What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Combined Ashes XI

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Another pasting almost done and dusted. Who would make a combined XI? I say:

Warner
Cook
Khawaja
Smith
SMarsh
Malan
Paine
Cummins
Starc
Hazelwood
Lyon

Malan just over MMarsh.
Paine just over Bairstow, a better keeping performance although I'm not convinced about Paine's batting.

Pretty slim pickings for the poms.

Blade23

Juniors

Warner
Cook
Khawaja
Smith
SMarsh
Malan
Paine
Cummins
Starc
Hazelwood
Lyon

Malan just over MMarsh.
Paine just over Bairstow, a better keeping performance although I'm not convinced about Paine's batting.

I would mostly agree with that. Bancroft has been a disappointment. Cook over him.
Malan has done well to score against our bowlers where MMarsh has face some inferior bowling at times and cashed in.Malan is probably the only pom that can hold his head up high.
I would go Bairstow over Paine. His keeping hasn't been too bad and he did played well to score his century. He might have had a few fifties in the series if he was batting higher earlier.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
yeh, not much between Bairstow and Payne but Payne hasn't really had to do too much

he is pretty capable with the bat but hasn't been needed too much

TheParraboy

Staff member

Warner
Cook
Khawaja
Smith
SMarsh
Malan
Paine
Cummins
Starc
Hazelwood
Lyon

Malan just over MMarsh.

Id go Bairstow over Paine, other than that about right
8 aussie players, 3 Poms
MMarsh 12th man

JJ

Immortal
Bairstow > Paine

I guess Anderson could be 12th man, he's had an honest series, think he averaged about 27 similar to Hazelwood and Cummins? Could mount an argument for a spot for him in the 11, but he's not popular around these parts...

Not sure Khawaja and Cook deserve spots either - but reflective of how poor the Poms have been... Maybe Root in for one of them, and MMarsh for the other - I thought Aust would win but not that the Marsh's would be next best behind Smith LOL

Bit creative

Warner
S Marsh
Root (while pretty dire, more consistent than Khawaja and Cook, perhaps - or Khawaja)
Smith
Malan
M Marsh
Bairstow
Cummins
Starc
Hazelwood
Lyon

Anderson 12th