What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

30 years ago...

JJ

Immortal
FMD I am getting old...

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/crick...-day-test-that-stopped-two-cricketing-nations

Fair to say we were hard done by - Smith and Hadlee showing real class back then - Whitney doing it in 2015.

At the time I was actually pleased for Australia (Border especially who I admired, and was so tough and hadn't won anything as captain) - shouldn't have been LOL - last time we played a bloody Boxing Day test

I'm nostalgic, but at his best Hadlee was so special - what a bowler

TheParraboy

Staff member
I always liked Hadlee. Could never understand the crowd hate for him. Never carried on like a pork chop. Right up there with one of the best bowlers of his time. Could handle a bat ok as well.

We we pretty lucky in that test to get away with a draw.

Mr Spock!

Referee
FMD I am getting old...

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/crick...-day-test-that-stopped-two-cricketing-nations

Fair to say we were hard done by - Smith and Hadlee showing real class back then - Whitney doing it in 2015.

At the time I was actually pleased for Australia (Border especially who I admired, and was so tough and hadn't won anything as captain) - shouldn't have been LOL - last time we played a bloody Boxing Day test

I'm nostalgic, but at his best Hadlee was so special - what a bowler

Saw him bowl an over to Dean Jones where Jones couldn't lay a hand on him until he got out.

Iafeta

Referee
Old mate French. Wow. Craig McDermott should have bought a lotto ticket that night. Plumb leg before to Danny Morrison. What Danny said is correct, it was missing leg and off.

But not middle stump.

Lol at Dyer still claiming he wasn't a dubious merkin.

roofromoz

First Grade
Don't remember this match but I do remember Border's double century in the same series at Adelaide.

Remember being a snotty nosed 10 year watching this.

Was so excited when we hung on for a draw.

Times were tough back then for a young Aussie fan, I think i only saw about two or 3 Aussie wins in about 4 years :joy::joy::joy:

That period from Kim Hughes resignation to the Ashes 89 is all but forgotten from that era.

But that's my early childhood. Some gems in there. This NZ was amazing.

I've said for years a series vs NZ of Adelaide, Melbourne and Sydney promoted well would match the Bledisloe or ANZAC RL Tests. And play the test and then the ODI and then T20 all in the one city in a 10-12 day window. Save on travel costs etc.

It's one thing I love is playing NZ in sport.

Mr Spock!

Referee
Chappelli and Rod Marsh in commentary. Bloody hell, would have been a helluva number of war stories from the 70s I'm guessing.

There used to be a lot of those guys in commentary back then: Dougie Walters, Greg Chappell, Max Walker, Stackpole.....

Iafeta

Referee
Fred Goodall was undoubtedly our equivalent. The 1980/81 iirc tour from the West Indies was played in appalling spirit and Fred was front and centre.

There was a few of them going around. Shakoor Rana, Khyzer Hyatt and the like were just as dubious as Baillache, Goodall, French.

Mr Spock!

Referee
Fred Goodall was undoubtedly our equivalent. The 1980/81 iirc tour from the West Indies was played in appalling spirit and Fred was front and centre.

There was a few of them going around. Shakoor Rana, Khyzer Hyatt and the like were just as dubious as Baillache, Goodall, French.

Yep, lots of hometown decisions like Miandad hardly ever being given out lbw in Pakistan.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Yep, lots of hometown decisions like Miandad hardly ever being given out lbw in Pakistan.

Not just Miandad, Qadirs most famous appeal on the Gatting walk off tour was

"Howzat? ----'---

That was my googly"

And then latently given out.

JJ

Immortal
Richard Hadlee owned our bitch ass,her averaged like 18 in Australia with the ball
yeah, totally - 10 five wicket bags in 12 tests IN Australia

Just a great great bowler later in his career - ironically criticised for moving to the shorter run up, when he became a great bowler as opposed to an occasionally great tearaway quick

Latest posts