What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ashes Cricket

So...what I wanna know is, is it worth getting it?
Yes but don't expect any polish, I'd value it at about $50, I'd have bought it full price though

What i mean by polish is something blizzard does ultra well,like overwatch and d3, like professional i guess

The fielders are unnatural, the bowling is spot on but occasionally the batsmen don't do what you've asked and on ps4 standard there's huge frame drops on camera pan after each over

BTown324

Juniors
Yes but don't expect any polish, I'd value it at about $50, I'd have bought it full price though

What i mean by polish is something blizzard does ultra well,like overwatch and d3, like professional i guess

The fielders are unnatural, the bowling is spot on but occasionally the batsmen don't do what you've asked and on ps4 standard there's huge frame drops on camera pan after each over
I would like to know what you mean by 'polish' if possible more specifically?

I feel it's easy to say polish is what these big companies do. But what is that? Is there an example of what Big Ant do that is 'unpolished' and an example of what you would like it to be to be deemed 'polished' ?

Just curious

I would like to know what you mean by 'polish' if possible more specifically?

I feel it's easy to say polish is what these big companies do. But what is that? Is there an example of what Big Ant do that is 'unpolished' and an example of what you would like it to be to be deemed 'polished' ?

Just curious
A feeling of a finished game, not requiring patches

Smoothness, think overwatch with no lag, diablo 3, the witcher 3

BTown324

Juniors
A feeling of a finished game, not requiring patches

Smoothness, think overwatch with no lag, diablo 3, the witcher 3
Right ok. So it's not things like better looking menu pages or loading screens or specific gameplay things like replay angles but more a generic perception thing.

Right ok. So it's not things like better looking menu pages or loading screens or specific gameplay things like replay angles but more a generic perception thing.
Well that is definitely part of it

It's like x factor,i can't put my finger on it but i know it's there

Eelementary

Post Whore
I've finally gotten used to this game.

Up until now, Don Bradman Cricket 14 was the gold standard for me.

This game is better - has a pretty steep learning curve, but when you get used to it, it's a great cricket game.

BTown324

Juniors
I've finally gotten used to this game.

Up until now, Don Bradman Cricket 14 was the gold standard for me.

This game is better - has a pretty steep learning curve, but when you get used to it, it's a great cricket game.
I still struggle with bowling. Even on the easiest level I get carted. Any tips? I'm using the meter system rather than the two thumb stick system.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I still struggle with bowling. Even on the easiest level I get carted. Any tips? I'm using the meter system rather than the two thumb stick system.

I use the traditional stick system.

My career player is a fast bowling, number 3 all-rounder.

I'm having decent success by bowling only full or yorker length balls.

If the pitch is green, off cutters to the lefties, and leg cutters to the righties work a treat for me.

Most important thing is to bowl to the field - no point bowling wide of off stump, if all the fielders are placed leg side.

Last edited:

nöyd

Staff member
I usually detest bowling in cricket games, but I gave it a go in this.

My first ball - Cook c. Warner b. Starc for a golden.

Art imitating life.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I'm loving this game.

My fast-bowling, number 3 all-rounder took 6/52 off 14 in a 3 day match, to win by 6 runs.

So, so tense!

nöyd

Staff member
Finally had a chance to sit down and have a good crack at Ashes mode.

After day one at the Gabba, Australia (me) is well on top, almost scoring 400 in a days play.

Joe Burns received a recall, and did not disappoint, scoring a superb 123 before shouldering arms to a bouncer that simply didn't get up. Burns had to get a big score after he sacrificed Khawaja, running him out when neither of them looked like being dismissed.

Skipper Steve Smith and Shaun Marsh have steadied the ship, both not out in their sixties, putting on over 100 for the fourth wicket. England need quick early wickets on day two to have any chance of stopping a landslide.

As far as this game goes, I think it is starting to shade DBC 14 as the best ever released. The addition of licences certainly helps, but matches also seem to flow better, and you simply cannot sit there and smack each ball into the stands all game.

I can't work out why the days play ended after 89 overs though, weird.

Keep an eye out for updates on this match, and the series.

