What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

James Graham.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
I think Mary may not have the tactical sense but man management is his key strength. Players seem to really respect him and the culture at the club is great and has been for a while. If they can get Neil Henry as his assistant as Neil has the good tactical nous that Mary needs it will be a good combo as Henry seems to have bad man management skills. They can strike up a good balance and be very successful together. I don't get why they got that pommie dude instead.

possm

Coach
I think Mary may not have the tactical sense but man management is his key strength. Players seem to really respect him and the culture at the club is great and has been for a while. If they can get Neil Henry as his assistant as Neil has the good tactical nous that Mary needs it will be a good combo as Henry seems to have bad man management skills. They can strike up a good balance and be very successful together. I don't get why they got that pommie dude instead.
Being loved by the players and loyal to them when it comes to selection in first grade does not make for good man management. Look to the strong and fair charactors of the Storm and Broncos coaches to see true respect.

Drag Queen

Bench
No denying Paul McGregor is a nice bloke but he isn't being paid to be their friend. He needs to start firing up quite a few players imo.

epDragon62

First Grade
There's no evidence that getting Henry on board is being considered, is there?

TruSaint

Referee
No denying Paul McGregor is a nice bloke but he isn't being paid to be their friend. He needs to start firing up quite a few players imo.

Nailed it.
Nice bloke will get you a free beer or two.
Mary has had ample opportunity to stamp his authority with reasonable squads. Top 8 squads IMHO.
2018 should be his defining moment.
The status quo is unacceptable.

Walpole

Juniors
I'm looking forward to Graham playing with us next year more than any other player.
Lawrie and the young forwards coming through can learn so much from him.
It can only be a good thing for young blokes like Lawrie, Kerr, Sele, Host and Leilua to be around a hard nosed veteran like Graham who hates losing more than just about anyone in the comp.

Bench
It can only be a good thing for young blokes like Lawrie, Kerr, Sele, Host and Leilua to be around a hard nosed veteran like Graham who hates losing more than just about anyone in the comp.
I saw a game last year when Graham was taken out of the game with about 10 minutes left in the game.
To say he was pissed would be an understatement
That is the attitude we need in our team.

TruSaint

Referee
I saw a game last year when Graham was taken out of the game with about 10 minutes left in the game.
To say he was pissed would be an understatement
That is the attitude we need in our team.

Yeah, it goes beyond that mate. Have followed him for some time and always wanted some on of his ilk in our squad. Watch his reaction when his team is up by 18 and 2 minutes to go and they let in a try. He losses the plot and lets them know it. Each point counts an each play counts. Rare to see such emotion nowadays. Like i said, a winner at all cost.. Love that shite. :)

Smurf

Juniors
Yeah, it goes beyond that mate. Have followed him for some time and always wanted some on of his ilk in our squad. Watch his reaction when his team is up by 18 and 2 minutes to go and they let in a try. He losses the plot and lets them know it. Each point counts an each play counts. Rare to see such emotion nowadays. Like i said, a winner at all cost.. Love that shite. :)

Totally agree TruSaint

Also on a side note
Thank you for all your posts
Much appreciated

Wish you and all dragons fans a merry Christmas and a red and white 2018 !!!!

TruSaint

Referee
Totally agree TruSaint

Also on a side note
Thank you for all your posts
Much appreciated

Wish you and all dragons fans a merry Christmas and a red and white 2018 !!!!

Cheers Smurf,

Have a safe and wonderful Christmas ...

TomRedVRiver

Bench
Graham showing the way for young Dragons forward

Graham's first week

James Graham had just finished his third training session since joining the St George Illawarra Dragons when he grabbed rookie forward Blake Lawrie and suggested they do some more fitness work.

As most of the Dragons players prepared for a run to the beach adjoining WIN Stadium after the gruelling session on Thursday, Graham and Lawrie continued to train together before joining their teammates in the surf.

"He has only been here a few days but he has impressed me," Lawrie told NRL.com. "You can tell how he has got to where he has and why he has played as many games as he has just by what he does on the training paddock.

"He is always working hard and he always does extras. He just pulled me aside at the end of training then and we did a couple of extras together."

