What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ODI Series- NZL v WI

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Iafeta, you bemoan Khawaja and his footwork, Munro has club feet too

He's making every post a winner but I suspect quality bowling in tests will be an issue, love to see him do well against the Pakis

Better option than Nicholls in the test team though, no mistake

The Manu "Hunch n Crunch", if its going long on vs seamer - he aint got enough of it cos cow corner's his spot.

ABDV has limited foot movement - and he's admired by many incl our own discerning KW who has borrowed some of his shots.

But Manu and ABDV are not troubled by spin the way Khawaja is - for Khawaja I think the criticism is to improve.

Agree with JJ that batsmen don't need to be batting with footwork like Michael Flatley, results matter more than textbook style, and have done since at least Viv planted his front foot outside off and swung his club to the on side, again and again and again.

Sometimes I really don't get Amla's footwork not matching his shot selection, seemingly making shot execution more difficult, and he seems to ungainly waft a deflection or shovel the ball awkwardly but to open spaces. But he makes huge runs again and again, so its not an issue for him. And opposition captains in odi still aint containing him.

Last edited:

JJ

Immortal
Probably not, but obviously a smidgen more explosive

Every test batsman has deficiencies that can be exploited - even Smith - just for him it's probably then about the conditions, and he seems incredibly adaptive

I'm not a Munro fan boy, and think top quality bowling will figure him out - but that said we have Nicholls and Santner at 5 and 6 in our test lineup - he's better than both of them combined

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Probably not, but obviously a smidgen more explosive

Every test batsman has deficiencies that can be exploited - even Smith - just for him it's probably then about the conditions, and he seems incredibly adaptive

I'm not a Munro fan boy, and think top quality bowling will figure him out - but that said we have Nicholls and Santner at 5 and 6 in our test lineup - he's better than both of them combined

The way to contain Munro in tests I suspect will be to set odi fields with long on back, (forget about mid wicket - he'll go aerial and clear it), square leg or sweeper, fine leg, third man, offside sweeper and long off. But will captains set that field immediately? And how would now test only bowlers like Anderson and Broad react to a guy who decides to go for 20 runs in his first over. Will they still try to hit the top of off stump or will they falter and bowl shorter and wider?

I'm not a Munro fan boy as such, but as the only batsman to score over 3000 runs in NZ domestic at over 50 besides MD Crowe, he deserves his chance.

The fly in his ointment is the better bowling of CDG as Hess wanted Munro to bowl his way into the test team. Yet somehow Niccolls has a mortgage on the #5 spot.

Santner's test spot is under increased pressure from Tastle. Santner will keep him at bay in limited overs I suspect, but Tastle has to be aiming for that test spot.

Last edited: