What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

franklin2323

Immortal
Its not that simple. A player is not guaranteed to improve with every game. Players start to decline at some point. Players often never reach their potential. Or suffer an injury and are never the same again.

How many of our players improved from 2016 to 2017. Maybe 5 if that?

Moylan was worse
Mansour was worse
Peachey was worse
Blake was worse
DWZ was worse
Merrin was worse
Tamou was worse
Latu was worse
Cartwright was worse
Wallace was worse

Etc.

Some still played well enough. But another year doesnt guarantee improvement or a better season. Theres a million other factors.

Moylan, Latu have gone
Mansour, Cartwright, Merrin all were injured for big parts of the season
Blake played busted most of the year. Same with Wallace

We shouldn't go backwards at the very least. We scored more points then 3 teams that finished in front of us. No reason to say if we are healthy we don't improve that attack further

Luke Bowden

First Grade
Its not that simple. A player is not guaranteed to improve with every game. Players start to decline at some point. Players often never reach their potential. Or suffer an injury and are never the same again.

How many of our players improved from 2016 to 2017. Maybe 5 if that?

Moylan was worse
Mansour was worse
Peachey was worse
Blake was worse
DWZ was worse
Merrin was worse
Tamou was worse
Latu was worse
Cartwright was worse
Wallace was worse

Etc.

Some still played well enough. But another year doesnt guarantee improvement or a better season. Theres a million other factors.

I don’t think Mansour, Blake, Peachey, DWZ and Wallace were worst.

Mansour made the Kangaroo squad. Wallace was going to play origin.

Merrin and Cartwright were troubled with off field dramas and injury.

Tamou needs to improve - I agree.

That leaves Moylan and Latu - both gone.

So Based on this... add Edwards Maloney, Cleary, RCG, Kikau, CHN...

We look good.

mxlegend99

Referee
I get it just fine. You are obviously one of the people Hook was talking about in the press conference.

We exceeded my expectations in 2016.
We were about where I thought we’d be last year.

My prediction for 2018.

We will be pushing for a top 4 spot. Somewhere between 5-3.

On the back of a settled spine led by Maloney and the kicking of Clearly.

Our forward pack will dominate teams lead by RCG, Kikau, Merrin and a rejuvenated Tamou.

Merrin will be named Captain.

That’s what I see happening.
No. I have never rated Hook highly and always doubted his ability to get us to the top 4. I rate our roster just fine. Its a top 4 capable roster. Has been since 2014. I just dont think he is able to get the best out of it.

Im not saying we cant improve for 2018. We can. We have a much higher ceiling than we have seen.

Im just saying that nearly all the reasons to expect improvement in 2018 also existed at the start of the 2017 season. It doesnt just automatically happen though.

It doesnt take much for a player to have a poor season. It takes a lot for a player to improve every year though.

mxlegend99

Referee
I don’t think Mansour, Blake, Peachey, DWZ and Wallace were worst.

Mansour made the Kangaroo squad. Wallace was going to play origin.

Merrin and Cartwright were troubled with off field dramas and injury.

Tamou needs to improve - I agree.

That leaves Moylan and Latu - both gone.

So Based on this... add Edwards Maloney, Cleary, RCG, Kikau, CHN...

We look good.
They never reached the heights and consistency they did in 2016.

Im not saying they all played badly. Just that they had better seasons overall in 2016.

Another years experience just doesnt guarantee anything. Players get out what they put in. Cleary could turn to shit for all we know. Edwards could suffer second year Syndrome. Or they could have a breakout season that they never match again. Or continue to rise steadily

Last edited:

mxlegend99

Referee
Moylan, Latu have gone
Mansour, Cartwright, Merrin all were injured for big parts of the season
Blake played busted most of the year. Same with Wallace

We shouldn't go backwards at the very least. We scored more points then 3 teams that finished in front of us. No reason to say if we are healthy we don't improve that attack further
This is something we can say about nearly every season though.

