What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Zac Lomax

Drag Queen

Bench
Give Lomax the FB position? "Here you are son, do your best"
I don't think so.
Give the kid some time in reserve grade and bring him through when ready.
Sorry Crush but our reserve grade didn't cut the mustard under Head. Granted we lost a few key players, Nona, Dodd. Wakeman, Drew and Quinny to name a few. Did you watch the semis when we got knocked sideways by the dogs reserve grade? Dufty in particular lost us that game.. I see no reason to not throw Lomax into first grade.

Drag Queen

Bench
So do you think Easts did the wrong thing blooding Latrell Mitchell as early as they did? I don't.

Do you think Manly blooded Tom Trbjovic too early? I don't.

So you think that Canberra blooded Cotric too early? I don't.

I think Mitchell and Tom Turbo are 2 very good comparisons to Lomax.
Yep.

Crush

Coach
Sorry Crush but our reserve grade didn't cut the mustard under Head. Granted we lost a few key players, Nona, Dodd. Wakeman, Drew and Quinny to name a few. Did you watch the semis when we got knocked sideways by the dogs reserve grade? Dufty in particular lost us that game.. I see no reason to not throw Lomax into first grade.
Id give Dufty 1st crack. He might just make the transition you never know. If he has a shocker then we have options. I base this purely on hope but I reckon Dufty will be able to step up and make it big in the nrl.

Frank Facer

First Grade
I don't think we will win the comp next year. I do think that if we blood the likes of Lomax and either Matherson Johns, Herbert or even Marsters this year, then by 2019, we may be a genuine premiership chance. I will also add that we should be giving Host and Leilua more game time with the idea of having them seasoned for 2019.

Drag Queen

Bench
Id give Dufty 1st crack. He might just make the transition you never know. If he has a shocker then we have options. I base this purely on hope but I reckon Dufty will be able to step up and make it big in the nrl.
Whilst I hold reservations I trust your judgement. We should be able to guage this after the first few rounds. I will admit that I liked Dugan as our FB. Maybe that's why I see the potential in Lomax.

BennyV

Referee
Normally I would agree with you, except our pathways are looking a bit weak atm. Do you think a year under Head will give him any advantage? I'm not so sure.
Not sure that our pathways are weak, just that the chosen ones in first grade arent the best performers.

It's not about giving him time under Head, its about giving his body a few months to adapt. The step up to NSW Cup from U20s is fairly sizeable, then the step to first grade is bigger again. Start him at fullback or centre in NSW Cup, give him a few rounds for his body to get use to the additional impact playing against men and at a higher speed, then let him come into first grade via the wing and get used to the speed and impact of the Big Show there. By the end of the season, you'd hope he is fully entrenched and used to the top grade so that next year he can focus on playing in his natural position or gunning for the fullback jersey.

BennyV

Referee
So do you think Easts did the wrong thing blooding Latrell Mitchell as early as they did? I don't.

Do you think Manly blooded Tom Trbjovic too early? I don't.

So you think that Canberra blooded Cotric too early? I don't.

I think Mitchell and Tom Turbo are 2 very good comparisons to Lomax.
Very interesting choice of examples, particularly those you say are 'good comparisons'. Let's look at them!

Mitchell - played all his junior footy at fullback and started the year at fullback following the loss of first choice fullback after the 2014 season. After a few rounds, was switched to the wing for Michael Gordon and only played bits and pieces of fullback for the rest of the year. Robinson cites the reasoning that it was too much to expect a young body to cope with the transition to first grade playing fullback.

Turbo - debut year in 2015 when he was a year older than Lomax. Played a handful of games to cover for injury, all on the wing, and was moved back to NYC and reserve grade when the team were at full strength. Started 2016 on the wing, went to FB halfway through the season to cover injury. First full year in the #1 jersey was 2017.

These examples actually back up my point!

Cotric is still not a terrible example - a star centre in NYC, but brought through on the wing for a full season, and likely wont see the 3 or 4 jersey full time until 2019.

So yeah, I dont think they were brought through too early, but they were brought through properly. Kind of backs up my point, not yours...

Drag Queen

Bench
Not sure that our pathways are weak, just that the chosen ones in first grade arent the best performers.

It's not about giving him time under Head, its about giving his body a few months to adapt. The step up to NSW Cup from U20s is fairly sizeable, then the step to first grade is bigger again. Start him at fullback or centre in NSW Cup, give him a few rounds for his body to get use to the additional impact playing against men and at a higher speed, then let him come into first grade via the wing and get used to the speed and impact of the Big Show there. By the end of the season, you'd hope he is fully entrenched and used to the top grade so that next year he can focus on playing in his natural position or gunning for the fullback jersey.

I get where you're coming from Benny. Given he has some size about him, and fitness, he might not need as much time in reggies as some do. Here's hoping.

BennyV

Referee
I get where you're coming from Benny. Given he has some size about him, and fitness, he might not need as much time in reggies as some do. Here's hoping.
Oh definitely agree with that. I wouldn’t be surprised if he was in first grade by halfway through the season (although Mary refuses to drop people).

Drag Queen

Bench
Oh definitely agree with that. I wouldn’t be surprised if he was in first grade by halfway through the season (although Mary refuses to drop people).
Therein lies the problem. Bloody Mary. If he is going to show any nous to keep his job, this will be the season to do it otherwise he will be gone.

Drag Queen

Bench
Gasnier and Cooper got introduced to 1st grade by an apprenticeship on the Wing......why can't Lomax????
Gasnier and Cooper got introduced to 1st grade by an apprenticeship on the Wing......why can't Lomax????
If you can get McGregor to drop either Nighty or MacDonald you may get your wish. Can't see it happening unless one of them gets injured unfortunately.

possm

Coach
Normally I would agree with you, except our pathways are looking a bit weak atm. Do you think a year under Head will give him any advantage? I'm not so sure.

Lomax to start at fullback in reserve grade, Field at five-eighth in reserve grade. Probably Mann on the left wing and a tossup for the right wing between Nightingale, Macdonald and our young guns.

My predictions is that by mid season 2018, Lomax will performing so well at fullback in reserve grade that he will force his way into the fullback position in first grade.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
The Dragons website has:
Lomax listed as a centre
Field listed as a halfback
Masters listed as a fullback
Mann listed as a fullback
Garrick listed as a centre

Although I feel its as accurate as a 2 bob watch the info hasbto comebfrom somewhere.

Also, if anyone has looked at the New South Wales cup team there are seven names listed there who are not connected to the top 30 or the development Squad inc: Jack Payne, both Clune bros, TJ Uele, Ryan Fletcher, Jay Gallagher and John Tohi.
Does anyone have any info on how this works, like is it a 2nd tier type thing or just signed to play reserves only?