What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Clubs against NZ v ENG Mid Season Tests - "Player Welfare"

Burns

First Grade
"WOULD you like to see your NRL club’s 2018 season ruined by a proposed mid-year exhibition Test match between England and New Zealand in the United States to promote the 2025 World Cup?

That is the question that will surely anger many fans after the NRL this week flagged the idea for a game to be played in Denver, Colorado, smack bang in the middle of next year’s State of Origin series.

Understandably, NRL clubs were left gobsmacked when it was put to them in an email this week.

And it has again sparked debate about whether it’s time to give NRL clubs salary cap relief if players are injured in representative games.

While this match is still in its planning stages, it has been pencilled in on the same June weekend as Origin II and the Pacific Tests.

No one is arguing the merits of further promoting the international game in the wake of the success of this year’s World Cup.

But clubs do have genuine concerns about player welfare, and the timing of this match couldn’t be worse.

The Daily Telegraph yesterday contacted St George Illawarra, Melbourne and Canberra after hearing of an email that was sent to clubs this week.
“We certainly have some concerns about the safety and welfare of our players and how this is likely to impact our club,” Dragons chief executive Peter Doust said.

If the game goes ahead, it would impact most clubs during the busiest time on the NRL calendar for what is essentially a “look at us” match to promote the 2025 World Cup in the USA.

The schedule for round 16 opens with the Dragons v Eels on Thursday night.

If Dragons skipper Gareth Widdop and star signing James Graham travel to the States, they would then have to endure a 20-hour return flight and back up for their club within days.

“Our coach and club have always been supportive of players playing representative football,” Doust added.

“But we need to find the balance between the impact on the players and club and the desires of the players once all the facts and details are known.

“We are seeking more detail and this is not something that we have discussed with Gareth and James as yet as they are on leave and won’t be at training until the New Year.”

Melbourne football manager Frank Ponissi added: “We support the concept but definitely not the date.

“It should be played in October, not mid-season.”
Ponissi also said Melbourne “would welcome the NRL looking into how clubs can be compensated for losing players long term through injury in rep games” given what happened to Canberra’s Josh Hodgson at the World Cup.

The NRL denied the Raiders cap relief because other clubs had also suffered in the past, like North Queensland who lost Johnathan Thurston to injury through Origin.

“I don’t know what the solution is but we need something,’ Ponissi said.

Canberra boss Don Furner added: “We are probably the worst club to ask because we are just on the back of a really bad injury for Josh and it does make you look at those things harder.

“There is insurance in place for injuries but it is not salary cap relief.”

Furner wants the issue to be discussed further at the first NRL chief executives meeting next year.

“If more and more of these type of games are going to be looked at, you have to re-examine some type of salary cap relief because it is definitely not fair on the club who are the major employer,” Furner said.

“That is the balance that coaches and clubs have between supporting the international game, which we all want to do, and your first interest which is your club.

“It is a very fine line that we have to balance and for us at the moment we are not happy about it.”

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...y/news-story/999cb19d4fe6bb837d292c8f0b448262

~~~~~~~~~~

Nothing. Will. Ever. Ever. Change.

Burns

First Grade
Ricky has a massive whinge on the new NRL website:

https://www.nrl.com/news/2017/12/13/stuart-feeling-left-in-the-lurch-over-hodgson-injury/

"I get very confused though, in light of what has happened to Josh. I wonder if I should have a greedy attitude and say 'stuff rep football, I just want them to play for us'," he told NRL.com.

"I get back three players (Joey Leilua, Junior Paulo, Josh Papalii) very unfit and overweight from their rep trip with Samoa, I have a player with medial ligament trouble in (New Zealand forward) Joe Tapine, and I've got Josh out for the best part of the season.

"So why do I keep pushing my players to play rep football? Because I'm not a greedy coach. Maybe I should change."

~~~

Get in the bin.

adamkungl

Immortal
Fwiw i'm not against compensation in the form of salary cap relief.
As things stands the players ARE employed by the clubs and it's a bit rotten if they get injured playing for someone else, even if that someone else is a far more important World Cup nation.

What's the harm if it makes clubs more likely to release players?

deal.with.it

Juniors
Time for a revolution. All players contracted to NRL. Clubs are licensees of NRL and can use NRL employees ie players.

Robert B

Juniors
Very hard for NRL clubs to oppose this considering NZ has been playing mid season tests since forever. Only the RLPA can oppose this. If RLPA gives their blessing, clubs can't cry foul anymore. Plus Samoa, Tonga, PNG, Lebanon and probably Fiji are also playing the mid season test.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...r/news-story/bc685f6a634b80e6bb8de2839931d78c

POMS DESPERATE FOR A HITOUT
THE Rugby Football League is dead keen on finding an opponent for England to play in a midyear Test on the back of their World Cup success.

Any plans to have NRL players take part in the fixture — especially overseas — will not go down well with Australian clubs, which will need to release stars such as Gareth Widdop, James Graham and Elliott Whitehead.

The Poms are desperate for a hitout before their three-Test series against the Kiwis at the end of the year.

Almost take it as fact Jason Taumalolo won’t be in that New Zealand team. The $10 million wrecking ball is set to remain loyal to the mighty Tongans.

yakstorm

First Grade
It was always going to be an easy article to write, just ask any employer what they think when staff members look to take leave...there will always be someone who'll have a whinge.

The game just needs to make decisions that are right for the game, not the individual clubs that may or may not be affected.

Considering the CBA the RLPA has signed clearly states that weekend is a Representative weekend, no clubs will be playing and every year up until now NZ has played that equivalent weekend, it should be allowed to go ahead.

roughyedspud

Coach
The problem is the plan to play it denver...

If it was in Sydney or Auckland they wouldn't be blowing up about it I reckon..

siv

First Grade
That pisses me off. It's OK for Origin, but not a Test..

Only difference is who pays the bills

Fox-Ch9 pay for SOO but a NZ-E test bypasses the ARLC TV deal

So will the ARLC tell the clubs - welcome to world of RL

hutch

First Grade
This will fall through wont it?

Probably. Just like the Sydney stadiums deal, Pacific Cup test matches and tournaments,a proper European cup, world 9’s, NY super league team, nrl expansion, Fiji nsw Cup team and any other good idea which furthers rugby league as a sport.

Latest posts