What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ODI Series- NZL v WI

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
gee Munro can hit a ball, damn good eye

I wonder just how fast Cotterill could bowl if he wasn't so fat

Iafeta

Referee
I like Sheldon Cotterill. Munro gave him some tap but generally he's the one bloke you can rely on for a bit of zip. I'm not sure why he couldn't be considered for test cricket tbh.

Iafeta

Referee
He certainly has a lot more shots than G Worker and is dynamite in the field. With 2 starring games on tv back to back - his stock value is deservingly increasing.

Solia got an early fail but took a great catch. Hopefully see more of him on TV.

I think though a bloke who uses the pace and generally plays it late can be quite a good player. I think Worker is a good work in progress excuse the obvious pun.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
I think though a bloke who uses the pace and generally plays it late can be quite a good player. I think Worker is a good work in progress excuse the obvious pun.

I think a bloke who only plays square or behind is easy for SA, Ireland and Bangladesh to stifle the NZ run rate with.

I aint seen Worker improve internationally since 2015 - I just saw weak WI tactics permit him get a 2nd 50 vs them.

Starc and Hazlewood won't give that to him with their stump aggressive tactics. I doubt Ireland, Banga or Safrica now will in a hurry neither.

Last edited:

JJ

Immortal
Hey Ifaeta - did u catch Chapman's ton today for Auckland? He managed 6 6s at Hagley. Outshone Niccolls and Latham.
Chapman is a good talent - Phillips is far and away the pick of the young players though

Outshining Nicholls isn't a big wrap though LOL

Having watched them a lot, I reckon Ben Horne is a better bet than Solia, and Shaun Hicks who's just moved away from Auckland.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Chapman is a good talent - Phillips is far and away the pick of the young players though

Outshining Nicholls isn't a big wrap though LOL

Having watched them a lot, I reckon Ben Horne is a better bet than Solia, and Shaun Hicks who's just moved away from Auckland.

Yeah - I recall you hoping big things for Hicks. Strong lad - just not happening. He's barely bowling now and mostly just batting. I saw him make a 50. Fairly robust stroke player in a S Watson type mould.

I'm surprised the length of the opportunities given to Niccolls in all 3 formats when the likes of Bruce and Chapman have not been extended them.

I won't be surprised if Phillips falls off the national selectors radar in a couple of years and Chapman is in the team. Not saying you're wrong, but Chapman's white ball numbers for Auckland are immense with avg over 50 in LA and 35 in T20 at 160+.

Whereas Phillips has to navigate his way with Latham, Blundell and Seifert. The odds are stacked against him. Esp with Ben Horne keeping for Auckland.

Solia is only just back from injury - but I'm hopeful that like Chapman he will have a second stellar season and get further NZA or better recognition from the selectors in due course.

Last edited:

JJ

Immortal
Yeah - I recall you hoping big things for Hicks. Strong lad - just not happening. He's barely bowling now and mostly just batting. I saw him make a 50. Fairly robust stroke player in a S Watson type mould.

I'm surprised the length of the opportunities given to Niccolls in all 3 formats when the likes of Bruce and Chapman have not been extended them.

I won't be surprised if Phillips falls off the national selectors radar in a couple of years and Chapman is in the team. Not saying you're wrong, but Chapman's white ball numbers for Auckland are immense with avg over 50 in LA and 35 in T20 at 160+.

Whereas Phillips has to navigate his way with Latham, Blundell and Seifert. The odds are stacked against him. Esp with Ben Horne keeping for Auckland.

Solia is only just back from injury - but I'm hopeful that like Chapman he will have a second stellar season and get further NZA or better recognition from the selectors in due course.

I'm going from watching them at schoolboy level - that doesn't always translate - but Phillips was phenomenal, his keeping's a second bow, he is better than the rest with the bat, just needs to work on selection at times - he's the youngest too, by a few years *just turned 21) - Chapman and Horne were in the Kings system - not sure whether Phillips' future is as a keeper, he could be a Warner type, or McCullum - obviously needs more first class experience, but even there he's had a good start

Bazal

Post Whore
How long before one of these munted merkins in a stupid orange shirt poleaxes someone and the organisers have to fork out rather a lot more than 50k?

