What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

mxlegend99

Referee
The players I’m talking about have already played 1st grade and proven they can play NRL, they all played well and will have learnt from the experience.

Now, with a solid pre-season, a bit more experience in the team, they will kick on. They’ve already shown they can.

I really don’t understand how you can’t see this.
So have the players I am talking about.

Jarrod Sammut. Geoff Daniela. Maurice Blair. Masada Iosefa. Joel Romelo. Matt Robinson. Nafe Seluini etc.

Plenty of talented players who showed potential in first grade and never kicked on. How short is your memory? I understand what you're talking about. But theres a f**king huge list of guys who showed NRL potential in the NRL and did nothing with it. They should have kicked on after a year or two... yet vanished instead.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
So have the players I am talking about.

Jarrod Sammut. Geoff Daniela. Maurice Blair. Masada Iosefa. Joel Romelo. Matt Robinson. Nafe Seluini etc.

Plenty of talented players who showed potential in first grade and never kicked on. How short is your memory? I understand what you're talking about. But theres a f**king huge list of guys who showed NRL potential in the NRL and did nothing with it. They should have kicked on after a year or two... yet vanished instead.

Who from our current squad do you think will head in that direction??? Please, you have provided a list of fringe 1st graders that never really showed anything, other than arguably Jarrod, who chased money over seas..

Luke Bowden

First Grade
None in the Carty or Moylan mould. Legit uncoachable freak ability. Players also need luck and hard work but players like those 2 don't come along very often

So you have to have “Legit uncoachable freak ability” (what ever that means) in order to be considered talented. Playing for your country obviously means nothing.... rightio....

mxlegend99

Referee
Who from our current squad do you think will head in that direction??? Please, you have provided a list of fringe 1st graders that never really showed anything, other than arguably Jarrod, who chased money over seas..
Hopefully none of them. Thats not the point. The point is not every player kicks on... a good season or two doesnt mean a player will have a long and great career.

They were promising first graders at some point. Even regulars. That vanished eventually.

Sammut played 38 games
Masada played 57 games
Daniela played 45 games
Blair played 99 games
Robinson played 38 games

I didnt pick out players who played 1 NRL game. Sucked and vanished. These were guys who were NRL regulars for us. In some cases other clubs. But never reached the potential. Theres a long list of guys like that... and odds on one or two at the club now who will do the same. Hopefully its not a Cartwright or Edwards. But the point is that not every players going to keep.improving.

Edit

From our current squad though.
Katoa
Leota
Jfh

Thats not considering guys who debuted in 2017 or will debut in 2018. Thats 2016 season or earlier guys who could go either way.

Last edited:

Fangs

Coach
On the Panthers 2017 marketing campaign...

Not nearly as bad as the 'Bred, Not Bought' travesty that the Bulldogs produced a few years back.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
Hopefully none of them. Thats not the point. The point is not every player kicks on... a good season or two doesnt mean a player will have a long and great career.

They were promising first graders at some point. Even regulars. That vanished eventually.

Sammut played 38 games
Masada played 57 games
Daniela played 45 games
Blair played 99 games
Robinson played 38 games

I didnt pick out players who played 1 NRL game. Sucked and vanished. These were guys who were NRL regulars for us. In some cases other clubs. But never reached the potential. Theres a long list of guys like that... and odds on one or two at the club now who will do the same. Hopefully its not a Cartwright or Edwards. But the point is that not every players going to keep.improving.

Edit

From our current squad though.
Katoa
Leota
Jfh

Thats not considering guys who debuted in 2017 or will debut in 2018. Thats 2016 season or earlier guys who could go either way.

Firstly:
Not one of the players you have mentioned has the potential of our current crop. Those players were all fringe 1st graders who held their spots until someone better came through or were brought in.

Secondly:
I’ve never said that our entire squad will go on to be superstars, if we remain injury free, there is a chance that some won’t get a crack at 3rd grade. That being the case, our team will be travelling very nicely.

Thirdly
I don’t get why you keep talking in absolutes and using words like “Guarantees”. Nothing in sport is Guaranteed, your best guess is all you can do.

I think the current squad will do very well next season, but it’s certainly isn’t guaranteed.

mxlegend99

Referee
Firstly:
Not one of the players you have mentioned has the potential of our current crop. Those players were all fringe 1st graders who held their spots until someone better came through or were brought in.
That's a load of shit. They had the potential and just never reached it. Its easy to look back and call them fringe first graders now. But they were all guys we had big expectations for. From the same crop of players we had the likes of Coote, Jennings, Graham etc. Go on to success.

Secondly:
I’ve never said that our entire squad will go on to be superstars, if we remain injury free, there is a chance that some won’t get a crack at 3rd grade. That being the case, our team will be travelling very nicely.
You are talking like everyone is going to keep getting better
Youre talking as though a player only has one possible career trajectory. Het better with every game played.

Thirdly
I don’t get why you keep talking in absolutes and using words like “Guarantees”. Nothing in sport is Guaranteed, your best guess is all you can do.

I think the current squad will do very well next season, but it’s certainly isn’t guaranteed.
Im not talking in guarantees or absolutes. I am well aware there are no guarantees and thats exactly my point.

You're talking like its a sure thing we improve in 2018. I hope we do. But theres a chance we have a few turn out like the guys i mentioned. Who were all at worst viewed as longterm regular first graders if not future superstars at some point.

Luke Bowden

First Grade

Show me where I have said “We are a sure thing to improve”. I never talk in absolutes, despite what you keep implying.

In my opinion, we will. That’s what I’ll be putting this years 300 bucks on.

You continue to put words in my mouth and it’s becoming frustratingly annoying.

I never said that every player gets better after every game. I said that the players will have learnt a lot from last season and will be better for it. That’s not just game time, that’s, game prep, recovery, dealing with travel, dealing with the media... all the stuff that goes with being an NRL team. You don’t think Dylan Edwards wouldn’t have learnt a shit load from playing in his 1st NRL finals series???

If you don’t think they’ll improve, so be it.

I personally think last year, we were a young squad who was a little bit full of themselves and we got our ass kicked in the opening rounds.

I can’t see that happening again.

mxlegend99

Referee
Show me where I have said “We are a sure thing to improve”. I never talk in absolutes, despite what you keep implying.

In my opinion, we will. That’s what I’ll be putting this years 300 bucks on.

You continue to put words in my mouth and it’s becoming frustratingly annoying.

I never said that every player gets better after every game. I said that the players will have learnt a lot from last season and will be better for it. That’s not just game time, that’s, game prep, recovery, dealing with travel, dealing with the media... all the stuff that goes with being an NRL team. You don’t think Dylan Edwards wouldn’t have learnt a shit load from playing in his 1st NRL finals series???

If you don’t think they’ll improve, so be it.

I personally think last year, we were a young squad who was a little bit full of themselves and we got our ass kicked in the opening rounds.

I can’t see that happening again.
I never said that nor has that been my argument.

Some will definitely improve and others wont. Same as every year. I think the best players from 2017 will have the most trouble improving.

The likes of Mez, Tamou and Carty... pretty easy to improve. Cleary and RCG... a bit harder since they had strong seasons.

May and CHN could go either way off serious injuries too. But they could still all improve. Sure.

Or we could turn to shit completely.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
I never said that nor has that been my argument.

Some will definitely improve and others wont. Same as every year. I think the best players from 2017 will have the most trouble improving.

The likes of Mez, Tamou and Carty... pretty easy to improve. Cleary and RCG... a bit harder since they had strong seasons.

May and CHN could go either way off serious injuries too. But they could still all improve. Sure.

Or we could turn to shit completely.

You’re crazy if you think our team is as good as it’s going to get.

Playing good consistent footy week in week out is an improvement.

Most of the squad will improve simply buy having a solid, injury free off season.

I’m not sure what your definition of improvement is, but’s it’s ckearly different to mine.

Hopefully, last year taught them what’s required to win the close games, come back when you’re behind and close out a game when you’re in front. That’s what hoping they have gained from last year.

Jimmy Maloney will also help massively!

mxlegend99

Referee
You’re crazy if you think our team is as good as it’s going to get.

Playing good consistent footy week in week out is an improvement.

Most of the squad will improve simply buy having a solid, injury free off season.

I’m not sure what your definition of improvement is, but’s it’s ckearly different to mine.

Hopefully, last year taught them what’s required to win the close games, come back when you’re behind and close out a game when you’re in front. That’s what hoping they have gained from last year.

Jimmy Maloney will also help massively!
I dont think our team will ever reach its potential under Hook. I know the team is capable of more than we have seen. That's the issue.

The main improvement Maloney will make is Hook cant change his halves 6 times through the season. But he is no match for the brilliance Moylan was capable of. Cartwright needs to be the bloke doing that now.

Hopefully he is picked at lock. Given free reign to do anything but told to focus on running the ball first. He's by far our best player if he sticks to his strengths. He's potentially our worst though if he doesn't. Im backing him for a huge 2018 if hes our lock.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
I dont think our team will ever reach its potential under Hook. I know the team is capable of more than we have seen. That's the issue.

The main improvement Maloney will make is Hook cant change his halves 6 times through the season. But he is no match for the brilliance Moylan was capable of. Cartwright needs to be the bloke doing that now.

Hopefully he is picked at lock. Given free reign to do anything but told to focus on running the ball first. He's by far our best player if he sticks to his strengths. He's potentially our worst though if he doesn't. Im backing him for a huge 2018 if hes our lock.

Cartwright is a very good player, but far from our best, You obviously have a very different opinion on what the team needs.

mxlegend99

Referee
Cartwright is a very good player, but far from our best, You obviously have a very different opinion on what the team needs.
If Cartwright fires he's capable of being our best easily. He's a player who doesnt need game plans to be dangerous, or for our team to have momentum at the time. He can single handedly change the momentum of a game and create a scoring play when it looks like we are incapable of scoring. Although he can also destroy momentum by getting carried away and doing something high risk.

A fit and firing Cartwright forming a combination with Edwards could carry us to the finals regardless of the halves. The trouble is keeping him fit and leaving him to develop. He didnt play anywhere near his potential for numerous reasons in 2017. For that reason alone i think hes going to be our most improved. That and he shouldnt be picked at 6 again in 2018.

May will certainly be the backup 6 now. So Carty can focus on lock or second row. Hopefully without off field distractions or injury

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
If Cartwright fires he's capable of being our best easily. He's a player who doesnt need game plans to be dangerous, or for our team to have momentum at the time. He can single handedly change the momentum of a game and create a scoring play when it looks like we are incapable of scoring. Although he can also destroy momentum by getting carried away and doing something high risk.

A fit and firing Cartwright forming a combination with Edwards could carry us to the finals regardless of the halves. The trouble is keeping him fit and leaving him to develop. He didnt play anywhere near his potential for numerous reasons in 2017. For that reason alone i think hes going to be our most improved. That and he shouldnt be picked at 6 again in 2018.

May will certainly be the backup 6 now. So Carty can focus on lock or second row. Hopefully without off field distractions or injury

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
After watching Carty in the last couple of games (finals) he was comming into some good form. He had a very challenging year in 17 (with stuff we all know about). This along with injury knockled him about. Hopefully he has a great 2018.

OldPanther

Coach
After watching Carty in the last couple of games (finals) he was comming into some good form. He had a very challenging year in 17 (with stuff we all know about). This along with injury knockled him about. Hopefully he has a great 2018.

Sure hope so. I think we'll end up like 2003. The opposition can score points we'll just get more.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
Cartwright will be coming of the bench in 2018, no way they are moving a fit Merrin out of 13.

He’s not our best player, not by a long shot.

RCG is curently our best. I can’t see that changing. Kikau should have a big year also.

OldPanther

Coach
Cartwright will be coming of the bench in 2018, no way they are moving a fit Merrin out of 13.

He’s not our best player, not by a long shot.

RCG is curently our best. I can’t see that changing. Kikau should have a big year also.

I think Cartwright at his best is better for the lock position then Merrin at his best.

I do think you might be right on what Griffin decides though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts