What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wests on the Jersey

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I dont know if this will be contraversial or so obvious it would go without saying, but im interested to hear some opinions...

What would everyone think about the Wests Rosella logo as a shoulder patch on the Knights jersey (like Wests Magpies on the Tiger jumper)?

I think it would be a cool little adition, and maybe even give the other local clubs around newcastle an incentive to chip in some funds. (like one of those old European crests in quarters or eighths, showing all of the kingdoms that have come together to create this united thing).

Or is it better to avoid the hasstle of local rivalries?

macavity

Referee
I dont know if this will be contraversial or so obvious it would go without saying, but im interested to hear some opinions...

What would everyone think about the Wests Rosella logo as a shoulder patch on the Knights jersey (like Wests Magpies on the Tiger jumper)?

I think it would be a cool little adition, and maybe even give the other local clubs around newcastle an incentive to chip in some funds. (like one of those old European crests in quarters or eighths, showing all of the kingdoms that have come together to create this united thing).

Or is it better to avoid the hasstle of local rivalries?

You aren't from Newcastle, are you?

Wests are basically the Manly of the Newcastle comp. Until relatively recent times (think mid 2000s) you could expect abuse (at best) when identifying yourself as a Wests fan in certain circles.

Pragmatism has won out here, and everyone now understands it is the only way forward... but for cohesiveness, this is a really really bad idea.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
You aren't from Newcastle, are you?

Wests are basically the Manly of the Newcastle comp. Until relatively recent times (think mid 2000s) you could expect abuse (at best) when identifying yourself as a Wests fan in certain circles.

Pragmatism has won out here, and everyone now understands it is the only way forward... but for cohesiveness, this is a really really bad idea.

Hahahaha, i always wondered if that Maggots name was real...

No, im from down south. Its why i ask.

Everyone seemed super excited about Wests taking over and i know the love for old local teams. I guess the wealthy and successful teams are always the most hated. Anyway, i bow to the wisdom of others...

macavity

Referee
Hahahaha, i always wondered if that Maggots name was real...

No, im from down south. Its why i ask.

Everyone seemed super excited about Wests taking over and i know the love for old local teams. I guess the wealthy and successful teams are always the most hated. Anyway, i bow to the wisdom of others...

No harm in asking mate!

We are excited about finally being financially stable. But yeah, Wests.

To put it in perspective, I played for Glendale in under 11s - we won the comp, undefeated. Next year we couldn't field a team as 8 of our team (coincidently, the best 8) were suddenly playing for Wests.

As an aside, that year we beat Windale in the grand final, in Windale... and couldn't complete our lap of honour as we were getting pelted with (still full) bottles and cans. As 10 year olds.

Yeah the early 90s.

Burns

First Grade
No harm in asking mate!

To put it in perspective, I played for Glendale in under 11s - we won the comp, undefeated. Next year we couldn't field a team as 8 of our team (coincidently, the best 8) were suddenly playing for Wests.

As an aside, that year we beat Windale in the grand final, in Windale... and couldn't complete our lap of honour as we were getting pelted with (still full) bottles and cans. As 10 year olds.

Yeah the early 90s.
Played for Souths Newcastle up until U18's. Wests are our archrivials, we would always get clobbered and Wests would poach the best players in each division to ensure they had the best juniors. Wests are awful.

First Grade
No harm in asking mate!

Yeah the early 90s.
Ah the joys of growing up in Windale, we were a pretty reasonable bunch of blokes if we liked you lol. Played for Gateshead High (now Hunter sports High) and played soccer for Charlestown Hotspurs we loved the battles with the non housing commision teams / schools.

macavity

Referee
Played for Souths Newcastle up until U18's. Wests are our archrivials, we would always get clobbered and Wests would poach the best players in each division to ensure they had the best juniors. Wests are awful.

I went from Glendale to Souths.

Knight Vision

First Grade
oh this is taking me back, I played for Glendale U/11's 12's and 13's back in the early 80's , Ashley "flash" Gordon who went on the play with the Knights was centre and we had a number of kids from the Aboriginal hostel at Cardiff in the side. Just over from the ground was a cow paddock from memory. Those were the days.

macavity

Referee
oh this is taking me back, I played for Glendale U/11's 12's and 13's back in the early 80's , Ashley "flash" Gordon who went on the play with the Knights was centre and we had a number of kids from the Aboriginal hostel at Cardiff in the side. Just over from the ground was a cow paddock from memory. Those were the days.

Remember running laps on the back oval and going close to collapsing from the mozzie bites. Pretty sure our coach got off on inflicting pain on others

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I used to love playing in the getto areas...

I was in Group 7s (Illawarra-South Coast) when i was a kid. My favourite was playing at Dapto (just across from the greyhound track). The other team was alright, just the cheerleaders were shit scary.

We learned very quickly that they didnt like being called "Dapto dogs"