What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack mcgregor

"Anyone" is better than mcgegor = WRONG
Belamy, Bennett etc is better than mcgregor = YES
Will it happen - NO
Would we still be thowing tantrums if we won 3 of the 6 close games last year? NO
Will Hunt/Graham help improve this? "Umm... sack mary?"
15 of the 16 FG coaches are better than McGregor not to mention a number of emerging coaching talents such as Demetriou.
Will it happen? Why not?
If results don't eventuate - how many excuses can the club make for this debacle?
Forget about the "what if's" - I can match every one of those with a counter.
Will Hunt/Graham help the team - I hope so but what impact will the loss of Dugan, Packer and Thompson have?

ViceVersa

Juniors
I welcome a different point of view which is what these forums should be all about.
Having said that, you show a serious disconnect with reality.
One of the most pertinent things about McGregor is how he was even appointed in the first place.
A couple of bush premierships and 2 unremarkable years coaching reserve grade are not adequate qualifications that would support his appointment as the St. George Illawarra first grade coach.
By any reasonable, logical and meritorious measure this was an inexplicable appointment which the club could not explain and the fans could never understand.
Basically, McGregor was totally unqualified and ill equipped to take on such a prestigious and important role.
Since his appointment, his short comings have slapped us in the face on a regular basis.
I want to take you to task on your assertion that "We lost 6 games by 6 points or less...etc."
In 2017 we also won 4 games by 6 points or less.
"If only..." is not a way to analyze a season.
Taking your argument further - in 2016 we won 7 games by 6 points or less.
S
o if we had lost those 7 games we would have ended up with the wooden spoon?
And if we had got the wooden spoon in 2016, would the club sacked McGregor and would we have a different coach now?
That is just not reality.
It is also unrealistic to rationalize the "improvements" even though you yourself outlined a number of areas which continue to have big question marks over them.
"don't blame you for throwing more tantrums in 2018"
So you think that the reaction to McGregor's tenure is all about throwing tantrums?
I think it shows that you are searching for positives and clutching at straws.
People on here are upset and annoyed for very good reason.
The original appointment and especially the renewal of McGregor as FG coach is inexplicable.
With regards to 2018.
So we gained Hunt and Graham BUT we lost Dugan, Packer and Thompson.
Widdop is still the captain.
Our draws for 2016 and 2017 were as soft as they come and we still couldn't make the finals.
Slightly different story in 2018 however.
Do you also think the other clubs have been standing around with their arms folded while we have improved our roster and our coaching structures?
You can expect a much harder path to the finals in 2018.
2017 shows a picture of better statistics provided largely by the forwards but with a terrible final outcome.
I think people are just sick of all the McGregor self promotion, excuses and deflections.
They are upset with the club who keeps treating it's fans like dodos.
So the coaching function is still our Achilles heel - no doubt about it.
It doesn't matter who plays half back and who provides game management,
By all means, let's all be optimistic - but not with a lot of confidence.

Mate... That post I did was mostly a larp. Scroll up and the see other other posts. I just wanted to light a little fire in this forum. Is pretty boring sometimes when I come here. Trust me, I know all the problems we have and I know this club needs a clean out. lol Sorry I knew a few would bite.

Mate... That post I did was mostly a larp. Scroll up and the see other other posts. I just wanted to light a little fire in this forum. Is pretty boring sometimes when I come here. Trust me, I know all the problems we have and I know this club needs a clean out. lol Sorry I knew a few would bite.
Didn't notice so sorry if I went overboard.
Raw nerve - can't help but bite sometimes.

ViceVersa

Juniors
15 of the 16 FG coaches are better than McGregor not to mention a number of emerging coaching talents such as Demetriou.
Will it happen? Why not?
If results don't eventuate - how many excuses can the club make for this debacle?
Forget about the "what if's" - I can match every one of those with a counter.
Will Hunt/Graham help the team - I hope so but what impact will the loss of Dugan, Packer and Thompson have?

Lol I just wanted to see what would happen if I 'defended' Mary in the 'Sack mcgregor' thread. I'm just a menace, don't worry about me... Carry on

BennyV

Referee
Hi Wayne,

I was prepared to 'kidnap' him at the end of 2016 (not really) to prevent him from coaching us. Well most of that 2016 game plan did go out the window... And what were you saying when we were 6-1, is it not possible to improve on that going forward. A superchoach or no premiership, I get it. But wake me up when we have one and learn to live without one.
At 6-1, I told the smug Red V Membership guy (who called me up saying 'we are winning now, please re-sign) that I wouldnt be signing up again until the imposter was gone, that the 2015 fall from grace was still very fresh and that there was little to convince me that we'd turned a corner. A number on this forum were equally skeptical.

Thoroughly enjoyed the chest beating and claims that McJetski 'deserved his extension' from some of these window washers though!!

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
Wow, can't believe there's been so much activity on this thread in just the first few days of the new year. Anyone would have thought someone wants the coach out!

If for some unknown reason he ever gets sacked, this forum we be in 'shutdown' mode.
The members will be dancing in the street.
OKB's shares in Dan Murphys will double.
The players will start to play to their potential.
The air will smell fresher & cleaner.
The meaning of life will explain itself................................

Until then, reality is here, Sack McGregor !

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
The difference between Donald Trump and Mary: some people like Donald Trump.

I think Mary is a much better human being than Trump.
Trump is a terd, Mary is probably an alright sort of guy but he’s just not a coach.

As some have mentioned, there are two premiership winning coaches sitting on the sidelines at present...... and our board does squat. Interesting that.

Banjo2014

Juniors
My Goose Brother just sent me the John Laws Milestone - Keeping the Dream Alive

Starts off like this

Keeping the dream alive' is all about hope for the next generation, and the generation after that - our children, our grandchildren, our great-grandchildren.

God I hope my great grandchildren are not on this forum writing SACK MCGREGOR ...

Hope he's gone by then

grouch

First Grade
I saw this sign at a Cleveland Browns fan protest at the end of another horrendous season for them hahaha

I know how they feel

browns5.jpg

Sack McGregor

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
My Goose Brother just sent me the John Laws Milestone - Keeping the Dream Alive

Starts off like this

Keeping the dream alive' is all about hope for the next generation, and the generation after that - our children, our grandchildren, our great-grandchildren.

God I hope my great grandchildren are not on this forum writing SACK MCGREGOR ...

Hope he's gone by then

He’ll be in the Sacked Dragons Coaches Retirement Home based at Tim-Buck-To.

getsmarty

Immortal
Best 17 for St George Illawarra Dragons in 2018: The Red V’s biggest question mark
Dragons
OTEyMDE4M3xjeG8uY3xodHRwczovL21lZGlhLmZveHNwb3J0cy5jb20uYXUvYXJ0aWNsZS9oZWFkc2hvdHMvam9obl9kZWFuLmpwZ3w5MTIwMTgz

OTEyMDE4M3xjeG8uY3xodHRwczovL2Nkbi5uZXdzYXBpLmNvbS5hdS9pbWFnZS92MS8xOWJlY2ExNWQxN2Q3MTBkMjZhN2RiNTE2OGEwNDFiOXw5MTIwMTgz

Dragons coach Paul McGregor. Picture: Mark EvansSource: News Corp Australia
ST GEORGE Illawarra have brought in two big names to help boost their premiership hopes for 2018 and beyond, but there is still one big question mark lingering over their line-up ahead of the new season.
The halfback headache has been solved with the arrival of Ben Hunt, and the hole left by Russell Packer has been filled by England international James Graham, but it’s what coach Paul McGregor will do with the fullback position that is the team’s biggest selection call.

Pocket rocket Matt Dufty was handed his NRL debut in round 20 last season and played out the year in the position.

Boasting plenty of pace, agility and ball skills, Dufty is considered the frontrunner for the No.1 jersey in 2018 following the departure of Josh Dugan.

OTEyMDE4M3xjeG8uY3xodHRwczovL2Nkbi5uZXdzYXBpLmNvbS5hdS9pbWFnZS92MS9mMGZmMDNiOTU2NjU5ZDQxYWUwNmJkYTliZDMyNWE2N3w5MTIwMTgz
Matt Dufty in action. Picture: Brett CostelloSource: News Corp Australia

With a relatively small frame, there could be some concerns over whether the 21-year-old can handle a full season of first grade football.

It’s a question that needs to be answered sooner rather than later, with a settled spine crucial come September and uncertainty over a position as crucial as fullback a potential top four banana skin.

McGregor isn’t short of options for the position should Dufty struggle, with Kurt Mann putting his hand up for the role, along with rising star Zac Lomax.

Speedster Jai Field is also a contender, but needs to bulk up in order to handle the demands of week-to-week NRL.

Another real possibility could be the shifting of Gareth Widdop who starred at fullback for England during the World Cup.

McGregor has already hinted the captain would be staying put in the halves in 2018, but as we all know, the NRL season is a long one.

Over the next month, foxsports.com.au will be previewing your team’s best 17.

As always, there will be some contentious decisions — and some unlucky omissions.

Scroll down and leave a comment to have your say.

NB: These line ups don’t take into account current injuries (unless they’re season ending) or suspensions.

THE LOCK

Paul Vaughan — The big bopper is coming off his best NRL season to date and the Dragons will need him to keep producing the goods. Vaughan averaged 14.2 runs and 137 metres per game in 2017 — both career highs. He also busted an impressive 55 tackles and made 10 linebreaks, proving he was a hard man to pull down. The Italian international will no doubt only continue to thrive alongside experienced recruit James Graham.

OTEyMDE4M3xjeG8uY3xodHRwczovL2Nkbi5uZXdzYXBpLmNvbS5hdS9pbWFnZS92MS9iYzNlNDYxNTYyNDhiODU1ZTg0YWE3MDNjZTlhNmIwYXw5MTIwMTgz

Paul Vaughan is tackled. Picture: Brett CostelloSource: News Corp Australia
THE BUBBLE

Nene Macdonald — The PNG international provided plenty of quality dummy half runs in his first season at the Dragons in 2017, but continued to struggle under the high ball. Should inconsistency continue to plague him, the club have a number of talented young backs coming up through the ranks in Patrick Herbert, Reuben Garrick and Lomax.

THE RISING STAR

Luciano Leilua — Fans were surprised the talented young forward didn’t see any first grade football in 2017 after making his debut late the previous season. Instead the 21-year-old plied his trade in the Intrust Super Premiership where he was named Illawarra’s player of the year. Leilua recently re-signed with the Red V until 2020, and the coaching staff are expecting big things from him after impressing at pre-season training.

OTEyMDE4M3xjeG8uY3xodHRwczovL2Nkbi5uZXdzYXBpLmNvbS5hdS9pbWFnZS92MS82YjQ1ODE3NmJhOTI4ZGM5MDEwMjlhNGYxN2Y4YzExM3w5MTIwMTgz

Luciano Leilua during training at WIN Stadium, Wollongong. Picture: Brett CostelloSource: News Corp Australia
IT’S A BIG YEAR FOR ...

Ben Hunt — One of 2018’s biggest signings, all eyes will be on the Dragons’ marquee No.7. The Red V struggled to find a quality halves partner for Gareth Widdop for many years, but finally secured their man in Hunt who arrives at the club on a $6 million, five-year deal with an option. With that price tag comes plenty of pressure and expectation, and all club stakeholders will be hoping he can take them deep into September.

THE BEST 17

1. Matt Dufty

2. Jason Nightingale

3. Euan Aitken

4. Tim Lafai

5. Nene Macdonald

6. Gareth Widdop

7. Ben Hunt

8. Paul Vaughan

9. Cameron McInnes

10. James Graham

11. Tyson Frizell

12. Tariq Sims

13. Jack De Belin

14. Kurt Mann

15. Leeson Ah Mau

16. Jacob Host

17. Luciano Leilua

OTHERS: Darren Nicholls, Jai Field, Jordan Pereira, Patrick Herbert, Reuben Garrick, Steven Marsters, Tristan Sailor, Zac Lomax, Blake Lawrie, Hame Sele, Jackson Ford, Jeremy Latimore, Josh Kerr, Mitchell Allgood, Reece Robson.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...k/news-story/baf749bd3258ca93391ab634184d2031

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
Before the forum downtime period starts I want to ensure this is the top thread again

Sack McGregor

I concur.
I’d like to move a motion for those in favour, say, aye!
The ayes have it!
Order, order....... would the honourable member for Grouch please ensure this post remains at the fore of our topics!

Banjo2014

Juniors
Oh how I wish this was the story in today's papers

It will be remembered as a pivotal day in St George history. The St George public has left the board in no doubt. The support for the removal of Paul McGregor is clear. The focus is now well and truly on the Board, where debate over McGregor's future will begin in earnest tomorrow.

71saintsimon

Juniors
The question mark is not who the coach will play at fullback. The question mark is the damn coach

Sack him
Exactly right sack him his useless the writing is on the wall he will fail again and again and again he wil pick McDonald and lafai nightingale over the young up and comers like jai field , Tristan sailor , Zac lomax and they wil be forced to leave like jack bird did , sack McGregor

Crush

Coach
Exactly right sack him his useless the writing is on the wall he will fail again and again and again he wil pick McDonald and lafai nightingale over the young up and comers like jai field , Tristan sailor , Zac lomax and they wil be forced to leave like jack bird did , sack McGregor
So you would have jai field, tristan sailor and lomax all playing ahead of Macdonald, lafai and nighty?
Funny stuff.