What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5th Ashes Test: Australia v England at the SCG, Jan 4-8 2018

2 weeks

Coach
https://www.foxsports.com.au/cricke...s/news-story/718a2513383048f788162f206449a460

Steve Smith’s record-smashing 23rd Test century drives him further towards greatness
AUSTRALIA

• December 30, 2017 6:19pm
  • by JOE BARTON
  • Source: FOX SPORTS
ANOTHER Test and another dressing room of legends fall to the blade of Steve Smith.
Smith barely celebrated after bringing up a patient century which saved the Test for Australia and kept England winless this series.

The unbeaten 102 also ensured that by the new year he will breathe the rarefied air that will ensure he — and only he — can be considered the best since Bradman, from a purely statistical viewpoint.

Smith’s 23rd Test century, brought up with a scampering single on an otherwise stale final day at the MCG, helped reel off ever more astonishing statistics.

From six innings this series, Smith has already passed 600 runs and has landed his third century: to put that in context, only one Australian — Bradman, naturally — has hit four in an Ashes series.

You’d be a madman to back against Smith — whose live average of 63.55 is the highest of any player in history at the 60-Test mark, bettering that of Sir Garfield Sobers’ 61.96 — doing so again at his home ground, the SCG, in the new year.

“I spoke to him a few years ago and called him the modern-day Bradman and he laughed and said ‘don’t say that’ — but I think we can say that now,” former Test opener Michael Slater said in commentary.

Being his 23rd Test ton, Smith now draws level with champion opener Justin Langer — the pair equal eighth on the list of Australia’s most prolific centurions.

Ahead of them are a who’s who of Australia’s all-time greats: Bradman, Ponting, Waugh, Hayden, Clarke, Border and Greg Chappell.

Can he reach them?

“I don’t know... Hopefully I’ve got a few more left in me,” Smith said after play.

“I feel like I’ve certainly got a lot more Test cricket in front of me. I’d like to keep on making big runs.

“I don’t play for the personal accolades. I play to do everything I can for Australia, as a captain leading from the front and trying to do my job as a batsman.”

While Smith’s ton on Saturday was one of the most painstaking of his career — it is only pipped as his slowest century by the 261-ball effort at the Gabba when he battled a negative leg-side field from England — it was also his eighth Ashes ton, drawing him level with all-time greats Ricky Ponting, Greg Chappell and Arthur Morris.

Should he back up with a further century this series, he’ll clear that legendary trio and leave just Steve Waugh (10 Ashes tons) between him and Bradman for Australians.

Highlighting Smith’s class, he’s done so in just his 40th Ashes innings — while Waugh had 72 to compile his 10 centuries.

Bradman stands clear — as he does by every statistical measure — atop the century-makers, having blasted 19 from his 63 innings.

At just 28, and with potentially another seven years of Test cricket ahead of him, it’s a mark that is no longer out of Smith’s reach.

In just his 30th Test as skipper, Saturday’s was captain Smith’s 15th century — a remarkable record of raising the bat every second Test.

His 15 tons is the third-most by a captain in history, level with Australian greats Allan Border and Steve Waugh, with just South African powerhouse Graeme Smith (25 centuries) and Ponting (19) ahead of him.

Critically, he will now certainly be clear on the ICC Test batting rating — the pure performance indicator, which will be released following the completion of this Test — to officially have the highest peak of any batsman in history not named Bradman.

Following his WACA double century, Smith leapt past Ponting and England great Jack Hobbs — drawing level with Len Hutton.

He delivered again at the MCG with an impressive first-innings half-century and second-innings ton to save the Test and put clear air between himself and Hutton.

But Smith isn’t ready, yet, to acnkowledge his place among the greats of the game.

“Playing this game you can never be satisfied, and never think you’re too good for the game,” he said.

“The game can come back to bite you pretty quickly.”

Smith has been more than a thorn in England’s side this year. He’s been a samurai sword to the ribs — dug in and twisted whenever the tourists have come close to being back in the contest.

“As soon as Australia’s been able to wrestle the momentum back, (Smith) has hung onto it so tightly and not given England a sniff,” former captain Michael Clarke said on Channel Nine.

Added champion Australian captain and opener Mark Taylor: “He’s just got a hunger for runs ... he just wants more.”

King hit

Coach
Made a comment on Facebook about the pitches being a highway because of the AFL and some vics gave me a pasting over it

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
So the selectors thoughts are: Moen Ali has been such a great success this series that we'll select our much worse version of him.

OVP

Coach
Apparently Sydney will be a "mystery pitch"

Yeah. Let me guess ... flat, dry, no pace , no spin and shit like all the others.

Burn in hell James Sutherland.

some11

Referee
Apparently Sydney will be a "mystery pitch"
They're giving the job to someone whos never prepared a test wicket just like in Melbourne?

Give some fans a go with a hose and roller, cant be any worse.

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
Could do a lot worse and recall Nathan Hauritz.

What's he up to these days? Changing tyres at his old man's mechanic's workshop in Tiaro?

TheParraboy

Staff member
Happy new year all :cocktail::beer:

Could do a lot worse and recall Nathan Hauritz.

What's he up to these days? Changing tyres at his old man's mechanic's workshop in Tiaro?

I tell you what, give me Hauritz over Beer and Doherty at the start of the 2010/11 ashes

When Lyon reached the same number of tests as Haurie their records were eerily similar.

Like Lyon I think if they persisted with Hauritz he would have gotten better and better.