What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mcgregor watch this!

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Correction: the 1979 grand final side would tear Melbourne a 'new one'.

Wash your mouth out with soap.
Nope. The game has progressed significantly..

Size, fitness, skills..

Nostalgia is great (still not as good as it used to be) but let’s be honest, if McGregor trained us to play like a 1970’s team we’d get lapped..

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
s-l300.jpg

kit66

Bench
I need a neck brace just watching those scrums.

Groundkeeping has come a long way since 79.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Something that really rams home how much the game has changed;
Mitchell Pearce is taller and heavier than his father was.

Think about that for a moment.
i guess he has been more of a deadweight on his team than his dad ever was...

I'm sure I'm the new guy putting myself up for the slating here, but...I might be one the of few who actually has a bit of faith in Mary.

To be fair the guy is like 50% of our supporter base, he was a hardcore Steeler (and captain) and he bought into the merger and quickly became a very passionate and loyal Dragon, in '99 (and some before) we were all chanting his praises. I think it's very easy to look at whats infront of us and say he's doing an average job but the mess he had to clean up, and also put up with, from that knobber Steve Price, as well as putting up with his recruits in Benji, Dugan etc while all the while we're after his head, it wouldn't be an easy ask for anyone. Even Bennett said that he found us in good shape after Nathan Brown. I doubt Mary had the same to say.

I have faith in him this year. We've got a good team, great line up and 3 seasons experienced into the job. He'll have us ready come round 1.

However, in saying that, this season he needs to step up and prove his worth as a coach and as a team. With an Aussie and QLD No.7, UK No.6 running the plays behind one of the best forward packs we've had in a very long time, we should be right in the mix. If we get our backs firing we'll be a force.

Reactions: jak
:arrow_up_small::arrow_up_small: welcome Sean O'Connor!!
At least Steve Price has 2 premiership titles to his name as an Assistant Coach & secured a head coaching position in the U.K. with Warrington without having to use the old boys mates card!

Steve Price is the worst thing that has happened to the club during the JV years, he was a disgrace.
How on earth do you take a club that had all the silverware there is to win in their trophy cabinet and turn them into wooden spoon favourites within one year?! I'm sorry, but that man was a blight on our team. I think calling him an assistant coach is way to complimentary for the glorified water boy that he was.

As for not having the old mates card, he played for St.George in the Super League era, so he was well and truely in the boys club to get the head coaching job and before we forget, 2015 Mary got us into the 8 with not a great team. I'm not saying that Mary's the greatest coach to ever live, far from it, but I think he's flaws are just due to the system he's been graded under, thrown in and try to swim, just like Nathan Brown was. Only difference is, Browny at least had some good coaches in his day as a player and was trainer for Origin under Gus, Mary had the likes of Andrew Farrah as a coach and Loz for Origin. What was Prices excuse?

Coffs dragon

Bench
Steve Price is the worst thing that has happened to the club during the JV years, he was a disgrace.
How on earth do you take a club that had all the silverware there is to win in their trophy cabinet and turn them into wooden spoon favourites within one year?! I'm sorry, but that man was a blight on our team. I think calling him an assistant coach is way to complimentary for the glorified water boy that he was.

As for not having the old mates card, he played for St.George in the Super League era, so he was well and truely in the boys club to get the head coaching job and before we forget, 2015 Mary got us into the 8 with not a great team. I'm not saying that Mary's the greatest coach to ever live, far from it, but I think he's flaws are just due to the system he's been graded under, thrown in and try to swim, just like Nathan Brown was. Only difference is, Browny at least had some good coaches in his day as a player and was trainer for Origin under Gus, Mary had the likes of Andrew Farrah as a coach and Loz for Origin. What was Prices excuse?
I agree that Steve Price was a dud head coach for the Dragons NRL, however he did also win a Jersey Flegg premiership as coach along with his 2 others as an NRL assistant. IMO he was appointed well before his time much like Brownie plus Craig Young's woeful Recruitment also contributed to Prices downfall. Sometimes in life you can be a great Number 2 man and struggle to lead as the #1.... that could be Price!!
BTW I still rate Craig Young, Steve Price and Paul McGregor as equally the 3 worst coaches I've seen in Dragonworld.
Unfortunately Mary has no silverware during his time as a "Waterboy" and was the 1st staff member flicked by Bennett.

Last edited:

kit66

Bench
Mary doesn't need to watch games from 1979, he needs to watch some of the better recent defensive efforts of the modern teams. Dragons 2010 or Melbourne 2017 for example.
I just watched on Youtube the highlights of our first 12 games last year. We played some great footy, some outstanding attack and were top 4 material, for which you must give the credit to Mary. We lost Widdop for a bit and a few other hiccups and we went out with a whimper. In those first 12 games I saw just the one try scored under our posts, the rest were out wide and most of those by wingers in the corners. The games we lost, we lost out wide. You know where I'm going because you saw it all unfold yourselves, we had a huge problem and Mary had no answer. And we'll be without he of the miraculous try saves, Dugan this year too.
Our wingers and centres need to be completely re-schooled in defence and structures that work. How many times were they caught out last year - every game. Who's our defensive coach - is it Dean Young, whoever it is we need someone else in that role because Mary and Co. are part of the problem. Mary has us firing in attack, for which I'm grateful but he needs help with our defence. If we fix that we'll be top 4 for sure.

Mary doesn't need to watch games from 1979, he needs to watch some of the better recent defensive efforts of the modern teams. Dragons 2010 or Melbourne 2017 for example.
I just watched on Youtube the highlights of our first 12 games last year. We played some great footy, some outstanding attack and were top 4 material, for which you must give the credit to Mary. We lost Widdop for a bit and a few other hiccups and we went out with a whimper. In those first 12 games I saw just the one try scored under our posts, the rest were out wide and most of those by wingers in the corners. The games we lost, we lost out wide. You know where I'm going because you saw it all unfold yourselves, we had a huge problem and Mary had no answer. And we'll be without he of the miraculous try saves, Dugan this year too.
Our wingers and centres need to be completely re-schooled in defence and structures that work. How many times were they caught out last year - every game. Who's our defensive coach - is it Dean Young, whoever it is we need someone else in that role because Mary and Co. are part of the problem. Mary has us firing in attack, for which I'm grateful but he needs help with our defence. If we fix that we'll be top 4 for sure.

The missing link to our success is a first class coaching group.

When the crap hit the fan this season, the coaching staff failed the team at every level.

A quality coaching group would have seen the team play finals footy.

No adjustments in defence out wide.

No attempt to address the lack of speed out wide.

No willingness to promote players when FG players failed to meet FG standard.

We ran the forward pack in to the ground senselessly, with zero bench rotation.

Until the coaching group improves, a very good FG squad will under perform.

Latest posts