What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Random Tigers articles from the media

Vic Mackey

Referee
Chris Lawrence reveals the quality new recruits have brought back to the Wests Tigers

HAVING played for the Wests Tigers for the better part of 12 seasons, Chris Lawrence has witnessed first-hand the evolution of their club culture and been a crucial figure in their rollercoaster journey over the past decade.

He understands what it takes for an NRL club to have success after debuting for the Tigers the year after their famous 2005 grand final victory, but has now endured the painful suffering of missing finals every year since 2011.

The joint venture’s long stretch of failure isn’t down to any one reason but Lawrence has felt the burden of a veteran in a team light on experience and leadership.

It’s a problem that has largely been fixed by coach Ivan Cleary’s massive roster overhaul and Lawrence expects the senior players recruited to accelerate the club’s rebuilding phase.

“I think it’s going to be the senior players who are driving everything — it’s something we probably haven’t had in the last two or three years because we have had so many young players,” he said.

“With a lot of senior players like Josh Reynolds, Russell Packer and Ben Matulino (coming in) — guys like that with plenty of experience are going to really help drive everything (we’re trying to achieve).”

Cleary has put intense thought into his recruitment drive since his appointment as head-coach in April this year.

And while the marquee signings Reynolds, Matulino and Tui Lolohea will bolster their attacking prowess next season, it’s the signing of favourite son Benji Marshall and club legend Brett Hodgson to their coaching staff that will help re-establish the winning culture that was the envy of most NRL clubs in previous seasons.

Lawrence says the fresh faces have revitalised the atmosphere at a club where disappointment has weighed heavy.

“(There have been) massive changes to the feel about the place,” he said.

“It is a completely different team because you have so many people come into the squad and leaving so we obviously have a lot of different players and personalities so it really is a fresh feel.”

Lawrence cemented himself as one of the game’s best young talents throughout the early stages of his NRL career, but despite playing over 200 first-grade games and earning representative selection for NSW and Australia, his well-documented experiences with injury have caused havoc for the 29-year-old.

But it’s the resilience he learned in his darkest moments that has played a crucial role in his development as a professional, on and off the field.

“People ask me (what) if you didn’t have this or that injury — but I have no regrets and I wouldn’t change anything because it’s made me the person and player I am today,” he said.

“It’s shaped who I am and the way I act so I’ve definitely taken a lot of those things I learned through those tough times and that’s helped me to sort of have the career I’ve had.”

It’s the sort of character you would find in a club captain — a role Lawrence has put his hand up for knowing the race to succeed Aaron Woods as leader is wide open.

“I’d definitely love to be captain of the Tigers, I’ve been here my whole career,” he said.

“It would be such a special honour for myself but the success that will come next season is going to come from a senior group, and the leaders in the club are really driving everything we’re doing so I don’t think it’s going to come down to one person.

“At the end of the day, it’s about trying to make the team better — driving the culture we’re trying to build and that’s going to really drive our success.”

Chris should have been captain when Farah stepped down, look at the maturity he shows in comparison to that potplant Woods

gordsy

Juniors
Chris should have been captain when Farah stepped down, look at the maturity he shows in comparison to that potplant Woods
I wonder if the rumours of Lawrence white anting previous coaches are true and they thoughts a dope like Woods would be easier to control.

I'm happy that Benji is coming but that article makes you wonder how moronic the Sydney press are. Every year he trots out the same old crap about needing and wanting to do better and no one questions him on it. . I wish he'd stop saying it and start doing it.

Clifferd

Coach
Its good seeing recent Insta pics where Brooksy and Reynolds are having a laugh Together sharing a bond. I think their combination will be most crucial next year

Also to add onto that, not sure if already posted but Brooks looks primed (as in looks a lot fitter) than I’ve previously seen of him. Obviously realises next season is make or break

Vozzy

Juniors
There seems to be an article everyday about Benji or his opinion on things. Don't get me wrong this guy is a true Wests tigers legend. But I don't want him having some kind of Fox Sports media role talking about all things tigers like Aaron woods did. Just let your footy do your talking.

I'm not saying he has said anything bad but there has been an article on

- why he left and how hard it was
- why he came back
- his opinion on the halves
- he is a guest most nights at the World Cup during pre season training.
- probably other things.

Tiger05

First Grade
I love Benji but I can see your point. On the flip side these are positive articles and not the dross we got last year. I think it will help our image.

Winning is though the most important thing.

