What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

mxlegend99

Referee
I agree with Hook, I never thought last years team was top 4, I had 300 bucks on us finishing 5-8. We didn’t have the experienced players in key positions.

Next year, if we stay reasonably healthy, I think we may well be top 4. Our young blokes would have learnt a hell of a lot from last season.
I guess our club doesn't know footy. We talked ourselves up aswell. If you recall a marketing campaign about it being our time.

Under him we arent and likely never will be top 4. We had a top 4 capable roster though.

martielang

Bench
I guess our club doesn't know footy. We talked ourselves up aswell. If you recall a marketing campaign about it being our time.

Under him we arent and likely never will be top 4. We had a top 4 capable roster though.

Why the f**k do you put so much emphasis on a marketing campaign? Their job was to lift expectations which leads to increased membership, revenue etc. No doubt we're currently in an exciting stage of the clubs development, where we should have a sustained run in the finals & hopefully a premiership or two.

Luke Bowden

First Grade

What do you expect our marketing team produce! Haha dumb comment.

You’ll be eating your words come the end of next season.

mxlegend99

Referee
What do you expect our marketing team produce! Haha dumb comment.

You’ll be eating your words come the end of next season.
our club talk up our chances. Our coach insults anyone who thought we were a chance. How is that a dumb comment? Its a fact.

I think we have a top 4 roster. I think we have a shit coach.

Everything needs to lineup perfectly for an average coach to win a competition.

mxlegend99

Referee
Why the f**k do you put so much emphasis on a marketing campaign? Their job was to lift expectations which leads to increased membership, revenue etc. No doubt we're currently in an exciting stage of the clubs development, where we should have a sustained run in the finals & hopefully a premiership or two.
The emphasis is in the coach coming out insulting peoples football knowledge of anyone who thought we were a top 4 team.

After our club marketed us to be that and more.

Im fine with the marketing. Wrong as it was. It was good marketing. I have issue with Gus, Fletcher and Hook coming out painting a target on the Panthers talking shit about other teams. Coaches. Players and the fans.

A coach insulting people who believed in his team... yet theres still merkins willing to defend him.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
our club talk up our chances. Our coach insults anyone who thought we were a chance. How is that a dumb comment? Its a fact.

I think we have a top 4 roster. I think we have a shit coach.

Everything needs to lineup perfectly for an average coach to win a competition.

We have a top 4 roster Now, we didn’t last year. It’s the marketing teams job to talk the club up, that’s their Job.

The coach was also answering a question put to him in a press conference. He was also correct.

mxlegend99

Referee
We have a top 4 roster Now, we didn’t last year. It’s the marketing teams job to talk the club up, that’s their Job.

The coach was also answering a question put to him in a press conference. He was also correct.
We have the same roster... minus Moylan, Hiku, Tmm, Rein and Latu. We added maloney.

Most players also had better 2016 seasons than 2017. We are in no way in better shape for 2018 then we were 2017

Luke Bowden

First Grade
We have the same roster... minus Moylan, Hiku, Tmm, Rein and Latu. We added maloney.

Most players also had better 2016 seasons than 2017. We are in no way in better shape for 2018 then we were 2017

You clearly don’t understand the concept of game time.

You don’t think all of young players won’t be substantially better with a season under their belts? They will know what to expect from the preseason, thus getting much more out of it.

Several of our guys played in the World Cup and will be much better for it.

Everyone we have lost is replaced.

I don’t think you get it at all.

Black Diamond

Juniors

You don’t think all of young players won’t be substantially better with a season under their belts? They will know what to expect from the preseason, thus getting much more out of it.

Agreed

mxlegend99

Referee

No you dont get it.

The same lines are repeated every year. Including last year to this year.

X player has another year in first grade. Y player now has this experience. Things are more settled etc.

We drop a spot on the ladder and most of our guys were not as good as they were from 2016 to 2017.

Its the same situation with a weaker top squad. That extra experience didnt mean shit for improvement from 2016 to 2017.

We added Tamou and Browne. We had an extra year of experience in our young guys. We got guys back from injury. We got international experience in a few players. We killed it at the 9s with a young squad. Yet we still dropped a spot on the ladder and did no better in the finals.

Go look at the predictions thread for 2017.

Edit
For instance:

*obligatory "I'm glad to have joined this forum" comment*

If we can finish 6th(one win and a 100+ F/A out of the top four) in a year when we were chopping and changing players and their positions, anything less than a top four finish the following season with a better team depth, quality and experience-wise shouldn't even be comprehended.

Mansour's injury sucks but his touted early May return looks great considering the relatively mediocre draw we have till that point.

4th was the minimum but the okay-ish draw we've been handed should make us aim higher.Avoid injuries to our key players and we can do anything.

franklin2323

Immortal

hahahahaha. So 22 yo Cameron Smith or JT is as good as 30 yo versions?

The players will get better as they play more game time. Simple as that

This time last year Whare and Mansour weren't at full training
Kikau and Katoa have just played WC SF
Edwards finally has a pre season as a starter
Bryce, JFH, Merrin fully fit after a bed season

these reasons alone will see this years team be better. Whether they improved enough to win it is the question

Luke Bowden

First Grade
No you dont get it.

The same lines are repeated every year. Including last year to this year.

X player has another year in first grade. Y player now has this experience. Things are more settled etc.

We drop a spot on the ladder and most of our guys were not as good as they were from 2016 to 2017.

Its the same situation with a weaker top squad. That extra experience didnt mean shit for improvement from 2016 to 2017.

We added Tamou and Browne. We had an extra year of experience in our young guys. We got guys back from injury. We got international experience in a few players. We killed it at the 9s with a young squad. Yet we still dropped a spot on the ladder and did no better in the finals.

Go look at the predictions thread for 2017.

Edit
For instance:

I get it just fine. You are obviously one of the people Hook was talking about in the press conference.

We exceeded my expectations in 2016.
We were about where I thought we’d be last year.

My prediction for 2018.

We will be pushing for a top 4 spot. Somewhere between 5-3.

On the back of a settled spine led by Maloney and the kicking of Clearly.

Our forward pack will dominate teams lead by RCG, Kikau, Merrin and a rejuvenated Tamou.

Merrin will be named Captain.

That’s what I see happening.

mxlegend99

Referee
hahahahaha. So 22 yo Cameron Smith or JT is as good as 30 yo versions?

The players will get better as they play more game time. Simple as that

This time last year Whare and Mansour weren't at full training
Kikau and Katoa have just played WC SF
Edwards finally has a pre season as a starter
Bryce, JFH, Merrin fully fit after a bed season

these reasons alone will see this years team be better. Whether they improved enough to win it is the question
Its not that simple. A player is not guaranteed to improve with every game. Players start to decline at some point. Players often never reach their potential. Or suffer an injury and are never the same again.

How many of our players improved from 2016 to 2017. Maybe 5 if that?

Moylan was worse
Mansour was worse
Peachey was worse
Blake was worse
DWZ was worse
Merrin was worse
Tamou was worse
Latu was worse
Cartwright was worse
Wallace was worse

Etc.

Some still played well enough. But another year doesnt guarantee improvement or a better season. Theres a million other factors.

Status
Not open for further replies.