What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MCG Pitches

Timbo

Staff member
What crowd do you propose before they move?

You would lose tens of thousands if you move it to a smaller venue. Yup that's what test cricket needs

Doubt it will be moved anytime soon, stays where it is

Yes, that was my point.

The only reason to keep cricket at the MCG is the crowd on Boxing Day.

2 weeks

Coach
Warnie floating the Day/Night option for the MCG.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/c...a/news-story/4c374b09bed0ce335a919d5cd45fb4dc

Two of the past four MCG Tests have been draws, so if pitches continue to be produced like this then it’s worth considering a day/night Boxing Day Test.

More than 260,000 people attended the Test and you have to give the fans entertainment.

Maybe next year’s Test against India could be a day-nighter. We want that to be a great game.

some11

Referee

Get a load of this shit, how unprofessional are CA and the MCC allowing someone who has never prepared a test wicket before to handle the biggest test on the calendar.

Last edited:

hineyrulz

Post Whore

Get a load of this shit, how unprofessional are CA and the MCC allowing someone who has never prepared a test wicket before to handle the biggest test on the calendar.
Helluva poor decision by the CA brass.

They had a quality year in 2017 but the crowds will be good and they will get a nice bump in the TV deal and people will go back to not caring how clueless and poor at their jobs they really are.

Timbo

Staff member
Bloody hell.

How many will Kohli rack up next year? The worst thing is it'll be deliberate - CA cares more about the TV rights to India than they care about Australian cricket fans.

Kohli will score 500 and they'll call it a good wicket.

Iafeta

Referee
Got a poor rating. Richly deserved. It was a horrible wicket. Unprofessional organisation, can't believe how they had no tough bloke in charge of the preparation

It's an epidemic going around world cricket though. There's a lack of diversity in cricket wickets. Remember when the SCG would break up and turn? And the WACA was super quick? You had to be a batsman with a variety of skills to cope. Now it's stick your front plodder down the wicket and whack across the line.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
The pitch used for the Boxing Day Test between Australia and England in Melbourne has been rated as "poor" by the International Cricket Council.

Only 24 wickets fell over the five days of the drawn fourth Ashes Test.

"The bounce of the MCG pitch was medium, but slow in pace and got slower as the match progressed," read match referee Ranjan Madugalle's report.

"The nature of the pitch did not change over the five days and there was no natural deterioration."

Australia scored 327 and 263-4 declared at the Melbourne Cricket Ground, either side of England's 491.

After the match, Australia captain Steve Smith said: "It was probably the flattest wicket I have played on. If we played for the next two days it wouldn't change."

Cricket Australia has 14 days to provide a response.

The rating given to the MCG pitch is the last handed out to a Test ground before the ICC switches to a new system in time for the fifth Ashes Test in Sydney, which begins at 23:30 GMT on Wednesday.

In the new process, if a pitch or outfield is substandard, a venue can be awarded demerit points, which accumulate over a five-year period.

If a venue gains five demerit points, it will be barred from hosting international cricket for 12 months, while 10 points would result in a two-year suspension.

Australia had already won the Ashes, holding a 3-0 lead before the match at the MCG.

LINK

Ban the ground until the Victorians leave the CRICKET ground alone.

jargan83

Coach
“Clearly with these drop-in pitches, I think they are some of the first to be installed there, we’re still learning about the technology,” Dodemaide told ABC Grandstand.

The MCG has been using a drop in since the early 90's anbd they're "still learning about the technology"? What a load of wank.

So many excuses for this shit hole of a city.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
The MCG has been using a drop in since the early 90's anbd they're "still learning about the technology"? What a load of wank.

So many excuses for this shit hole of a city.
From what I saw of the pitch the technology was fairly simple: 1 part cement, 2 parts sand, 3 parts gravel, add water

Timbo

Staff member
A new ICC policy is in place as of January 1 - if a ground receives 5 demerit points in 5 years, the ground is banned from hosting internationals for 12 months.

A 'poor' wicket is worth 3 demerits.

f**k me it'd be delicious if the MCG lost the Boxing Day test.

Bazal

Post Whore
A new ICC policy is in place as of January 1 - if a ground receives 5 demerit points in 5 years, the ground is banned from hosting internationals for 12 months.

A 'poor' wicket is worth 3 demerits.

f**k me it'd be delicious if the MCG lost the Boxing Day test.

At the very least it might force CA to stop pandering to the AFL

Pete Cash

Post Whore
It missed out on being slugged 3 points by a matter of days.

I hope cricket australia take this as a kick up the arse. Losing the mcg or the scg for a year would be a disaster financially

JJ

Immortal
Bloody hell.

How many will Kohli rack up next year? The worst thing is it'll be deliberate - CA cares more about the TV rights to India than they care about Australian cricket fans.

Kohli will score 500 and they'll call it a good wicket.
Sure, but if Kohli gets 500 Smith will likely get 600, and a road combined with the series being over means Davey will get a thrilling run a ball century so you'll be fine

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Sure, but if Kohli gets 500 Smith will likely get 600, and a road combined with the series being over means Davey will get a thrilling run a ball century so you'll be fine
And you’ll be watching Tennis instead.........

Reactions: JJ

JJ

Immortal
And you’ll be watching Tennis instead.........
Not usually on Boxing Day, but if the MCG wicket (and the WACA one) are the same again, I am not sure I'll bother watching cricket - players making big scores on roads and sycophantic commentators self saucing about how great the batters are isn't really why I like cricket

Latest posts