Das Hassler

Bench
Winning comes at the end of the most important thing

Re. the media..look at the winningest teams....Storm...Cows... they give the hacks no way in...they give interviews but give them NOTHING to feed off. Hope the understanding of that is part of the cited new culture. ..both with the administration and amongst the playing group...it's vital to have any hope of what they aspire to. Again...look at melbourne.

Last edited:

BrotherJim05

Bench
Winning comes at the end of the most important thing

Re. the media..look at the winningest teams....Storm...Cows... they give the hacks no way in...they give interviews but give them NOTHING to feed off. Hope the understanding of that is part of the cited new culture. ..both with the administration and amongst the playing group...it's vital to have any hope of what they aspire to. Again...look at melbourne.

They get away with this though because of the lack of media coverage. Journalists in Melbourne don't give a flying f**k about Rugby League, plus Townsville is so far away I doubt you have many journalists snooping around for a big scoop.

Sydney is a cess pool for scumbag journalists. They create drama around clubs then feed off the fictional stories they have created

Ron's_Mate

Bench
NRL 2018: David Nofoaluma plays through the pain for Wests Tigers
Adrian Proszenko
Published:
December 5 2017 - 6:00PM

David Nofoaluma enjoyed a remarkable season for someone who shouldn't have played beyond round seven.

It was then that he suffered an injury that required groin and hernia surgeries. Rather than get the operations done straight away – a move that would have effectively ended his year – the Wests Tigers winger played on because there was no one to fill his void.

It's not like Nofoaluma was playing for a contract – he had signed a lucrative four-year extension just weeks before suffering a sports hernia – but he played through the pain anyway.

"It gives you lower abdomen pain, and it takes away your power," Nofoaluma said.

"I tell you what, I don't want to experience it again.

"It took a bit out of me. I couldn't do certain movements. When I was tackled, it was hard for me to do a crunch. Even when sitting up, I couldn't get out of bed; I had to roll out.

"I've relied on some tablets the club gave me to help with the pain, but it didn't do much. I struggled all year."

It's been two months since Nofoaluma underwent the procedure and he is now able to participate in "90 per cent" of the Tigers' preseason. While South Sydney's Adam Reynolds suffered a similar injury and just had his hernia operated on, the Wests Tigers flanker opted to also have surgery on his groin to ensure there were no related issues.

"I could have [had the operation straight away], but there was no depth in the team, and Ivan [Cleary] needed me out there," he said.

"He said to stick it out until the end of the year and go from there."

When Nofoaluma committed to the Tigers in April, he was the first high-profile player to do so. At the time, the future of the "Big Four" of Aaron Woods, Mitchell Moses, James Tedesco and Luke Brooks was uncertain, and halfback Brooks would prove the only member to stay put.

Within weeks, the joint-venture outfit embarked on a signing spree that netted Josh Reynolds, Ben Matulino, Russell Packer, Chris McQueen, Benji Marshall, Robbie Rochow, Mahe Fonua, Taane Milne and Corey Thompson to vindicate Nofoaluma's decision.

"When I was signing, there was all that drama happening and I was nervous with [possibly] four good players about to leave," he said.

"What would happen to the Wests Tigers in 2018? But once I signed I was happy. It made me think afterwards, 'What's next for the club?', and a week later we signed Ben Matulino, and that gave me a bit of happiness; then we signed Packer two weeks after that, and it made me even happier.

"Then Reynolds come in, and I thought, 'We've got a good chance next year', and there were signings after signings.

"I couldn't wait to come to preseason to meet them all, and since they've been here they've slotted in well. There's a whole new vibe around here."

Nofoaluma's injury prevented him from again representing Samoa at the World Cup. It remains to be seen which will be his next representative jersey. The 24-year-old is eligible for NSW, Australia, Samoa and New Zealand, and is yet to decide his priority.

"[It's] always a goal to make the rep teams," he said.

"The good thing about me is I'm eligible for Samoa, New Zealand and Australia. It would be nice to play for NSW, but you have to think how many players are there and will stay there. If they play well, it's a tough one.

"I've had a think about it with my family and missus about possibly trying out for New Zealand, but we'll see how the year goes."

This story was found at: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...he-pain-for-wests-tigers-20171205-gzz1d1.html

Tiger Ted

Bench
That makes Moses's tantrum about Nofa even worse
I was at that match at Leichhardt where it was transparent to everyone bar the shitbag wanka moses that Nofa was on 1 leg !

Nofa has more integrity in his tiniest strand of hair than moses his uncle backdoor & cousin the swindler Isaac combined could ever attain !!

If Nofa can stay injury free he is in the upper echelon of outside backs in the game.