Thats my point. The players arent guaranteed to have better seasons. In general experience improves a player for a portion of their careers. But individually every player has a different story.

How many players get better every single year? Has any player ever done that?

Luke Bowden

First Grade
No. I have never rated Hook highly and always doubted his ability to get us to the top 4. I rate our roster just fine. Its a top 4 capable roster. Has been since 2014. I just dont think he is able to get the best out of it.

Im not saying we cant improve for 2018. We can. We have a much higher ceiling than we have seen.

Im just saying that nearly all the reasons to expect improvement in 2018 also existed at the start of the 2017 season. It doesnt just automatically happen though.

It doesnt take much for a player to have a poor season. It takes a lot for a player to improve every year though.

You wrote him off on day 1 and never gave him a chance. Unfortunately for you, the Players, particularly the young ones, disagree with you.

You need to have a little bit more faith. The 2018 Panthers have 2017 under their belt. They will be better.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
This is something we can say about nearly every season though.

Thats my point. The players arent guaranteed to have better seasons. In general experience improves a player for a portion of their careers. But individually every player has a different story.

How many players get better every single year? Has any player ever done that?

Michael Morgan

OldPanther

Coach
Michael Morgan

He had a break out year this year but I don't think he's better every year. I agree with MX. Experience doesn't guarantee anything. For example a guy like Dylan Edwards who was apparently our best off season trainer last year I'd expect to gradually increase but not everyone is like that. Other factors also come into play like injury or off field issues.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
He had a break out year this year but I don't think he's better every year. I agree with MX. Experience doesn't guarantee anything. For example a guy like Dylan Edwards who was apparently our best off season trainer last year I'd expect to gradually increase but not everyone is like that. Other factors also come into play like injury or off field issues.

Break out year? I think that year was when he moved from FB to 6. I think he has improved every season up til now. Last year definitely his best.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
Well if experience doesn’t mean that much, may as well through Cleary into the blues side this year...he’ll be fine, just need talent.... don’t worry about everything you learn from each game you play...

OldPanther

Coach
Break out year? I think that year was when he moved from FB to 6. I think he has improved every season up til now. Last year definitely his best.

I just think he's had some good years but this year was his big one after JT was out.

Well if experience doesn’t mean that much, may as well through Cleary into the blues side this year...he’ll be fine, just need talent.... don’t worry about everything you learn from each game you play...

I think it depends on the player. Some seem to learn their lessons better than others. MX was right about the drop from 2016 - 17 but how much is other factors we can't know. I honeslty hope you're right and the team does get better being a year older. I'm sure we all do.

mxlegend99

Referee
He couldnt do worse than Pearce. Players dont improve with every single game and can get worse for some experiences. (Things that destroy confifenve). Pearce is no better in Origin now than he was in his debut.

I also never said experience doesnt matter at all. Youre just talking it up as if a player automatically improves with every game. It doesnt work like that. If it did players would never get replaced.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
He couldnt do worse than Pearce. Players dont improve with every single game and can get worse for some experiences. (Things that destroy confifenve). Pearce is no better in Origin now than he was in his debut.

I also never said experience doesnt matter at all. Youre just talking it up as if a player automatically improves with every game. It doesnt work like that. If it did players would never get replaced.

Not every player, Talented ones, like the ones we have.

mxlegend99

Referee
Not every player, Talented ones, like the ones we have.
Talent only goes so far.

Can go back through the years and find lots of talented players who had promising starts to their careers who never kicked on.

I never wish that upon our players. But it's a sad reality that some never kick on.

More recently you have Robert and George Jennings.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
Talent only goes so far.

Can go back through the years and find lots of talented players who had promising starts to their careers who never kicked on.

I never wish that upon our players. But it's a sad reality that some never kick on.

More recently you have Robert and George Jennings.

The players I’m talking about have already played 1st grade and proven they can play NRL, they all played well and will have learnt from the experience.

Now, with a solid pre-season, a bit more experience in the team, they will kick on. They’ve already shown they can.

I really don’t understand how you can’t see this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts