What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Big Bash League 2017/18

This season has seen a lack of quality imports / big names.

But this summer has plenty of international cricket going on too which is probably why there aren't as many Kiwis, Windies or Saffas over here.

There definitely is a lack of big name imports this season. Outside of McCullum and a couple of the guys in the Melbourne teams, the imports are relatively unknown to people who don't follow the game super closely, or just follow the Aus team. Maybe one of the two imports teams get should be cap exempt, which would allow teams to get in a superstar player without having to kill the rest of their squad.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
There definitely is a lack of big name imports this season. Outside of McCullum and a couple of the guys in the Melbourne teams, the imports are relatively unknown to people who don't follow the game super closely, or just follow the Aus team. Maybe one of the two imports teams get should be cap exempt, which would allow teams to get in a superstar player without having to kill the rest of their squad.

Lack of big name imports?

There's a lack of big names.

Its not just ABDV, Gayle and Malinga missing.

It missing Warne, Hussey and a lot of batsmen.

Even if you increase the quota'd imports, its gonna remain a weak comp due to clashing with Aus, SA and NZ intls plus the salary is too small to entice Indian players even if not touring.

8 teams is too many. The IPL did 8 with 4 imports (only clashing with England) and all intls.Aus is trying to do 8 with 2 imports and no intls and clashing with SA and NZ. No wonder Aus is 7th in t20.

Enjoy the BBL forvwhat it is, just don't be fooled by the standard of play. Warner is one of the best t20 batsmen to grace the planet - but most of the batting in the BBL is ordinary. Very very ordinary.

Last edited:

TheParraboy

Staff member
Stuns me really why no franchise over the years hasn't signed up Dwayne "Sluggo" Leverock, would have been a sensation....

Lack of big name imports?

There's a lack of big names.

Its not just ABDV, Gayle and Malinga missing.

It missing Warne, Hussey and a lot of batsmen.

Even if you increase the quota'd imports, its gonna remain a weak comp due to clashing with Aus, SA and NZ intls plus the salary is too small to entice Indian players even if not touring.

8 teams is too many. The IPL did 8 with 4 imports (only clashing with England) and all intls.Aus is trying to do 8 with 2 imports and no intls and clashing with SA and NZ. No wonder Aus is 7th in t20.

Enjoy the BBL forvwhat it is, just don't be fooled by the standard of play. Warner is one of the best t20 batsmen to grace the planet - but most of the batting in the BBL is ordinary. Very very ordinary.

You're never going to get the top Aussie players whilst it is played concurrently with the national team. There are also not a plethora of big names who have recently retired from internationals but willing to play this. Johnson & Watto are there, but that's really it. The Warne, Hussey, Gilly, Punter, Lee, Clarke contingent are either too old or just not interested in playing.

If you let clubs have an international cap free you may be able to entice a big name from India to come down, even someone at the end of their career. A lot of the international players are very good players, but they just aren't names (which gets people excited). I do agree there are probably too many teams, the Sixers line up is dire, although there's some good players at the Stars and they are winless as well, which has to say something for some of the other sides.

Bazal

Post Whore
You're never going to get the top Aussie players whilst it is played concurrently with the national team. There are also not a plethora of big names who have recently retired from internationals but willing to play this. Johnson & Watto are there, but that's really it. The Warne, Hussey, Gilly, Punter, Lee, Clarke contingent are either too old or just not interested in playing.

If you let clubs have an international cap free you may be able to entice a big name from India to come down, even someone at the end of their career. A lot of the international players are very good players, but they just aren't names (which gets people excited). I do agree there are probably too many teams, the Sixers line up is dire, although there's some good players at the Stars and they are winless as well, which has to say something for some of the other sides.

I think this is kind of looking at it the wrong way. Who cares about enticing Indian players? They'll come if the competition is worth their time.

I think they should up the quota by one, but teams should be targeting the guys like Jofra Archer or Rashid Khan. I reckon teams want big names, and that's understandable, but you bring a guy like Archer or Khan or Nabi out you're bringing quality players of the future who will stick around.

I don't think the quality of imports is that bad personally. Archer, Khan, Nabi, McCullum, Yasir Shah, Dwayne Bravo, Carlos Brathwaite just signed with the Sixers...all good players and some potential cult heroes, which is better for the comp IMO than flighty superstars.

For mine the issue isn't the number of sides. It's recruitment. The Scorchers have two injured international fast bowlers who still haven't had a run, with Shaun Marsh and Cameron Bancroft to come back, while the Sixers are using 12 year old Mickey Edwards because they haven't signed anyone

I think this is kind of looking at it the wrong way. Who cares about enticing Indian players? They'll come if the competition is worth their time.

I think they should up the quota by one, but teams should be targeting the guys like Jofra Archer or Rashid Khan. I reckon teams want big names, and that's understandable, but you bring a guy like Archer or Khan or Nabi out you're bringing quality players of the future who will stick around.

I don't think the quality of imports is that bad personally. Archer, Khan, Nabi, McCullum, Yasir Shah, Dwayne Bravo, Carlos Brathwaite just signed with the Sixers...all good players and some potential cult heroes, which is better for the comp IMO than flighty superstars.

For mine the issue isn't the number of sides. It's recruitment. The Scorchers have two injured international fast bowlers who still haven't had a run, with Shaun Marsh and Cameron Bancroft to come back, while the Sixers are using 12 year old Mickey Edwards because they haven't signed anyone

The internationals will increase the quality of the competition, and provide something else to the teams.You would imagine Travis Head at Adelaide benefited a ton from having Jayawardene there to learn from. You want these players to provide leadership for the young guys, because the Australian big guns are all in the national team setup. By having only one international be cap free, you can bring in a big name, along with a guy like Archer, Nabi, Shah or Willey.

I do agree with your point about recruitment, following the Sixers on Facebook they are constantly posting about Smith, Starc & Hazlewood's exploits for Australia......despite none playing a game for the Sixers in years, do they really get much benefit from having those guys on the roster? Even Lyon will only come in now the season is over for them, although would have been an asset if they were in contention still.

Even then, the players like Edwards and Sams who come into the team are on a hiding to nothing because they are defending totals that are well below par, and are part of bowling attacks with others who are just not good enough (Abbott, Bollinger, Sommerville). They essentially have a batting line up which can't put up a par score and a bowling attack that can't restrict the opposition to a par score. It must shatter their confidence.

ANTiLAG

First Grade

Dude, no offence, but Rashid Khan has been one of the biggest global names in world T20 cricket since the Wt20 that was 1.5 years ago. He was the star of the last IPL. Nabi starred with him at the WT20 and played very well with him in the IPL even displacing KW at times from the team. Rashid Khan was displacing Mustafizur which created headlines to say the least. These guys are big names.

The Heat recruited smart in getting Shadab Khan as well. But just getting the best Afghan and Pakistan talent available (Pakistan tours NZ every summer for past 4 summers) isn't a whole tournament.