BrotherJim05

Bench
What a f**king legend. He played busted and had one of his best seasons, can't wait to see him rip in fully fit next year. I'm feeling a tough Reynolds, Miline, Nofa combo on that right edge. Nothing flashy, just good old fashion tough footy

Tigerm

First Grade
From the WT's website:

WESTS TIGERS 2018 NRL SQUAD (in alphabetical order)

Alex Twal — at Wests Tigers since 2017

Ben Matulino — arriving from New Zealand Warriors

Benji Marshall — arriving from Brisbane Broncos

Chris Lawrence — at Wests Tigers since 2006

Chris McQueen — arriving from Gold Coast Titans

Corey Thompson — arriving from Widnes Vikings

David Nofoaluma — at Wests Tigers since 2013

Elijah Taylor — at Wests Tigers since 2016

Esan Marsters — at Wests Tigers since 2017

Jacob Liddle — at Wests Tigers since 2016

JJ Felise — at Wests Tigers since 2016

Josh Aloiai — at Wests Tigers since 2016

Josh Reynolds — arriving from Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs

Kevin Naiqama — at Wests Tigers since 2015

Luke Brooks — at Wests Tigers since 2013

Mahe Fonua — arriving from Hull FC

Malakai Watene-Zelezniak — at Wests Tigers since 2017

Matt Eisenhuth — at Wests Tigers since 2017

Matt McIlwrick — at Wests Tigers since 2017

Michael Chee Kam — at Wests Tigers since 2016

Moses Suli — at Wests Tigers since 2017

Pita Godinet — arriving from Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles

Robbie Rochow — arriving from Melbourne Storm

Russell Packer — arriving from St. George-Illawarra Dragons

Sauaso Sue — at Wests Tigers since 2013

Taane Milne — arriving from St. George-Illawarra Dragons

Tim Grant — at Wests Tigers since 2016

Tuimoala Lolohea — at Wests Tigers since 2017

Tyson Gamble — arriving from Redcliffe Dolphins

2018 DEVELOPMENT LIST

Dylan Smith — arriving from Cronulla Sharks

Heath Gibbs — arriving from Newcastle Knights

Sam McIntyre — arriving from Newcastle Knights

Thomas Mikaele — at Wests Tigers since 2017

Tigerm

First Grade
Welcome to the Wests Tigers CEO Update for December.

We still may be more than three months away from the start of the 2018 NRL season but preparations are in full swing here at Wests Tigers. We’ve had players back in training for about a month now and the side is progressing well under the watchful eye of Ivan Cleary and his coaching team.

2018 marks one of the biggest playing roster shake-ups in the club’s history. I’m delighted with how seamlessly the new players and their families have settled into their new home here at Wests Tigers. The likes of Josh Reynolds, Ben Matulino, Chris McQueen, Robbie Rochow, Corey Thompson, Tyson Gamble and Pita Godinet are already making a valuable contribution to this great club and we’re looking forward to their careers going to another level at Wests Tigers.

It’s also been great to see a few old faces returning home. We all know what an incredibly talented player Brett Hodgson was. I think we are going to be equally as impressed with his coaching abilities as he leads the ISP squad and is also playing a key role in the NRL team as well. It’s also great to have Benji back and he’s already having a positive impact on and off the training field. In the coming weeks we’ll see our World Cup stars return to training, including a number of new faces in Russell Packer and Taane Milne.

Our coaching staff have all commented on how impressed they are with the shape that the players returned to training in. It was impressive to see the work they put in during their break and shows a strong level of commitment. They all understand what is required and that they have the opportunity to be a part of something truly special this season and in the years to come. While I won’t go into any specifics I’m happy to say that a number of personal bests have been broken already at this early stage of the pre-season.

I’d like to take this chance to thank all of you for committing to the club for 2018. It’s great to see that we already have more than 10,000 Members, which is a record for the club at this stage of the year. We have a great mix of new and returning Members and we look forward to having you all as a part of the club for the years to come. There’s still plenty of room on the bus so I encourage you to invite your friends, family and co-workers to get on board. I’m certain it’s going to be a fun and rewarding ride.

The highlight of the pre-season for me so far was the induction night we held at Wests Ashfield Leagues club for our staff, players and their families. We are a club rich in history and diversity. It was great to be able to give players, old and new, an insight into that proud past by debuting a special heritage video. If you haven’t had a chance to check it out I highly recommend you do here. It features interviews from some of the greatest players this club has ever produced. And will give you tremendous insight into what we are trying to achieve at this club – not just on the field, but as an inclusive culture that every fan is encouraged to be a part of.

It’s been great to see that while there has been a lot of work happening in our football department there has been just as much progress with our commercial team, with a number of new Corporate Partners joining us for the year ahead. We welcomed UTech to the club as a Platinum Partner. UTech are a leading Sydney commercial electrical contractor and will feature on our playing shorts in 2018.

The club was also proud to announce that Austbrokers Canberra have joined Wests Tigers as Coaches Sponsor for the coming two years. As well as partnering with Head Coach Ivan Cleary Austbrokers Canberra will support Wests Tigers’ community programs. We also announced that MSR Services Australia have extended their partnership with the club for a further two seasons and we look forward to continuing to build our relationship with the MSR Services Australia team.

Rounding out a busy period for our corporate team was news that we have welcomed the following new partners to Wests Tigers; Secom Technology, BCA National, DJK Excavations, Sydney Boulevard Hotel, Westpoint Formwork, Bluetongue Homes, TLH Group and Body Science. Welcome all!

The last month has also seen a lot of activity in our community department with a number of programs being run across our footprint. Earlier this month we were proud to hold our second annual Disability Day at the Michael Clarke Centre in Liverpool that helped celebrate the International Day of People Living with a Disability. The day was designed to give a special group of fans an insight into life as an NRL player, and showcased the Centre's facilities and the opportunities available for people with a disability. Check out the highlights here. We also launched the Lomandra-Berne Cup which was the result of a six week program working with students who attend two behaviour schools. The program showed the power of physical activity and rugby league in producing positive outcomes for these children.

Wests Tigers are also proud to have launched a new program providing support and assistance for students with a disability. The Wests Tigers Celebrating Varying Abilities Program was launched at Sarah Redfern Public School in Minto and has been designed to reduce the prevalence of bullying towards students with a disability while encouraging students to recognise and celebrate differences in students. It showcases the talent and potential of individuals living with a disability while also providing positive role models for students. You can find out more about the program here.

We’ve had plenty of interest in our proposed Centre of Excellence in recent months and I wanted to let you know that it remains a work in progress. We are continuing to work with all levels of Government. I can’t provide a definite timeframe at this stage but rest assured that everything possible is being done to turn the plan into reality.

I hope you all have an enjoyable Christmas and New Years and I look forward to seeing you at Wests Tigers games and events throughout 2018.

Justin Pascoe - Wests Tigers CEO

Ron's_Mate

Bench
Article has some good insight on Brooks, but seems weirdly edited at the end where it switches to quoting Fonua with no introduction.

How Wests Tigers coach Ivan Cleary got his players on the bus

Adrian Proszenko
Published:
December 16 2017 - 7:00PM

When Ivan Cleary uttered the words "On the bus", he didn't expect them to resonate.

It was April, Wests Tigers were in disarray and everyone had come to hear what the new man in charge was going to do about it.

Cleary, no stranger to rebuilds, summed it up perfectly. It was time for everyone to come together. And then he uttered a phrase that will, like Phil Gould's fabled "five-year plan", remain forever in the league lexicon: "On the bus".

"It was a bit of a throwaway line," Cleary says.

"But I used the line because, rightly or wrongly, it wasn't clear whether some players wanted to be there or they didn't. All I know is that if you're going to be successful, you want to be there and be part of it. Be connected.

"I don't know why everyone jumped on board, why they got on top of it.They just did.

"It's OK. I'm happy with that."

It's one thing to trot out a slogan – the media loved it and the Tigers' marketing department was soon producing caps and T-shirts bearing the words – but living those words is another matter.

Cleary's predecessor Jason Taylor was punted three weeks into the new season. The so-called "big four" would soon have only one remaining member, Luke Brooks. From the outside, it appeared the Tigers were throwing themselves under, rather than climbing aboard, the bus.

However, Cleary has navigated his way through a tricky initiation, rebuilding the club in much the same manner as he had done at the Warriors and Panthers.

"I've done that before, so I'm more accustomed to it – I know the road ahead," Cleary says.

"Even last season, when I first started, it was pretty cloudy, you'd have to say in many respects. There was lots going on, a lot of contracts in the air, a lot of uncertainty.

"Any time a coach is sacked mid-season, especially early in the year, there are some rough waters. But having done it before, I know the checkpoints. Based on experience, I could see the light at the end of the tunnel.

"I'm really confident. The roster we've got, the changes we've made and how the team finished up the year, it was a good lead-in to what we're going into now."

The Tigers now have a very different look about them. Some of the faces are new, others familiar.

Benji Marshall is back. So too legendary trainer Ronnie Palmer, a Balmain boy, while premiership-winning fullback Brett Hodgson joins Cleary's staff.

Josh Reynolds, Russell Packer, Ben Matulino, Chris McQueen, Mahe Fonua, Taane Milne, Robbie Rochow and Corey Thompson are along for the ride.

It hasn't taken long for Cleary to assemble the squad that represents a new beginning.

"It's always going to be difficult when you have a merged club, particularly two foundation clubs merging," Cleary says.

"There's so much history, past rivalry and loyalty that there is going to be some friction and cultural clashes.

"Over an 18-year period I know the club has never had a sustained period of success, for whatever reason.

"So we're looking to respect everything that's gone before us, but have the opportunity to grow a new culture that's very much Wests Tigers in its own right.

"The guys in this group have a unique opportunity to be trailblazers in that."

The change became apparent when the players began pre-season training. Veteran Tiger Chris Lawrence was too young to have experienced the club's only premiership, but old enough to have lived through the subsequent dramas, including the Robbie Farah fiasco, Taylor's sacking and the heart-wrenching departures of Mitchell Moses, Aaron Woods and James Tedesco.

"It's different because there's not as much negativity around this year," Lawrence said.

"It was a crazy six to eight weeks at the start of the season, even the pre-season. It was almost laughable by the end of it, each week it was something else.

"Hopefully it's all positive. Now when we do the media sessions we can talk about performances on the field and not the stuff off the field."

The new faces won't have long to gel. The Tigers have the toughest start to the year of any club, opening their campaign against the Roosters, Storm (twice), Brisbane and Parramatta in the opening five rounds.

For halfback Brooks, it's time to turn potential into performance.

"It's fair to say it's a big period in Luke's career," Cleary says.

"He's up around 70 or 80 games, he was probably elevated to a position maybe too early in his career. He wouldn't be the first, but he struggled with that a little bit with the ability he's got.

"At the end of last year, when I started working with him, he had much more control of the team rather than just part control. They are two different things.

"It's an important phase for his career and guys like Josh Reynolds and Benji are a great resource for him to learn and take some pressure off him."

There will be a different type of pressure on the newbies. With so much new talent – and enough room in the salary cap to buy two players before next season's kick-off – there will be plenty of competition for spots.

"I didn't want to finish my NRL career at 22," said Tongan international Fonua, who returns to Australia following a stint in the Super League.

"I felt I still had a lot left in me and took the opportunity to come back, so I took it with two hands.

"It's going to be a good headache for Ivan, him picking the team."

This story was found at: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...t-his-players-on-the-bus-20171216-h05tzd.html

Tigerm

First Grade
Wests Tigers welcome Centre of Excellence funding announcement

Wests Tigers have welcomed today’s announcement from the NSW Government regarding funding for the club’s Centre of Excellence.

As a part of today’s announcement the NSW Government has committed $5.5million to Wests Tigers’ project at Concord Oval.

This funding will be combined with that from a number of partners including PCYC and Canada Bay Council to develop an exceptional facility for Wests Tigers and its community.

Wests Tigers Chair Marina Go thanked the NSW Government for their support of the project.

“Everyone at Wests Tigers welcomes today’s announcement from the NSW Government and Minister Stuart Ayres,” said Go. “We’ve been working closely with the Minister and the NSW Office of Sport over a period of time to develop a proposal that we believe will create an exemplar facility that will benefit both Wests Tigers and the community.

Wests Tigers CEO Justin Pascoe said that the club looked forward to moving this project onto the next stage following today’s announcement.

“This contribution from the State Government is important in the evolution of the project,” said Pascoe. “This support adds to the contribution from our partners PCYC and Canada Bay Council and will help us develop a facility that houses multiple sports and infrastructure to run our community programs.

“This project is truly unique in the way that it brings together elite sport and our partners, with it being the first time ever that PCYC have partnered with a professional sporting team in this way,” said Pascoe.

Wests Tigers Head Coach Ivan Cleary said that this planned facility would have a positive impact on not only the club and its players but also the wider community.

“We currently have opportunities for people to come and watch the players train and they always say how much they love it,” said Cleary. “If you can have the opportunity where an elite team is training next to young kids it’s got to motivate them to want to be active and to aspire to bigger things.”

PCYC NSW CEO Dominic Teakle welcomed today’s announcement.

“This model provides a joint educational, sport, recreation and vocational facility that will benefit the community through health, mentoring and educational programs and activities,” said Teakle. “This project provides incredible bang for buck for the government and PCYC are proud to be a part of this project and this partnership with Wests Tigers.”