Graham only began training with the Dragons this week following a trip to England and Canada to visit family after the World Cup but he is already demonstrating why the club was so keen to sign him from the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs.

With a number of promising young forwards in his squad, including Lawrie, Jacob Host, Hame Sele and Luciano Leilua, Dragons coach Paul McGregor is looking for Graham - who has more than 400 NRL, Super League and Test matches on his resume - to assist with their development this season by acting as a forward leader.

"You can just tell he has got a wealth of experience in his head," said Lawrie, who played six NRL matches last season. "Every little thing he has got to say something about he has got a different opinion or a different aspect."

Tariq Sims on James Graham's arrival

Graham said he enjoyed mentoring younger players and was excited about the potential at the Dragons in coming seasons, with Lawrie (5 games), Host (19), Sele (15) and Leilua (4) all just 21 years of age but each having played first grade.

"As an older guy, I like seeing those younger guys coming through and seeing their careers develop," the 32-year-old English prop said.

"We have seen a few young lads here get that taste of first team last year, they have got that first season under their belt, they know what the NRL is about and what they need to do to play week to week and I think we will see some of them come to the forefront of this pack this year."

Known for his ball-playing ability as well as his toughness up front, Graham said he was happy to play either style depending on McGregor's wishes.

"If they want me to play with the ball or whether they just want me to tuck it up my jumper I will do that.

"The plan might differ from week-to-week but I have just got to fit into the team and play my role to the best of my ability. I am here to do my best and try to play the best I can. I just want to play well for this club."

TruSaint

Referee
Graham showing the way for young Dragons forward

Graham's first week

James Graham had just finished his third training session since joining the St George Illawarra Dragons when he grabbed rookie forward Blake Lawrie and suggested they do some more fitness work.

As most of the Dragons players prepared for a run to the beach adjoining WIN Stadium after the gruelling session on Thursday, Graham and Lawrie continued to train together before joining their teammates in the surf.

"He has only been here a few days but he has impressed me," Lawrie told NRL.com. "You can tell how he has got to where he has and why he has played as many games as he has just by what he does on the training paddock.

"He is always working hard and he always does extras. He just pulled me aside at the end of training then and we did a couple of extras together."

Graham only began training with the Dragons this week following a trip to England and Canada to visit family after the World Cup but he is already demonstrating why the club was so keen to sign him from the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs.

With a number of promising young forwards in his squad, including Lawrie, Jacob Host, Hame Sele and Luciano Leilua, Dragons coach Paul McGregor is looking for Graham - who has more than 400 NRL, Super League and Test matches on his resume - to assist with their development this season by acting as a forward leader.

"You can just tell he has got a wealth of experience in his head," said Lawrie, who played six NRL matches last season. "Every little thing he has got to say something about he has got a different opinion or a different aspect."

Tariq Sims on James Graham's arrival

Graham said he enjoyed mentoring younger players and was excited about the potential at the Dragons in coming seasons, with Lawrie (5 games), Host (19), Sele (15) and Leilua (4) all just 21 years of age but each having played first grade.

"As an older guy, I like seeing those younger guys coming through and seeing their careers develop," the 32-year-old English prop said.

"We have seen a few young lads here get that taste of first team last year, they have got that first season under their belt, they know what the NRL is about and what they need to do to play week to week and I think we will see some of them come to the forefront of this pack this year."

Known for his ball-playing ability as well as his toughness up front, Graham said he was happy to play either style depending on McGregor's wishes.

"If they want me to play with the ball or whether they just want me to tuck it up my jumper I will do that.

"The plan might differ from week-to-week but I have just got to fit into the team and play my role to the best of my ability. I am here to do my best and try to play the best I can. I just want to play well for this club."

I know the ball playing skills of forwards at the Dogs was battered in the media, but I hope that Mary doesnt "restrict" James's capacity to the point where he becomes a 32 year old battering ram.

He offers so much more...

There is a balance I believe.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Lose his mongrel ? Impossible... ( although i get your point ).
My concern is that he will be " structured " to play a certain "power game ", and inhibit his instincts.

Agree true.
I hope he can be allowed to use his skills and to pass them on to young guns.
His work ethics will rub of on the other expecially the young guys like luc.