What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Iconic Moments on Fox

LeagueXIII

First Grade
I liked the way they just got on with it.
Defensive structures may have been no where near as good, but the tacking was very good.
Sometimes the player was slower on to the ball but the play the ball was fuss free and the scums just happened.

Big difference, there were 26 footballers on the field not 4 or 5

Watching these games the scrums could be packed twice and take a total of 20 secs compared to today where they look like under 6's no skill or technique involved and the players milk the full 30 secs allowed.

And when the ball comes out it will be passed to a big prop like Fifita to charge ahead when once upon a time it would go out to creative players like Kenny and Lyons.

But they tell us the game is better, faster yes but better?

T-Boon

Coach
Also how many times have we seen a big hit change momentum in a game. Even without the shoulder charge, one of the best things about rugby league is the hits. Desperation tackles to save try’s are great to watch, some of the tackles we’ve seen where blokes are stopping people from getting the ball down are incredible and just leave you thinking how the hell did he stop that. And honestly if you can’t appreciate that and just want to focus on wrestling (which honestly isn’t as bad as everyone makes out) then well I dunno

These were features of RL defence pre structure and wrestle (S/W).
In fact pre S/W they were more of a feature and you also had a lot more other exciting things likely to happen in a defensive set. Regular charge downs, half back playing as a sweeper (due to the real risk of chip kicks or line breaks anywhere on the park), raking in the ruck, some random player trying to run up to make something happen.
In this day and age you are far more likely to see your team concede a "what the?" penalty than force something to happen with a skilful play (such as a charge down or intercept).
Some elements of the above are still present to a certain extent but S/W has dulled down D as a spectacle. Thats without even getting into how ugly gang tackling technique have become.
If we don't do something about it the game will get more and more dull and lose more fans.

The_Shield

Juniors
These were features of RL defence pre structure and wrestle (S/W).
In fact pre S/W they were more of a feature and you also had a lot more other exciting things likely to happen in a defensive set. Regular charge downs, half back playing as a sweeper (due to the real risk of chip kicks or line breaks anywhere on the park), raking in the ruck, some random player trying to run up to make something happen.
In this day and age you are far more likely to see your team concede a "what the?" penalty than force something to happen with a skilful play (such as a charge down or intercept).
Some elements of the above are still present to a certain extent but S/W has dulled down D as a spectacle. Thats without even getting into how ugly gang tackling technique have become.
If we don't do something about it the game will get more and more dull and lose more fans.
Your blinded by your hatred of wrestling and structure. All the stuff you mentioned happens in good defensive teams in today’s game. Charge downs are less prevalent but I think that’s more to do with not wanting to give the other team another set of six unnecessarily. Intercepts being fewer I put down to players being smarter with the ball, not throwing as many dumb passes as back in the day, but even still there are plenty of both charge downs and interceptions.

But people rushing out of the defensive line looking for the big play is still very much in the game. Hell just look at the grand final, Cameron Smith (one of the best defenders in the game) races up looking to make a big play and it backfires and it gifted the Cowboys their only try. Look at the 2016 gf, Wade Graham kept taking the time away from Cooper Cronk by rushing out and putting constant pressure on him taking his time away, and while I hated it at the time for obvious reasons, I can appreciate the great work on defence that Graham done.

Defence is not boring, it’s just how you choose to look at it

King hit

Coach
Which is why I’m stumped that Kenny gets left behind in ‘greatest’ lists. Time & again he outplayed Lewis in Origin not too mention multiple tries in consecutive GF’s.
And then Greg Inglis gets tossed up as ‘future immortal’ and I want to put a brick through the TV.

I was at the Broncos leagues club a couple of years ago and i said that Kenny was just as good as Lewis and I got verbally abused for it. And yeah Inglis is overrated. He has great skills but never delivers on them as much and never consistently involves himself.

They showed the Canberra v Easts 87 semi final this morning. The Manly players (who were already into the final) were at the game and the camera cut to them and I swear Noel Cleal was smoking a joint. I mean it could have been a cigarette but the way he was handling it it looked just like a joint. Cliffy was sitting next to him. Great stuff.

Noel, and his older brother Les, were true "country boys" when they came down to the big smoke at the Roosters. When Futon lefdt the Roosters, Noel was one of the p[layers who went with him (Les went back to country footy instead). Noel was very much a roll you own type with his ciggies.

That Canberra v Roosters match was the preliminary final as the Roosters lost to Manly the week before 10-6 to Manly in what was the toughest match of that season's final campaign. It was widely held that hwoever lost that match would be so beat up they'd be cannon fodder for the Raider, which they were. Many held the "real" Grand Final of that year was the Manly v Roosters Major Semi-Final as it was tough, brutal (but legal) with skill being the deciding factor in thaty game.

kbw

Bench
Elias was the key in the 1990 Origin series. Easily best on ground in game 1. Then was also the key in the amazing Test 2, 1990, GB v Aust. He was inevitably Balmain's go to player in the late 80s, early 90s. Great at all levels.

Elias was a great player, played with a lot of passion but also a show pony that got attention when he sometimes didn't deserve it, I think often overrated.
Absolute disgrace of a human being which he seemed to perfect as he got older

Last edited:

SBD82

Coach
Your blinded by your hatred of wrestling and structure. All the stuff you mentioned happens in good defensive teams in today’s game. Charge downs are less prevalent but I think that’s more to do with not wanting to give the other team another set of six unnecessarily. Intercepts being fewer I put down to players being smarter with the ball, not throwing as many dumb passes as back in the day, but even still there are plenty of both charge downs and interceptions.

But people rushing out of the defensive line looking for the big play is still very much in the game. Hell just look at the grand final, Cameron Smith (one of the best defenders in the game) races up looking to make a big play and it backfires and it gifted the Cowboys their only try. Look at the 2016 gf, Wade Graham kept taking the time away from Cooper Cronk by rushing out and putting constant pressure on him taking his time away, and while I hated it at the time for obvious reasons, I can appreciate the great work on defence that Graham done.

Defence is not boring, it’s just how you choose to look at it
While I broadly agree that defense was more entertaining prior to the structure and wrestle, I can sympathize with your point here.

When the dragons won the grand final in 2010, it was off the back of a defensive wall. We were widely criticized for our boring play, but Watching your own team put in that level of commitment was entertaining in its own right as a fan of the team.

Watching an opposing team outwrestle you can be very frustrating though. And I think that's where the boredom largely stems from.

Life's Good

Coach
I was at the Broncos leagues club a couple of years ago and i said that Kenny was just as good as Lewis and I got verbally abused for it. And yeah Inglis is overrated. He has great skills but never delivers on them as much and never consistently involves himself.
I’ll give credit to the ability of the Qld regime to cultivate the ‘greatness’ of their players(deservedly for some, but not all).
For some inexplicable reason this doesn’t seem to happen for NSW players when I think of the likes of Kenny, Clyde, Fittler etc.

Elias was a great player, played with a lot of passion but also a show pony that got attention when he sometimes didn't deserve it, I think often overrated.
Absolute disgrace of a human being which he seemed to perfect as he got older
If you regard winning Test and Origin series as overrated, then hats off to you. Agree he was a grub. But like a Shane Warne, it is immaterial to their greatness as players whether they are likeable.

King hit

Coach
If you regard winning Test and Origin series as overrated, then hats off to you. Agree he was a grub. But like a Shane Warne, it is immaterial to their greatness as players whether they are likeable.

Unrelated but when Andrew Johns was named an immortal so many people went of their nut about it calling it a disgrace etc. Shane Warne did much worse then Johns but everybody seems to think he is a hero and couldn’t care less about his controversies. But Joey is treated differently still.

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
I’ll give credit to the ability of the Qld regime to cultivate the ‘greatness’ of their players(deservedly for some, but not all).
For some inexplicable reason this doesn’t seem to happen for NSW players when I think of the likes of Kenny, Clyde, Fittler etc.
Same with O'Connor and especially Tim Brasher.

At Origin level, Brasher was a freak. A couple of years ago, I saw footage of his highlights and forgot how good he really was.

For QLD supporters information, it didn't go for 30 seconds. It was over an hour's worth that was compiled by a mate of mine who burnt it to DVD. f**ked if I know where it is.

Apey

Staff member

Young Inglis had potential to be the GOAT ballrunner. I think people forget how good he was because he turned into an inconsistent chub. Shouldn't have got fat and gone to Souffs.

Life's Good

Coach
Same with O'Connor and especially Tim Brasher.

At Origin level, Brasher was a freak. A couple of years ago, I saw footage of his highlights and forgot how good he really was.

For QLD supporters information, it didn't go for 30 seconds. It was over an hour's worth that was compiled by a mate of mine who burnt it to DVD. f**ked if I know where it is.

Going to high school in the 80’s in Sydney’s inner west meant we had an affiliation with the Tigers. I still recall Brasher being ‘that player’ my school mates & I were in awe of. Funnily enough he was fresh out of school himself when he burst onto the scene.

axl rose

Bench
Young Inglis had potential to be the GOAT ballrunner. I think people forget how good he was because he turned into an inconsistent chub. Shouldn't have got fat and gone to Souffs.
Lazy, unmotivated. Easy to see that when Bellamy had to cut one of the 'big 4' it was a simple decision.

Suffered from being in a dreadful Balmain side for most of his career. That's why you only got his best in elite company at Origin and Test level. Despite Mullins club form in one the best Raiders/teams of all time, he never played a game at fullback for NSW for a reason.

Last edited: