What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Star Wars The Last Jedi *** SPOILERS ***

morningstar

Juniors
Luke didn't get all that much training from Yoda in the original trilogy either. Shit, every time he faced Vader he got beaten down.

So how does it make sense that Rey with even less training manages to hold her own against Kylo and take out half of the Knights of Ren?

They just explain it away with she is powerful in the force. By that logic a child Annakin would have been able to take down Darth Maul on his own in Phantom Menace.

Last edited:

adamkungl

Immortal
You guys have romanticised the original trilogy to some imaginary ideal that can never be lived up to.
The golden age of Star Wars was packed to the brim with bad scripting, plots of dumb characters making impossible plans inevitably saved by too convenient rescues, absurdly large blind spots in super powered characters, make-it-up-as-you go magic system, cringey attempts at childrens appeal... I could go on.

But we love them because they're just a cracking tale brought to life in an imaginative universe with quirky and fun characters.

How f**king pointless is Phasma? An absolute do nothing character. Quite possibly the worst in the Star Wars universe.

Truly the Boba Fett of a new age. Oh wait, he's loved for some reason despite not doing a single competent thing in his short screen time.

I thought it was pretty dumbed down. Lots of one liners but only a few of Luke's were delivered with any charisma - others seemed out of place. Lots of dead space action where in the originals I thought the dialogue kept you much more engaged.

Half the dialogue in the originals is "I have a bad feeling about this". Inspiring stuff there.

Hated the bit with Leia after the spacefight. Really annoyed me actually.

A lot of criticisms for this but remember when the jedi just decided they could insta-die and turn into a force ghost who returns at times of plot convenience to explain things to main characters that they otherwise couldn't figure out?

Rey & Luke on the island. I thought it was too much filler. Like he barely trained her and now she is meant to be the Jedi/hero for episode IX while she still feels undeveloped as a Jedi.

They just explain it away with she is powerful in the force. By that logic a child Annakin would have been able to take down Darth Maul on his own in Phantom Menace.

Luke's training was running around a jungle for a few weeks and then he could take on Vader and the Emperor who have decades of mastery.

Snoke has about as much of the force as a carbon rod if he couldn't sense that lightsaber being moved. My problem with lazy writing like that is why don't all of the Jedi/Sith just use similar tactics to knock each other off. It has no continuity with the original trilogy in that they saw threats coming in all directions - that's what made the fights work.

Darth Vader picked up Emperor Palpatine while he was cackling away at Luke and threw him into a bottomless pit. What original trilogy are you watching lol

I thought it was excellent. Was on the edge of my seat for the last 45 mins. Obviously I have some criticisms of the movie but I don't really want to add to the nerd screeching. Some people need to take a step back from the over analysing and look at it with a bit of perspective. If most of you watched the original trilogy fresh today you'd have meltdowns over how many flaws you can find without the rose coloured glasses of nostalgia.

Generalzod

Immortal
Mary-Poppins-Flying-85760.gif
I'm Mary Poppins y'all

You guys have romanticised the original trilogy to some imaginary ideal that can never be lived up to.
The golden age of Star Wars was packed to the brim with bad scripting, plots of dumb characters making impossible plans inevitably saved by too convenient rescues, absurdly large blind spots in super powered characters, make-it-up-as-you go magic system, cringey attempts at childrens appeal... I could go on.

But we love them because they're just a cracking tale brought to life in an imaginative universe with quirky and fun characters.

Truly the Boba Fett of a new age. Oh wait, he's loved for some reason despite not doing a single competent thing in his short screen time.

Half the dialogue in the originals is "I have a bad feeling about this". Inspiring stuff there.

A lot of criticisms for this but remember when the jedi just decided they could insta-die and turn into a force ghost who returns at times of plot convenience to explain things to main characters that they otherwise couldn't figure out?

Luke's training was running around a jungle for a few weeks and then he could take on Vader and the Emperor who have decades of mastery.

Darth Vader picked up Emperor Palpatine while he was cackling away at Luke and threw him into a bottomless pit. What original trilogy are you watching lol

I thought it was excellent. Was on the edge of my seat for the last 45 mins. Obviously I have some criticisms of the movie but I don't really want to add to the nerd screeching. Some people need to take a step back from the over analysing and look at it with a bit of perspective. If most of you watched the original trilogy fresh today you'd have meltdowns over how many flaws you can find without the rose coloured glasses of nostalgia.

I think I love you.

Everything I've drafted and deleted a dozen times. Sums up exactly what I felt.

Hardcore_Fan

Juniors
I felt a bit empty with this movie. I was expecting something a bit more.

I really enjoyed the battle scenes though, insanely good special effects.

Disappointed with how snoke died. It just doesn’t make sense how he’s so powerful that he can bridge the minds of Rey and Kylo and yet cant foresee that Kylo is about to kill him. From what we have seen so far Kylo doesn’t come across as super powerful just yet so to me it just doesn’t make sense how easily he could kill off his master. I honestly believe that snoke is not dead and is so powerful with the force that he can prevent death, or something along those lines.

I was disappointed with the way luke went out.

I was disappointed with the lack of light sabres too, only one major fight when kylo and Rey teamed up. Yeah it’s just one small aspect of Star Wars but I love people getting smoked by light sabres.

I really enjoy Poe’s character, he’s awesome and I like where his role is heading. He is clearly now going to be the new leader of the resistance.

I believe that episode 9 will be set a few years after these events. The rebels are defeated, and the closing moments of the movie hinted at recruiting a new generation of rebels when they closed with that child looking towards the sky.

Good movie for what it was, but not the best Star Wars movie that critiques are saying it is.

As a massive fan of Marvel Star Wars #55 [pretty much the only issue my dad ever bought me of the comic other than the ESB and ROTJ Marvel comics, and read a 1000 times (( always wanted to win that bike on the cover too!!! - ahh the BMX craze!)))], the Porgs in TLJ reminded me so much of the Hoojibs.

Absolutely loved them. The scene with Chewbacca cooking one and readying to chow down for the others to look forlornly up at him. Gold. Absolute gold.

morningstar

Juniors

And he got schooled by Vader in Empire and only managed to best him in ROTJ after giving in to anger.

Rey picks up a light sabre for the first time and is operating at master level.

bileduct

Coach

LOL, you typed out all that defending a turd?

I think the key The Last Jedi takeaways for the Bileducts of the world are:

* DJ ( the second coolest badass in the galaxy) and the Stable Boy - both characters requiring a couple of million overlapping fan sites, and EU novels, highlighting the minutiae of their existence.

* Fetishised cosplay of the tit-milk maker.

* A strongly worded letter of discontent hammered out on a Royal Quiet de Luxe, mailed to Disney deploring the state of feminist politics in modern cinema and their unease that 'the bitch didn't buy it' at the hand of Kylo Ren or Snoke.

* That Finn and Poe 'didn't get it on'...such a let down.

bileduct

Coach
I think the key The Last Jedi takeaways for the Bileducts of the world are:

* DJ ( the second coolest badass in the galaxy) and the Stable Boy - both characters requiring a couple of million overlapping fan sites, and EU novels, highlighting the minutiae of their existence.

* Fetishised cosplay of the tit-milk maker.

* A strongly worded letter of discontent hammered out on a Royal Quiet de Luxe, mailed to Disney deploring the state of feminist politics in modern cinema and their unease that 'the bitch didn't buy it' at the hand of Kylo Ren or Snoke.

* That Finn and Poe 'didn't get it on'...such a let down.
last-jedi-porg.jpg

edabomb

First Grade

I'm not a crazy Star Wars fan - but I thought it's a bit more believable that Vader could do that to Palpatine than Training Day Kylo Ren could kill Snoke in such a simple fashion.

This movie was Star Wars for the Avengers generation.

shiznit

Coach
Had the pleasure of watching it this arvo with my young son...

Absolutely loved it. It was great.

It certainly improved upon the areas in TFA that I didn’t like...

I DO think all the reviews coming out have been overblown somewhat... it has some issues...

As much as I mock Bileduct and his ridiculous blind hatred of anything Disney...

I have to admit I felt they kinda turned Snoke into the type of weak villain you’d get in the MCU... which I thought was pretty disappointing...

They wanted to shock.. which it certainly did... but they needed to make Ben Solo look stronger if they were going to kill Snoke...

Instead they just continued to make him look like a noob with his sequence with Luke.

I’m looking forward to see how they go forward though...

Latest posts