What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fangs

Coach
Its obviously true. Just like its obvious that we were instructed not to kick grubbers in early 2017.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
No when Gus says things like Griffin was 100% his choice. We didn't interview other's as we had our new coach. That makes him a target.

Saying we would have any new players at the club put him as a target. No football club in the world can guarantee such a thing. So to say it just gets him in the crosshairs.

While I agreed with Cleary being sacked. There was no need to mention it once it was done.

Hook maybe the best man to lead the team but how do we know? Not so much as an interview was done

Gus actually said that our cap was full and unless someone left, we wouldn’t be signing anyone. At least that’s what he said at the awards night.

He also re-signed Hook based on a recommendation from the playing group. I’m certainly not a coaching expert, but thats a pretty good sign.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
There was an entire post dedicated to Gus's decision making. Would be redundant to repeat that person's comment. My entire point was shooting people down for not having reasons when they do is silly. I never actually said what my stance on Gus is other than I don't always agree with the hate on Gus as I think he's made some good choices. You are getting strangely defencive over Gus.
I don’t like speculation as much as the next bloke, particularly on this forum, but, a lot of people saw him on the piss during the week, whilst the season was in full swing. So I’m not surprised to hear the stories and I don’t find it hard to believe.

As we learnt at the end of the season, where there is smoke, there is fire.

I live in
I don’t like speculation as much as the next bloke, particularly on this forum, but, a lot of people saw him on the piss during the week, whilst the season was in full swing. So I’m not surprised to hear the stories and I don’t find it hard to believe.

As we learnt at the end of the season, where there is smoke, there is fire.

Some stories being banded around were very poor about his behaviour. Often from members of the club (footy team) who unlike some on here don't have a 'vested interest' in either rumourmongering and playing chinese whispers for shit and giggles.

mxlegend99

Referee
Yeah and the team performed so well under him.
He took us to a top 4 finish with Walsh and Burns in the halves. I cant see Hook having done any better than him.

Elliott was a poor coach. But a lot of players had career best form under him or started off promisimg careers under him.

Elliott and Hook are very similar in quality for mine. Hook just has a much better roster to work with and support network.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
So the Moylan affair was the clubs fault?

You weren’t going to renew your membership because of a spoilt brat, who’d rather drink, snort coke and party than train hard with his team mates.

Really?

The counselling that the club arranged was because of the issues mentioned above. Gus made a point saying it wasn't a mental health issue, it was about acting like a grownup. Willing to accept and be discplined with rehab and recovery. It was the Murdoch press who ran with the 'mental health issues' line.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
He took us to a top 4 finish with Walsh and Burns in the halves. I cant see Hook having done any better than him.

Elliott was a poor coach. But a lot of players had career best form under him or started off promisimg careers under him.

Elliott and Hook are very similar in quality for mine. Hook just has a much better roster to work with and support network.

I don't think ME did won a finals game during his tenure at the club.

mxlegend99

Referee
I don't think ME did won a finals game during his tenure at the club.
We had our injuries pile up in the finals. Including through the games. Hook couldn't have done better with us than Cleary or Elliott back then.

Before Cleary and Gus rebuilt the team and our production line of juniors Hook would have us winning about as many games as Brown at the Knights. Hook couldn't rebuild a team. Hell he cant decide on who he wants to play where with an established team. Imagine him going through a rebuild with no options.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Yes you are right about Elliott having bad injuries, in fact we had bad injuries every year under him. Yep Gus (and with a little help from Cleary) as he did the hiring and firing of players, the pathways were re done. It was a tough job from all accounts.
Elliott managed to stuff a number of promising players around too. Wade Graham was put back to under 20's under Elliott's time.
Austin was mis managed badly, in fact he was stalled. Purtell anyone ?
So bascially you can pull players out of thin air for each and every coach, some who improved, som who declined and moved on to bloom at another club.
You obviously have issues with Hook (for whatever reason, and in reality that's not my business) While ever Hook is coaching where the players are making the finals each year, and maturing as players I have no issues with him. He's not brilliant, but he's not in the looney tunes class of Elliott either.

Just a reminder:

Luke Bowden

First Grade

We had our injuries pile up in the finals. Including through the games. Hook couldn't have done better with us than Cleary or Elliott back then.

Before Cleary and Gus rebuilt the team and our production line of juniors Hook would have us winning about as many games as Brown at the Knights. Hook couldn't rebuild a team. Hell he cant decide on who he wants to play where with an established team. Imagine him going through a rebuild with no options.

What’s your Point? He doesn’t need to rebuild a team. He has options.... I don’t get what your saying?

ME is better than Hook??

franklin2323

Immortal
What’s your Point? He doesn’t need to rebuild a team. He has options.... I don’t get what your saying?

ME is better than Hook??

Did ME have the same resources hook does? Hardly a like for like.

The players that liked him have long gone. As these players will be in 5-10 years. Whether they like the coach or not won't matter to the board in a results driven business

Luke Bowden

First Grade
Did ME have the same resources hook does? Hardly a like for like.

The players that liked him have long gone. As these players will be in 5-10 years. Whether they like the coach or not won't matter to the board in a results driven business

Correct. If we aren’t successful, Hook will be replaced.

My point was, that if the players are willing to come forward and say, we believe in what he’s doing, we think it’s working, we want him as a coach. That’s not a bad start. The rest is up to the team.

mxlegend99

Referee

ME is better than Hook??
I thought the point was quiet obvious. Theres f**k all between them as coaches. Hook just had a better roster and off field circumstances handed to him.

Do you disagree? I mean we finished second with a spine of Coote/Gordon, Burns, Walsh and Kingston.

Compare that to Moylan/Edwards, Hooks flavor of the month at 6, Cleary and Wallace. Which spine do you rate more highly?

Cleary from his first game has shit on Walsh
Even our worst 6 on a bad day compared to Burns as a 6.

Elliott could stumble into the finals back to back with these circumstances too. Fans act like its a f**king miracle to do it... but dont take into account the position Hook was in compared to other coaches. The other coaches who took us to back to back finals won the comp though. Hook still cant beat a top 4 team.

Cleary did the hard work and was sacked as his roster was ready. Hook owes everything to Cleary, Brennan and Gus.

OldPanther

Coach
I live in

Some stories being banded around were very poor about his behaviour. Often from members of the club (footy team) who unlike some on here don't have a 'vested interest' in either rumourmongering and playing chinese whispers for shit and giggles.

I like Alice! She makes a lot of sense, you guys should pay attention to her.

The team now? You lot are kind of sickening. Defend the club at any cost. It's like a religion to you. Anyone who speaks their mind is going against the one true god and should be stoned to death.

This forum has officially peaked.

He's right. I have no doubt most middle of the road coaches could make the finals with this roster.

mxlegend99

Referee
This forum has officially peaked.
Do you think Hook could have dome any better with our team before Gus came in and fixed shit up?

Before Cleary rebuilt our NRL team?
Before Brennan developed so many guys ready for a crack at the NRL?

You're on drugs if you think Hook would have done better under those circumstances. Hook back then would be exactly what Brown has been at the Knights. Hook was brought here after everything had been done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts