What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Star Wars The Last Jedi *** SPOILERS ***

Apey

Staff member
They missed a huge trick with Phasma, Snoke and Hux.

All three were teased very nicely in TFA but this was the ground to now build on them and create something more compelling. Both died far too easily with no further depth and Hux became more or less comic relief.

One of my real gripes of the film.

Definitely agree with this, especially with Snoke.

axl rose

Bench
Yeh the countless years of abuse she put her body through not only claimed her life but her acting ability as well.

Yes the 'Carrie Fisher was great in this' because she is dead from critics was fairly predictable though. Looks like the meds were wearing off a bit quick in a few scenes.

bileduct

Coach
Definitely agree with this, especially with Snoke.
I don't think the lack of back story for Snoke is necessarily a bad thing. Palpatine didn't have a back story in the original trilogy and that didn't really matter at all. Dedicating an entire trilogy to his origins turned out to be a mistake.

Turning the First Order into comic relief stooges, on the other hand, was geniused. You really have to wonder how those idiots ended up conquering anything.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Well they might make a back story for you to pay for, then jump on your high horse and tell everyone they hate it.

It is how you roll.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
I liked the movie but I think they ruined Hux. I thought his Hitler speech in TFA was great and looked like he was going to be a real menace. But in TLJ he’s more like Dr Evil from Austin Powers. Didn’t leave the bad guys with a lot of credibility.

vvvrulz

Coach
Palpatine didn't have a back story in the original trilogy and that didn't really matter at all. Dedicating an entire trilogy to his origins turned out to be a mistake..

Not saying Snoke should have been the same, but as bad as the prequels writing was Palpatine's back story was one of the better things going for it.

Don't get me wrong, it was NOT told well; but the idea of a corrupt politician conning and pulling strings in the background and gently messing with Anakin from childhood should have been more convincing than it's execution.

They almost had it, but made the mistake of sidelining him too long for the first two and couldn't resist handing him a saber, giving him daft lines and getting Jules Winnfield to melt his face off.

Classic George - nobody butchers ideas like that man can.

vvvrulz

Coach
I liked the movie but I think they ruined Hux. I thought his Hitler speech in TFA was great and looked like he was going to be a real menace. But in TLJ he’s more like Dr Evil from Austin Powers. Didn’t leave the bad guys with a lot of credibility.

Hmm... yeah what happened to all that Nazi-esque symbolism.

That's what happens when you run an entire movie based on a ship chase - no room to explore more settings.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Not long back from watching it.

After reading some of the reply’s in here I’m glad I’m not the only one a little underwhelmed.

There were some great moments in this movie but I thought it was all over the place like a mad woman’s shit.

And lol @ people talking up Carries Fishers performance, it was like watching a coffee table it was so wooden. Not even When she morphed into Mary Poppins.

Snoke is built up as some super villain only to die so easily with no back story no nothing.

Ray,Poe and Finn carry the movie again. Phasma was useless again and Hux was turned into a a bad laugh track.

It looked amazing and I loved the Luke and Rey stuff but I may just need to watch it again.

It wasn’t prequel bad but maybe after all the reviews and hype I was expecting more.

elyod138

Bench
I loved it, better than all but TFA and ESB IMO. I think TFA was a bit tighter but TLJ had some of the best direction, acting and writing of the series. Everything felt more grounded and real than the other movies to me.

I'd love to see a director's cut. Though Rian Johnson's fingerprints are all over the movie, my main criticism is it dragged at times and there were some superfluous elements. All of the Star Wars movies are full of plotholes and characters designed to sell merch, but it's not really Rian Johnson's style. He's known for tight writing and direction.

All of the original movies have huge flaws, some people can't take off their rose coloured glasses when looking back.

Last edited:

Caped Crusader

Juniors
I loved it, better than all but TFA and ESB IMO. I think TFA was a bit tighter but TLJ had some of the best direction, acting and writing of the series. Everything felt more grounded and real than the other movies to me.

I'd love to see a director's cut. Though Rian Johnson's fingerprints are all over the movie, my main criticism is it dragged at times and there were some superfluous elements. All of the Star Wars movies are full of plotholes and characters designed to sell merch, but it's not really Rian Johnson's style. He's known for tight writing and direction.

All of the original movies have huge flaws, some people can't take off their rose coloured glasses when looking back.
There is no "directors cut" . What you saw was Rians vision

elyod138

Bench
There is no "directors cut" . What you saw was Rians vision
Where was it reported that Johnson has the final cut?

I think it'd be strange for Disney to give up their last cut privileges. It's pretty rare in the industry, especially for blockbusters.

Last edited:

Last Week

Bench
I was a bit underwhelmed too. I enjoyed it, don't get me wrong, but it dragged a fair bit after the opening stanza.

Which I would have been happy with if I was paid off in seeing Luke at his most powerful, fighting. I was very unsatisfied with the ending and his death especially. Sure, dissappear, but give us one battle as the Jedi master he truly becomes.

On other topics, I think the disappointment in Snokes lack of back story is that he's dead now. So what does that mean? His death changed nothing other than Kylo becoming Supreme Leader.

The best parts for me was the Kylo and Rey dynamic, especially their communicating. Poe growing into the leader he should be. The suspense in the last 45 minutes was great too.

And Yoda! f**king Yoda! I marked out at Yoda. Lost it.

Not the best Star Wars movie, but in the top half I think. It'll probably be appreciated more after episode IX is released.

Apey

Staff member
I don't think the lack of back story for Snoke is necessarily a bad thing. Palpatine didn't have a back story in the original trilogy and that didn't really matter at all. Dedicating an entire trilogy to his origins turned out to be a mistake.

What irked me was the demonstration of his abilities and thus justification of his position as supreme leader occurred in the same scene as his death. I didn't want a Palpatine like back story but I would have liked him fleshed out a little more. TFA had a lot of us theorising like crazy over who Snoke and Rey were but I was satisfied enough with the (current) answer for Rey. Snoke's role in the story on the other hand just feels like a disappointment.

Game_Breaker

Coach
Hmm... yeah what happened to all that Nazi-esque symbolism.

That's what happens when you run an entire movie based on a ship chase - no room to explore more settings.

I wish it was a ship chase, half the movie is them floating there waiting for the fuel to run out
Sure, do it for a 10 minute sequence, but not half the movie

and Snoke's death lol
He died just as fast and as easily as Anakin turning to the dark side. All that scene needed was for Ben to drop to his knees and say in Hayden Christensen style "oh no, what have I done"

PJ

First Grade
Was reading an interview this morning with the Director and he as saying how he was happy that there wasn't some overarcning trilogy plan so it gave him freedom.

For mine that is quite worrying for the third film as he has pretty much killed off some important characters and I really think went overboard with how dire a situation the rebels are in.