What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alastair Cook - Will he break all of Tendulkar's Test records?

Mr Spock!

Referee

Bazal

Post Whore
Cook averages 50 in Australia, a place where many English bats struggle. He averages 51 in India.

He's one of the best openers of my lifetime and any talk of him being a flat track bully is unbelievably laughable. Hayden isn't even in the same solar system.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Saffa Pieterson aside, Cook is the best batsman England has produced since Gooch and is probably just about past him too.

Bazal

Post Whore
Hayden never had to play against Australia and he couldn’t hit a ball off the square till most of the good bowlers retired.

Averaged 26 before 2001. Ambrose, Walsh both got him 3 times in those years. Alan Donald got him meekly in South Africa and he was Pollocks bunny in a series here.

Walsh retired in 2001. Ambrose in 2000, Donald in 02.

Completely coincidentally Hayden started averaging over 50 after that...

Last edited:

TheParraboy

Staff member
Hayden was great in India and on home decks

He also had a brilliant purple patch in the ODIs for a while, really dominated

You can make pros and cons statistics against guys like Cook, Graeme Smith and Sehwag.

all were fine well above average openers imo, the hardest position to bat in the order

Bazal

Post Whore
Hayden was great in India and on home decks

He also had a brilliant purple patch in the ODIs for a while, really dominated

You can make pros and cons statistics against guys like Cook, Graeme Smith and Sehwag.

all were fine well above average openers imo, the hardest position to bat in the order

Hayden did well in India.

Had the same average there as Cook does, actually...

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Averaged 26 before 2001. Ambrose, Walsh both got him 3 times in those years. Alan Donald got meekly him in South Africa and he was Pollocks bunny in a series here.

Batting like a snail at the oval in 05 playing for himself instead of the side. Never liked the merkin since.

Loved the drop in roads of the MCG as much as anyone.

Mr Spock!

Referee
Cook averages 50 in Australia, a place where many English bats struggle. He averages 51 in India.

He's one of the best openers of my lifetime and any talk of him being a flat track bully is unbelievably laughable. Hayden isn't even in the same solar system.

Lol take out two doubles on roads and he's worse than Atherton.

Useless against decent pace as found out by Saffers, Australia and in NZ.

Loves the medium pace of the sub continent teams though.

Mr Spock!

Referee
Averaged 26 before 2001. Ambrose, Walsh both got him 3 times in those years. Alan Donald got him meekly in South Africa and he was Pollocks bunny in a series here.

FFS Cook would shit himself if he had to face that WI attack. He's been found out by the pace of Aust, SA and the mighty NZ.

It's a travesty if Cook overtakes any of the 10 000+ club.

The ultimate flat track bully and humiliator of medium pace attacks on roads.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
If we're taking out doubles on roads then let's start with Hayden's 380 against Zimbabwe in Perth. His other double against India gets a pass mark.

And then we'll take out Atherton's doubles....hang on, the merkin never scored one on his way to averaging 37.

Bazal

Post Whore
If we're taking out doubles on roads then let's start with Hayden's 380 against Zimbabwe in Perth. His other double against India gets a pass mark.

And then we'll take out Atherton's doubles....hang on, the merkin never scored one on his way to averaging 37.

While we're at it let's take out all Hayden's hundreds on roads. Probably leaves him with about four....

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
While we're at it let's take out all Hayden's hundreds on roads. Probably leaves him with about four....
Also take out Hayden's hundreds in second innings when Australia were ahead by about 500 and he'd be down to about two

2 weeks

Coach
Good fred this one imo.
Seems to haved segued from Cook >> Tendulkar to Cook >> Haydos.

If I had to pick an Aussie opener to bat for my life i'd take the brown nose gnome.
Thought Gavaskar was a merkin but he was good back when India were still minnows.

The way I see it is i'd have Cook if my life was on the line, but Haydos if we were chasing.
Both have ( had ) holes in their games.

Latest posts