Ashes%20Screenshot%202018.01.07%20-%2009.26.05_zpsii1vzssj.jpg

Burns lets the wrong ball go

Ashes%20Screenshot%202018.01.07%20-%2010.28.03_zpsuvl0cgbg.jpg

Smith slashing through gully

Ashes%20Screenshot%202018.01.07%20-%2010.21.32_zpsoy94s58c.jpg

Marsh pulling for four

Ashes%20Screenshot%202018.01.07%20-%2010.32.20_zpszcqbiraz.jpg

Scoreboard at the end of day one

Eelementary

Post Whore
Finally had a chance to sit down and have a good crack at Ashes mode.

After day one at the Gabba, Australia (me) is well on top, almost scoring 400 in a days play.

Joe Burns received a recall, and did not disappoint, scoring a superb 123 before shouldering arms to a bouncer that simply didn't get up. Burns had to get a big score after he sacrificed Khawaja, running him out when neither of them looked like being dismissed.

Skipper Steve Smith and Shaun Marsh have steadied the ship, both not out in their sixties, putting on over 100 for the fourth wicket. England need quick early wickets on day two to have any chance of stopping a landslide.

As far as this game goes, I think it is starting to shade DBC 14 as the best ever released. The addition of licences certainly helps, but matches also seem to flow better, and you simply cannot sit there and smack each ball into the stands all game.

I can't work out why the days play ended after 89 overs though, weird.

Keep an eye out for updates on this match, and the series.

Ashes%20Screenshot%202018.01.07%20-%2009.26.05_zpsii1vzssj.jpg

Burns lets the wrong ball go

Ashes%20Screenshot%202018.01.07%20-%2010.28.03_zpsuvl0cgbg.jpg

Smith slashing through gully

Ashes%20Screenshot%202018.01.07%20-%2010.21.32_zpsoy94s58c.jpg

Marsh pulling for four

Ashes%20Screenshot%202018.01.07%20-%2010.32.20_zpszcqbiraz.jpg

Scoreboard at the end of day one

I think this is the best cricket videogame ever.

The bowling is sublime, and imo, quite realistic.

The batting is also very realistic - a batsman will not teleporting his feet to play a shot that's a metre outside his off stump (like they used to in DBC14 and DBC17), meaning that nicks and mistimed shots are relatively frequent (like in a real match).

The fielding has improved in leaps and bounds, too - the fielders are smart enough to dive forward for a catch if they think it might just fall short, and they will tap a ball heading for the ropes infield to a teammate to throw to the stumps.

Excellent game.

Rabbits20

Immortal
The batting is hard but fair unlike Bradman 17 which was total horse shit
I have DB 17 and I couldn't play that game..... batting was absolutely shocking....

I prefer being a batsmen...

I've played 13 years of career mode in DB14 batting at no.4 and it's my favourite cricket game ever..... my test avg is about 52 having scored 40 fifties and 11 hundreds including 3 double centuries.... avg is about 34 in ODI's.....

I was saying to myself after DB17 I couldn't bring myself to buy this Ashes version.....

Do you think it's worth buying???? Is the career mode good!!!!???

Would you say the batting is inbetween DB 14 & 17 difficulty wise???

Rabbits20

Immortal
I think this is the best cricket videogame ever.

The bowling is sublime, and imo, quite realistic.

The batting is also very realistic - a batsman will not teleporting his feet to play a shot that's a metre outside his off stump (like they used to in DBC14 and DBC17), meaning that nicks and mistimed shots are relatively frequent (like in a real match).

The fielding has improved in leaps and bounds, too - the fielders are smart enough to dive forward for a catch if they think it might just fall short, and they will tap a ball heading for the ropes infield to a teammate to throw to the stumps.

Excellent game.
So is the batting much harder than DB 14??

Can you score big in career mode or is it so so so hard??

Should I buy this game??

Is it hard to pick what ball the bowler is bowling when batting??

Is it hard to pick up the length??

In DB 14 from 126 test innings I have scored like 6400 runs at 52. My most recent today was a patient 112 from 262 balls...

Does it come with an instruction manual as I can't find one online??

Latest posts