ANTiLAG

First Grade
How long before one of these munted merkins in a stupid orange shirt poleaxes someone and the organisers have to fork out rather a lot more than 50k?

NZ has ACC before any vicarious liability claim for munted merkins is attempted, let alone volenti defences. Punitive damages in negligence is under 50k anyway.

Bazal

Post Whore
NZ has ACC before any vicarious liability claim for munted merkins is attempted. Punitive damages in negligence is under 50k anyway.

I'm not a Kiwi, but isn't that for no fault claims?

Not sure being squashed by a drunk bald New Zealander chasing a prize in an organised competition falls under no fault. Either way, it seems a pretty stupid contest to me.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
I'm not a Kiwi, but isn't that for no fault claims?

Not sure being squashed by a drunk bald New Zealander chasing a prize in an organised competition falls under no fault. Either way, it seems a pretty stupid contest to me.

Its not no fault only. Its a bar on individuals seeking compensation for losses caused for any accidents where there is physical bodily injury. The ACC fund compensates the losses for any and all accidents. Its like a nationwide insurer. Fault or no fault all combined.

But given all the rugby,rugby league, and soccer claims - this comp is in little danger of denting ACC.

More danger from bring shut down by Public Safety complaints to be honest, if at all.

Last edited:

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Tidy lil 243 here by NZ.

Lets see Boulty bowl boomerangs under lights and finish this off.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
WI 1 run 2 wickets down incl at end of 1st over.

Seems like game over now unless Braithwaite or someone surprises with a 100.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Bracewell is off injured without bowling a ball.

WI 37/2 after 3 overs.

1 handed crowd catch taken - but not wearing a tui shirt.

WI fighting?

Iafeta

Referee
So.... are we finally accepting this Munro chap can bat and isn't just an Eden Park #2 bully? Fair dinkum, the lad averages 50 in first class cricket and in some people's eyes he's infected with hives.

That said this West Indies team is an abominable disgrace. Pakistan will be a much much stronger proposition. How on earth do the West Indies become relevant again? Them, Sri Lanka and Zimbabwe are in massive jeopardy of being well and truly overtaken and left for dead by Bangladesh, Ireland and Afghanistan. I don't know if many saw Zimbabwes batting in the four day test, it was nothing short of pathetic

ANTiLAG

First Grade
So.... are we finally accepting this Munro chap can bat and isn't just an Eden Park #2 bully? Fair dinkum, the lad averages 50 in first class cricket and in some people's eyes he's infected with hives.

That said this West Indies team is an abominable disgrace. Pakistan will be a much much stronger proposition. How on earth do the West Indies become relevant again? Them, Sri Lanka and Zimbabwe are in massive jeopardy of being well and truly overtaken and left for dead by Bangladesh, Ireland and Afghanistan. I don't know if many saw Zimbabwes batting in the four day test, it was nothing short of pathetic

SL will play Straya soon and get some more points. They won T20 in Aus last year and beat them in tests at home. They also just beat Pakistan in tests in UAE - don't judge them solely with their India games where tgey have been pathetic. They also chased India's big score down in Champs trophy pool game.

I think Ireland is going backwards but I agree Bangladesh and Afghanistan are on the up. More so - they're good to watch and have genuine intl stars.

Zimbo will take some time to rebuild but they may post Mugabe achieve this again. Taylor's back - maybe they can start keeping more talent and developing it instead of feeding England (and CDG to NZ).

Last edited:

JJ

Immortal
Iafeta, you bemoan Khawaja and his footwork, Munro has club feet too

He's making every post a winner but I suspect quality bowling in tests will be an issue, love to see him do well against the Pakis

Better option than Nicholls in the test team though, no mistake

Latest posts