What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

mxlegend99

Referee
Yeah the timing of a coach makes a huge difference.

Ricky Stuart has won premierships and wooden spoons through timing at clubs. Hook came here after Ivan Cleary had done the hard work.

Gus said it would take 5 years to fix the club. He also said Ivan Cleary was in for a hell of a time doing it.

Theres simply no way that Hook does better than those coaches in those circumstances. We've appointed an average coach when the window was at its peak to win a premiership.

Unless Gus gets more involved off the field along with Brandy theres simply no way this premiership window delivers a premiership on the back of Hook alone. We need someone who has a clear vision for what he wants and to make it happen. The only bright side is he cant really chop and change our halves 6 times a year unless one of them is injured. So expect our centres to get changed more regularly now.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
I thought the point was quiet obvious. Theres f**k all between them as coaches. Hook just had a better roster and off field circumstances handed to him.

Do you disagree? I mean we finished second with a spine of Coote/Gordon, Burns, Walsh and Kingston.

Compare that to Moylan/Edwards, Hooks flavor of the month at 6, Cleary and Wallace. Which spine do you rate more highly?

Cleary from his first game has shit on Walsh
Even our worst 6 on a bad day compared to Burns as a 6.

Elliott could stumble into the finals back to back with these circumstances too. Fans act like its a f**king miracle to do it... but dont take into account the position Hook was in compared to other coaches. The other coaches who took us to back to back finals won the comp though. Hook still cant beat a top 4 team.

Cleary did the hard work and was sacked as his roster was ready. Hook owes everything to Cleary, Brennan and Gus.

ME had a hell of a lot of NRL experience on the field. That’s what wins you the big games.

Hook has experience in his team now, it will be a different side next year.

As far as comparing coaches, who cares whose better. I have no way of knowing anyway.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
The team now? You lot are kind of sickening. Defend the club at any cost. It's like a religion to you. Anyone who speaks their mind is going against the one true god and should be stoned to death.

That’s ridiculous, you are just unable to demonstrate a good reason to bash it.

Hook and Gus both do things that I don’t agree with, but, they are in charge and have to make decisions.

I don’t agree that either has made such a bad decision that the club has had to suffer, particularly to the point of cancelling my membership. You call me sickening.

mxlegend99

Referee
ME had a hell of a lot of NRL experience on the field. That’s what wins you the big games.

Hook has experience in his team now, it will be a different side next year.

As far as comparing coaches, who cares whose better. I have no way of knowing anyway.
Clutch plays win big games.

Experience doesnt make a player better than a guy without it. Some players are just freaks who thrive in those moments their whole careers.

Others can be average their whole careers. Or have a small purple patch of form. A player doesnt get better with every game though.

TheEroticGamer

Juniors
Do you think Hook could have dome any better with our team before Gus came in and fixed shit up?

Actually, yes.

Elliott is proven to be a one season wonder at clubs after his stints with us and Canberra. Make the finals one year then turn to shit the next. Griffin is somewhat consistent, and, you know, actually brings up young players.

Not throw Adrian Purtell into the 2nd row.

OldPanther

Coach
That’s ridiculous, you are just unable to demonstrate a good reason to bash it.

Hook and Gus both do things that I don’t agree with, but, they are in charge and have to make decisions.

I don’t agree that either has made such a bad decision that the club has had to suffer, particularly to the point of cancelling my membership. You call me sickening.

In 12 months we went from naming Moylan captain and building the club around him to Gus actively looking for a way out of his contract. After TMM it was starting to look pretty dodgy of the clubs part. Just keep moving on players. It's great they are promoting juniors but some stability is needed. Add to that Griffin's musical positions. Which is why I renewed after the off season extensions were announced (I'm also paying more than 2017). There was a clear goal moving forward, a plan that was lacking previously in my opinion.

I think my position is leagues more reasonable than "how dare anyone criticise Gus and Hook"

Luke Bowden

First Grade
One gets an awful squad playing to the best of their ability. The other has a top 4 squad and plods along showing no signs of a gameplan

So last year’s performance was all on Hook? Nothing to do with the players attitudes? 2016 the team over achieved, to the point we were equal premiership favourites.... what did Hook do so badly / differently to change the team performance in 2017??

franklin2323

Immortal
Correct. If we aren’t successful, Hook will be replaced.

My point was, that if the players are willing to come forward and say, we believe in what he’s doing, we think it’s working, we want him as a coach. That’s not a bad start. The rest is up to the team.

I have no issue with that. You can't ignore the youth etc issues hook has had to deal with. The question I have is how do we know he is the best fit for the team given no interview process?

I mean he is here now and has done a decent job. Decent jobs don't win comps etc. So maybe running 5th or 6th every year is the best we can hope for under hook. If so for me it's a waste of the talent we have

franklin2323

Immortal
In 12 months we went from naming Moylan captain and building the club around him to Gus actively looking for a way out of his contract. After TMM it was starting to look pretty dodgy of the clubs part. Just keep moving on players. It's great they are promoting juniors but some stability is needed. Add to that Griffin's musical positions. Which is why I renewed after the off season extensions were announced (I'm also paying more than 2017). There was a clear goal moving forward, a plan that was lacking previously in my opinion.

I think my position is leagues more reasonable than "how dare anyone criticise Gus and Hook"

I am with you. I like to see I am middle of the road I don't ignore the good or the bad either have done. Like some here do

Luke Bowden

First Grade

Feel free to criticise Gus and Hook. Just have a valid reason.

Here’s some examples:
“Hook, stop picking Cartwright at 5/8, he sucks as a play maker” - he can’t defend in that position, he also doesn’t have the experience or knowledge to lead a team around the park.

Or,

“Gus, please never talk in public or on air again.” You talk to much shit and it’s embarrassing, your commentary has caused me to take out a Foxtel subscription and your comments attract unwanted publicity to the club.

Just have a reason, not:

“Gus is a liar and he should be sacked”

Or

“Hook is a crap coach and we would be winning if he wasn’t coaching”

Shit like that.

mxlegend99

Referee
Actually, yes.

Elliott is proven to be a one season wonder at clubs after his stints with us and Canberra. Make the finals one year then turn to shit the next. Griffin is somewhat consistent, and, you know, actually brings up young players.

Not throw Adrian Purtell into the 2nd row.
Yeah he's consistent. He cant beat top 4 teams.

Elliott debuted a lot of blokes who have gone on to be stars. Plenty who became duds. The likes of Lachlan Coote, Michael Jennings, Tim Grant, Sam McKendry, Wade Graham, Masada Iosefa, Jarrod Sammut etc.

Elliott had a hard on for Purtell. Good thing Hook would never play as bloke out of position and have a back on the bench. Oh wait... a few of his specialties also.

Hook has never been at a club that was a mess before he arrived. Broncos and us. Thats it. If he was with us 3 years earlier hes fighting to win a single game

Elliott was at clubs who were a mess before and after he arrived. He was shit. But he didnt do anything better or worse than Hook could have done back then. Hook is the weakest link in our premiership hopes.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
I have no issue with that. You can't ignore the youth etc issues hook has had to deal with. The question I have is how do we know he is the best fit for the team given no interview process?

I mean he is here now and has done a decent job. Decent jobs don't win comps etc. So maybe running 5th or 6th every year is the best we can hope for under hook. If so for me it's a waste of the talent we have

Look, I would have picked Brannan, but what would I know. Gus/The players and the club obviously see something that we don’t, so I respect that decision.

Bye bye Garth, wish you well, Crack on Hook. Show us why they picked you.

mxlegend99

Referee
Feel free to criticise Gus and Hook. Just have a valid reason.

Here’s some examples:
“Hook, stop picking Cartwright at 5/8, he sucks as a play maker” - he can’t defend in that position, he also doesn’t have the experience or knowledge to lead a team around the park.

Or,

“Gus, please never talk in public or on air again.” You talk to much shit and it’s embarrassing, your commentary has caused me to take out a Foxtel subscription and your comments attract unwanted publicity to the club.

Just have a reason, not:

“Gus is a liar and he should be sacked”

Or

“Hook is a crap coach and we would be winning if he wasn’t coaching”

Shit like that.
You should send Gus a message about the same thibg.

Dont call other teams premierships soft. Or the best team in the comp overrated.

Tell our CEO not to have digs at other teams when it comes to whether Cleary would go there or not.

Our CEO and Gus have both taken swipes at Cleary.

Throw hook in for saying anyone who thought we had a top 4 team doesnt know footy. Like this roster isnt stronger than Clearys 2014 team or Elliotts 2010 team.

franklin2323

Immortal
Look, I would have picked Brannan, but what would I know. Gus/The players and the club obviously see something that we don’t, so I respect that decision.

Bye bye Garth, wish you well, Crack on Hook. Show us why they picked you.

I would of too. Maybe didn't want a young coach with a young team?

I think if there was an interview process where potential coaches outline where they see the team and how to get there. I would of been far better seems as he is thinking on the run sometimes.

FTR I only think there is probably Bellamy only that is a great coach. The rest are good but rarely make any players better etc. Robinson will be shown as a myth this year

Luke Bowden

First Grade
You should send Gus a message about the same thibg.

Dont call other teams premierships soft. Or the best team in the comp overrated.

Tell our CEO not to have digs at other teams when it comes to whether Cleary would go there or not.

Our CEO and Gus have both taken swipes at Cleary.

Throw hook in for saying anyone who thought we had a top 4 team doesnt know footy. Like this roster isnt stronger than Clearys 2014 team or Elliotts 2010 team.

I agree with Hook, I never thought last years team was top 4, I had 300 bucks on us finishing 5-8. We didn’t have the experienced players in key positions.

Next year, if we stay reasonably healthy, I think we may well be top 4. Our young blokes would have learnt a hell of a lot from last season.

So last year’s performance was all on Hook? Nothing to do with the players attitudes? 2016 the team over achieved, to the point we were equal premiership favourites.... what did Hook do so badly / differently to change the team performance in 2017??
This has been explained over and over. Our attack was f**king putrid and our discipline a disgrace. These issues are 100% on the coaching staff

Status
Not open for further replies.