less people than Sydney! Your stance is abysmally ignorant ,damaging and disrespectful!

Unsusustainable clubs, when the sht hits the afl fan, and it will if tv revenue dries up, then there will not be ten afl clubs in Melbourne. Not to mention they haven’t used sustaining these clubs excuse not to expand the comp throughout the major capital cities.

Afl has tried desperately to get at least one club to relocate, their time will come.

Stallion

First Grade
For the record I believe the Canberra Raiders are just as important to rugby league as all the Sydney based clubs and elsewhere. Im advocating additional clubs(working to 20) and strengthening the presence of rugby league in Australias most popular city, Sydney.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Disagree PR, I will bet my bottom dollar Parramatta bring more to rugby league then a team in Adelaide up against the Power and Crows.

Unsusustainable clubs, when the sht hits the afl fan, and it will if tv revenue dries up, then there will not be ten afl clubs in Melbourne. Not to mention they haven’t used sustaining these clubs excuse not to expand the comp throughout the major capital cities.

Afl has tried desperately to get at least one club to relocate, their time will come.
The AFL is not going to take fans who have NRL teams

You blokes failed miserably

The Great Dane

First Grade
Lol. So if a club goes you think they have a marginal loss of fan support!? Are you a comedian for sick jokes!? When a club goes under the fans go under too! You havent even considered the multitudes of fans that follow the club for whatever reason are pissed off as well! Its not just the local area thats detrimentally affected its the wider rugby league community that loses out as well. Btw the Newtown Jets are hosting crowds of 9000 at Henson park with a boutique style game day experience. I will concede that a promotion and relegation set up specifically for all Sydney clubs is a feasible way to go. It wold have to be considered and with criteria involved. But 10 clubs with the Bears out of the Central Coast and a few other club name changes would strengthen instead of weaken the code in Sydney. Ideally a twenty team comp should be the aim Australia wide.

Ahh none of that answers or responds to anything I said in my post...

So why didn't Newtown being dropped have significant long term effects on the sport or the competition, or if they did what were they?

And how come regulation would be the end of the world for Sydney based NRL clubs but it isn't for the thousands of clubs around the world that are regulated every year?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Disagree PR, I will bet my bottom dollar Parramatta bring more to rugby league then a team in Adelaide up against the Power and Crows.

I’d agree, eels will be the powerhouse of sydney if they can get their management sht sorted. But there are a number of clubs barely financially clinging on by their fingernails clubs with small fanbases, clubs with Ltd corporate appeal, clubs with limited jnr and community bases etc. pick the strongest 6-7 Sydney clubs and revamp the nrl by creat8my space for two new clubs and eventually 2 more.

It would be a very very hard argument to suggest some Sydney clubs are offering more than melbourne storm as an example, and a brsibane2 club has much much more potential than even the storm.

The Great Dane

First Grade
For the record I believe the Canberra Raiders are just as important to rugby league as all the Sydney based clubs and elsewhere. Im advocating additional clubs(working to 20) and strengthening the presence of rugby league in Australias most popular city, Sydney.

So who misses out then?

That leaves four more spots in the competition and upwards of ten more places that could theoretically support a club or another club in the next 15-20 years.

So who has to miss out so that Sydney can stay over saturated and why should we accept this stunted growth?

Stallion

First Grade
Ahh none of that answers or responds to anything I said in my post...

So why didn't Newtown being dropped have significant long term effects on the sport or the competition, or if they did what were they?

And how come regulation would be the end of the world for Sydney based NRL clubs but it isn't for the thousands of clubs around the world that are regulated every year?

Mate. When your post is dribble I dont waste my time! Australia has a tyranny of distance which you consistently fail to acknowledge! These Sydney clubs are gold GOLD! You just cannot figure it out! I respect the Raiders yet you disrespect these iconic and well known clubs?

Perth Red

Post Whore
You just dont get it!

I get it, you just can’t see it. After your endless going on in the RLWC thread I fully understand why

The people running the game have known for 30 years plus Sydney needs rationalising in order to grow the game, every one of them until the last few years. The time will come when the next leadership may also see it.

Clubs really have zero excuse for not thriving now.
A $1.5mill loan last year, a 130% nrl grant for next 5 years, new stadiums on way, if clubs aren’t sitting pretty in next couple of years you have to doubt if they ever will be.

Last edited:

Stallion

First Grade
I’d agree, eels will be the powerhouse of sydney if they can get their management sht sorted. But there are a number of clubs barely financially clinging on by their fingernails clubs with small fanbases, clubs with Ltd corporate appeal, clubs with limited jnr and community bases etc. pick the strongest 6-7 Sydney clubs and revamp the nrl by creat8my space for two new clubs and eventually 2 more.

It would be a very very hard argument to suggest some Sydney clubs are offering more than melbourne storm as an example, and a brsibane2 club has much much more potential than even the storm.

They do offer alot! Every single Sydney club and more! They offer decades and decades of community relevance and universal recognition. Thats massive in marketing terms. The game can grow with these vital clubs in tact however it will decline significantly if they are gone!

Perth Red

Post Whore
Do they offer more than the alternative replacements, that is the big question?

No one under25 cares bears are no longer around, the game and Sydney has moved on, Melbourne are heading to be in the top three biggest clubs in the comp, whose to say perth or brisbane2 or Wellington wouldn’t be the same and offer much more than some existing clubs?

Stallion

First Grade
There're thousands of people that follow both AFL and NRL teams, so that's observably false.

Tell you what they wont be following rugby league if your thinking is in vogue. Fans of both codes will definitely go to the code thats not imploding . Figure that in your disrespectful regard for longtime established clubs in Sydney.

Stallion

First Grade
Do they offer more than the alternative replacements, that is the big question?

No one under25 cares bears are no longer around, the game and Sydney has moved on, Melbourne are heading to be in the top three biggest clubs in the comp, whose to say perth or brisbane2 or Wellington wouldn’t be the same and offer much more than some existing clubs?

Your disrespect is astonishing!

Perth Red

Post Whore
Tell you what they wont be following rugby league if your thinking is in vogue. Fans of both codes will definitely go to the code thats not imploding . Figure that in your disrespectful regard for longtime established clubs in Sydney.

So they’ll support afl with two teams in Sydney, but not nrl with 6 or 7? That logic makes no sense what so ever!

The Great Dane

First Grade
Mate. When your post is dribble I dont waste my time! Australia has a tyranny of distance which you consistently fail to acknowledge! These Sydney clubs are gold GOLD! You just cannot figure it out! I respect the Raiders yet you disrespect these iconic and well known clubs?

A tyranny of distance! How the f##k does the tyranny of distance have any relevance in this discussion?

We can't rationalise or expand our competition cause the country is so big? What!

And if this tyranny of distance is such a negative then how come it doesn't effect the big bad AFL, or the BBL, or A-league, or Netball, or the ABL, or the AIHL, etc, etc, etc.

And who do you know that what I am saying is false if you're not reading it? Or is it simply that you either don't understand it or can't respond to it.

Also using your tyranny of distance logic the Sydney clubs should be the biggest best attended clubs in the country cause they are all so close to each other, and that simply isn't the case.