What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Luciano Leilua

TomRedVRiver

Bench
I really want to see Luciano have a strong pre-season and nail down that starting left edge spot. I've always been of the opinion that Host should start and have Luch come off the bench late in the half... But the more I analyse Luch's game, the more I think he has the highest ceiling of nearly all our forwards.
- 186cms/112kgs
- Taumalolo-like footwork
- ball-skills of a halfback
- Silky flick-pass
- Powerful leg drive
- Played a lot with Dufty, could link up with him really well

Even though Luciano has been playing 80 minutes in NSW Cup, I think he will be far more effective for us if Host comes on to relieve him for 25-30 minutes to keep him fresh. All he needs to do is keep working on that ticker and cut out the errors in his game and he'll be the superstar we desperately need. If Millward is right, and he really has completely turned his effort around, then by the end of the 2018 I think we'll all be saying... "Joel who?"

ViceVersa

Juniors
I can't wait to see him play in the trials now that he's lost all that weight. Less lazy in defence, and just imagine the sweep play inside balls & tackle bust offloads to Dufty/Field next season. He needs as much 1st grade as possible, but I think they'll start Sims with Luch off the bench.

ViceVersa

Juniors
I'm talking about this forum in general. When we were 7-1 last season it was "I apologise about mary" etc. If we won 3 of 6 close games no one would be saying anything. It's depressing how a thread will be about one thing, and then turn to "It's all mary's fault."

Reactions: jak

Dragonslayer

First Grade
This is an interesting topic and that has more consequence now that Thompson has left us.

The big question is, who now plays that edge 2nd row position? For mine we have 3 contenders: Host, Leilua and Sims. Each one has merits to be there but IMO Sims is the most likely to cause the most damage and has a better defensive game than the other 2. However, I feel that McGregor will go with Host, and I really don't have an issue with that.
So, that would give us:
Starting props: Graham and Vaughan
Starting 2nd row: Friz and Host
Hooker: McInnes

Now for the bench:
This is even a bigger question, more than the one above and centres around the #17. Do we play a utility back ie: Mann, Field or even a Herbert? or do we play a further forward ie: Sele, Lawrie, Allgood, Latimore or even young Robson?
The issue here is not in the backs, but is solely on Friz IMO. If he is to be used in bursts, like he was towards the end of last season, then we need to have a further reserve forward as the #17. IMO that has to be Sele. Whilst he is a lock, and that's where he should play, I would bring him on as a lock and move JDB to edge forward for that time. It sures up the defense and adds some attacking options with JDB power and Sele's footwork. It would also add some contingency if one of the props went down.
So, that would make our bench:
Bench props: LAM and Sims
Bench forward: Leilua
#17: Sele

I think this is just a better balance for the team and allows our forwards enough "rest" to recharge rather than suffer the burn-out they did last year. The idea of a bench utility is IMO a waste of time and no-one would benefit from 10 min a game.

jak

Bench
I'm talking about this forum in general. When we were 7-1 last season it was "I apologise about mary" etc. If we won 3 of 6 close games no one would be saying anything. It's depressing how a thread will be about one thing, and then turn to "It's all mary's fault."
spot on.

goggles

Juniors
Ffs... Does every second post in this forum have to spin on how you hate mcgregor? Isn't anyone getting sick of saying the same thing over and over? I'm not fan of his and I see the problems but he isn't going anywhere for the next 2 seasons. Smh
With all due respect VV, no one is saying they hate him, just that he is beyond useless.
For mine it comes down to frustration... We were lucky that Bennett landed in our lap for a few years (and even then we fu*#ed the contract length), but apart from him the board has been beyond woeful with regards to coaching appointments and reappointments. Mary isn't going to get any better, so the same comments are going to be repeated for as long as he is here, and i sure hope it isn't another 2 years.
Just for the record, i never appologised, and would still be saying the same thing if we were lucky enough to have won a few close games - because luck is what it would have been.

ViceVersa

Juniors
With all due respect VV, no one is saying they hate him, just that he is beyond useless.
For mine it comes down to frustration... We were lucky that Bennett landed in our lap for a few years (and even then we fu*#ed the contract length), but apart from him the board has been beyond woeful with regards to coaching appointments and reappointments. Mary isn't going to get any better, so the same comments are going to be repeated for as long as he is here, and i sure hope it isn't another 2 years.
Just for the record, i never appologised, and would still be saying the same thing if we were lucky enough to have won a few close games - because luck is what it would have been.

Trust me, I felt the same way after 2016. I'm still fustrated, but changing the game structure gave me a little hope. I believe it just needs tweaking and a quality halfback and we'll grind out those close games. Mary isn't my first choice coach but he's what we got, and I can't see why we won't improve again in 2018.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
This is an interesting topic and that has more consequence now that Thompson has left us.

The big question is, who now plays that edge 2nd row position? For mine we have 3 contenders: Host, Leilua and Sims. Each one has merits to be there but IMO Sims is the most likely to cause the most damage and has a better defensive game than the other 2. However, I feel that McGregor will go with Host, and I really don't have an issue with that.
So, that would give us:
Starting props: Graham and Vaughan
Starting 2nd row: Friz and Host
Hooker: McInnes

Now for the bench:
This is even a bigger question, more than the one above and centres around the #17. Do we play a utility back ie: Mann, Field or even a Herbert? or do we play a further forward ie: Sele, Lawrie, Allgood, Latimore or even young Robson?
The issue here is not in the backs, but is solely on Friz IMO. If he is to be used in bursts, like he was towards the end of last season, then we need to have a further reserve forward as the #17. IMO that has to be Sele. Whilst he is a lock, and that's where he should play, I would bring him on as a lock and move JDB to edge forward for that time. It sures up the defense and adds some attacking options with JDB power and Sele's footwork. It would also add some contingency if one of the props went down.
So, that would make our bench:
Bench props: LAM and Sims
Bench forward: Leilua
#17: Sele

I think this is just a better balance for the team and allows our forwards enough "rest" to recharge rather than suffer the burn-out they did last year. The idea of a bench utility is IMO a waste of time and no-one would benefit from 10 min a game.

Agree
Dragonslayer with above.
It is how the bench sould be used.
If Mann is in the starting
13 and imo he sould be he can cover the back line from 1 to 7.
He can even play hooker if needed.

BennyV

Referee
I disagree with the OP - I believe that Host has a higher ceiling and will have a longer, more successful career than Luc (nothing against Leilua whatsoever). Host is very much a prototype fora top shelf backrower and given a decent chance (a coach that knew how to plan an attacking play would help) he could rise very, very high.

Leilua is very skillful but with that as his main attribute he becomes very prone to error and over the course of the game, those skills become less effective. He is far better served as an impact player and would benefit greatly from experience being able to play in the middle as well as on the edge.

As for the line up next year - Sims is both our 2nd best edge backrower (after Friz) and our 4th best prop. However, the drop from him to Host on the left edge is far less than the drop form him to whoever our 5th best prop is. He is also more effective in bursts than as a workhorse over the course of the game. For that reason, I'd much prefer Host to start with Sims to play in the prop rotation off the bench (possibly giving Host a breather as he works towards being an 80minute player).

BennyV

Referee
Ffs... Does every second post in this forum have to spin on how you hate mcgregor? Isn't anyone getting sick of saying the same thing over and over? I'm not fan of his and I see the problems but he isn't going anywhere for the next 2 seasons. Smh
Nope. Never get tired of hearing it and IMO people should be mentioning it more. He is the only topic we should have. He is #1 reason behind one of the worst seasons in recent memory (2016), he is the sole reason we missed the finals last year and he is the only thing holding us back from being real premiership contenders over the next 2 years as long as he is in the coaching box. He is representative of everything that is wrong with our club, and literally the #1 thing that is wrong with our team. This needs to be mentioned wherever and whenever possible. Dont like it, dont read it!

watatank

Coach
Leilua might have a high ceiling but he also has a lower floor. I don't think he is ready to be a starter and long minutes player (Host is more equipped for that), he needs to develop consistency there. He is still good enough to make an impact as an interchange forward. That's his way of getting in the team IMO, if he can develop maybe he can be a starter but that's down the road.

Spudd

Juniors
Nope. Never get tired of hearing it and IMO people should be mentioning it more. He is the only topic we should have. He is #1 reason behind one of the worst seasons in recent memory (2016), he is the sole reason we missed the finals last year and he is the only thing holding us back from being real premiership contenders over the next 2 years as long as he is in the coaching box. He is representative of everything that is wrong with our club, and literally the #1 thing that is wrong with our team. This needs to be mentioned wherever and whenever possible. Dont like it, dont read it!
I agree.
McGregor has had a dream run.
The media have left him alone. He deserves a roasting.

WardyRedV

Juniors

Unfortunately this is a forum mate. The thread is about Luciano Leilua, not Paul McGregor. All these threads fall apart after a while because of this mentality. Somebodies trying to have a genuine discussion but the usual suspects derail everything. It’s not effecting his career, it’s only frustrating those which want to read or contribute to genuine discussion about the St George Illawarra Dragons.

Latest posts