What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

R.I.P Kato Ottio

getsmarty

Immortal
Kato Ottio dead: Former Canberra Raiders rugby league player passes away aged 23
League
  • January 9, 2018 12:36pm
  • by Staff writers
  • Source: FOX SPORTS
OTEyMDE4M3xjeG8uY3xodHRwczovL2Nkbi5uZXdzYXBpLmNvbS5hdS9pbWFnZS92MS85YzliNTMwNzgxZjA3ZTJhZGYwMjdjOWJmNTM1YmU4M3w5MTIwMTgz

Former Canberra Raiders player Kato Ottio has died.Source: News Corp Australia
THE rugby league world is in mourning today following the shock death of former Canberra Raider Kato Ottio aged just 23.

Ottio passed away after a “sudden health issue” while training on Monday, ahead of his move to the English Super League.

The Papua New Guinea international spent the past two years on Canberra’s books, without cracking the top grade.

After last year’s World Cup he signed to play with English Super League side Widnes, where the powerful outside back had hoped to make his first grade debut.

The PNG Rugby Football League released a statement on Tuesday morning, with the governing body’s chairman Sandis Tsaka advising that Ottio had passed away at the Pacific International Hospital in Port Moresby at 2am.

Tsaka said Ottio’s body was taken to his home in Tatana before being moved to a funeral home.

The details of his death will be released later.

OTEyMDE4M3xjeG8uY3xodHRwczovL2Nkbi5uZXdzYXBpLmNvbS5hdS9pbWFnZS92MS8xM2U3NzM2Njc2NmM2NTU2NGY3N2QyZjE3Nzk1ZDBiOHw5MTIwMTgz

Kato Ottio in his PNG jersey ahead of the World Cup. Picture: David Buller/NRL ImagerySource: Supplied
Former Raiders teammate Elliott Whitehead was among the first to pay tribute to the rising star, saying on Instagram that Ottio was “one guy who has always had a smile on his face. Loved my time with him at Raiders”.

Former Brisbane Broncos and Gold Coast winger David Mead - who played alongside Ottio for Papua New Guinea at last year’s World Cup and has since joined Super League club Catalans Dragons - posted a touching tribute to Instagram to his “Kumul brother”.

“Absolutely devastated to hear the passing of my Kumul brother Kato Ottio. He was one of most humble and kind hearted people I have ever known,” Mead wrote.

“Forever in my heart. Love you brother Rest In Peace. I will miss you Katzy Mero.”

The Raiders issued a statement saying the club was “deeply saddened and shocked” by Ottio’s passing.

“Receiving the devastating news this morning knocked me for six. It was hard to believe given the age of Kato and how I remembered him here, I am really lost for words,” coach Ricky Stuart said.

“Kato was an important part of our club and very close mate to all our boys and staff.

“He was a very respectful young man who appreciated everything we were doing for him here in adjusting to life in Canberra and learning his trade in becoming a professional football player.

“He was very close to his family and my heart and prayers go out to them. I just could not imagine what they are going through at this moment.”

OTEyMDE4M3xjeG8uY3xodHRwczovL2Nkbi5uZXdzYXBpLmNvbS5hdS9pbWFnZS92MS84OWEyYWU5MTliZTZiNjk2ZTJjNjYxNDk2NzI3NmM5M3w5MTIwMTgz

Kato Ottio is tackled in a PNG vs USA World Cup match.Source: AAP
The Widnes Vikings also confirmed the news in a statement on Tuesday.

“We are devastated to learn that Kato Ottio has passed away this afternoon. Kato was an incredibly talented player, with a bright future ahead of him in rugby league,” Widnes Vikings CEO James Rule.

“This news is all the more tragic, because Kato was due to travel to the UK this week to fulfil his dream of playing first-grade rugby league.

“We had been in regular contact with Kato and were excited to welcome a bright, excited and passionate young man, who had genuine potential for the future.”

On days like this, you see the incredible community in our great sport. Thank you to everyone who has shared their respect for Kato. We will ensure that his family knows about the great kindness from supporters across the world. #RIPKato :black_circle::white_circle: :flag_pg: pic.twitter.com/GbJt41hFdc

— Widnes Vikings (@WidnesRL) January 8, 2018
OTEyMDE4M3xjeG8uY3xodHRwczovL2Nkbi5uZXdzYXBpLmNvbS5hdS9pbWFnZS92MS8yZWNmZTA5MGViMzdmYzgxNmE1NzBhNmM0MjE3MzVkNnw5MTIwMTgz

Canberra Raiders Kato Ottio during the 2017 Auckland Nines launch.Source: News Corp Australia
The tragic news came as an enormous shock to Ottio’s friends and family.

“Having only learned this morning that Kato had developed a sudden health issue whilst training yesterday, we are in absolute shock to now receive this tragic news,” Rule continued.

“We will be liaising closely with his loved ones to offer them our condolences and support at this difficult time.

“Widnes Vikings will of course be looking to celebrate Kato’s life and pay our sincere respects to someone who we believe would have become a hero at our club.”
Added Widnes coach Denis Betts: “To receive this tragic news is heartbreaking. All of us saw at the World Cup the incredible gifts that Kato had, and his potential to forge a great career in rugby league.

“Moreover, in all of our interactions with him, we found Kato to be a person of great character, who was excited to be following his dreams.

“On behalf of the coaching team, staff and players at Widnes Vikings, I would like to offer our sincere condolences to Kato’s loved ones.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/ka...3/news-story/bd177aed0e2f92e1cdd6400a122b2590

Drag Queen

Bench
Kato Ottio dead: Former Canberra Raiders rugby league player passes away aged 23
League
  • January 9, 2018 12:36pm
  • by Staff writers
  • Source: FOX SPORTS
OTEyMDE4M3xjeG8uY3xodHRwczovL2Nkbi5uZXdzYXBpLmNvbS5hdS9pbWFnZS92MS85YzliNTMwNzgxZjA3ZTJhZGYwMjdjOWJmNTM1YmU4M3w5MTIwMTgz

Former Canberra Raiders player Kato Ottio has died.Source: News Corp Australia
THE rugby league world is in mourning today following the shock death of former Canberra Raider Kato Ottio aged just 23.

Ottio passed away after a “sudden health issue” while training on Monday, ahead of his move to the English Super League.

The Papua New Guinea international spent the past two years on Canberra’s books, without cracking the top grade.

After last year’s World Cup he signed to play with English Super League side Widnes, where the powerful outside back had hoped to make his first grade debut.

The PNG Rugby Football League released a statement on Tuesday morning, with the governing body’s chairman Sandis Tsaka advising that Ottio had passed away at the Pacific International Hospital in Port Moresby at 2am.

Tsaka said Ottio’s body was taken to his home in Tatana before being moved to a funeral home.

The details of his death will be released later.

OTEyMDE4M3xjeG8uY3xodHRwczovL2Nkbi5uZXdzYXBpLmNvbS5hdS9pbWFnZS92MS8xM2U3NzM2Njc2NmM2NTU2NGY3N2QyZjE3Nzk1ZDBiOHw5MTIwMTgz

Kato Ottio in his PNG jersey ahead of the World Cup. Picture: David Buller/NRL ImagerySource: Supplied
Former Raiders teammate Elliott Whitehead was among the first to pay tribute to the rising star, saying on Instagram that Ottio was “one guy who has always had a smile on his face. Loved my time with him at Raiders”.

Former Brisbane Broncos and Gold Coast winger David Mead - who played alongside Ottio for Papua New Guinea at last year’s World Cup and has since joined Super League club Catalans Dragons - posted a touching tribute to Instagram to his “Kumul brother”.

“Absolutely devastated to hear the passing of my Kumul brother Kato Ottio. He was one of most humble and kind hearted people I have ever known,” Mead wrote.

“Forever in my heart. Love you brother Rest In Peace. I will miss you Katzy Mero.”

The Raiders issued a statement saying the club was “deeply saddened and shocked” by Ottio’s passing.

“Receiving the devastating news this morning knocked me for six. It was hard to believe given the age of Kato and how I remembered him here, I am really lost for words,” coach Ricky Stuart said.

“Kato was an important part of our club and very close mate to all our boys and staff.

“He was a very respectful young man who appreciated everything we were doing for him here in adjusting to life in Canberra and learning his trade in becoming a professional football player.

“He was very close to his family and my heart and prayers go out to them. I just could not imagine what they are going through at this moment.”

OTEyMDE4M3xjeG8uY3xodHRwczovL2Nkbi5uZXdzYXBpLmNvbS5hdS9pbWFnZS92MS84OWEyYWU5MTliZTZiNjk2ZTJjNjYxNDk2NzI3NmM5M3w5MTIwMTgz

Kato Ottio is tackled in a PNG vs USA World Cup match.Source: AAP
The Widnes Vikings also confirmed the news in a statement on Tuesday.

“We are devastated to learn that Kato Ottio has passed away this afternoon. Kato was an incredibly talented player, with a bright future ahead of him in rugby league,” Widnes Vikings CEO James Rule.

“This news is all the more tragic, because Kato was due to travel to the UK this week to fulfil his dream of playing first-grade rugby league.

“We had been in regular contact with Kato and were excited to welcome a bright, excited and passionate young man, who had genuine potential for the future.”

On days like this, you see the incredible community in our great sport. Thank you to everyone who has shared their respect for Kato. We will ensure that his family knows about the great kindness from supporters across the world. #RIPKato :black_circle::white_circle: :flag_pg: pic.twitter.com/GbJt41hFdc

— Widnes Vikings (@WidnesRL) January 8, 2018
OTEyMDE4M3xjeG8uY3xodHRwczovL2Nkbi5uZXdzYXBpLmNvbS5hdS9pbWFnZS92MS8yZWNmZTA5MGViMzdmYzgxNmE1NzBhNmM0MjE3MzVkNnw5MTIwMTgz

Canberra Raiders Kato Ottio during the 2017 Auckland Nines launch.Source: News Corp Australia
The tragic news came as an enormous shock to Ottio’s friends and family.

“Having only learned this morning that Kato had developed a sudden health issue whilst training yesterday, we are in absolute shock to now receive this tragic news,” Rule continued.

“We will be liaising closely with his loved ones to offer them our condolences and support at this difficult time.

“Widnes Vikings will of course be looking to celebrate Kato’s life and pay our sincere respects to someone who we believe would have become a hero at our club.”
Added Widnes coach Denis Betts: “To receive this tragic news is heartbreaking. All of us saw at the World Cup the incredible gifts that Kato had, and his potential to forge a great career in rugby league.

“Moreover, in all of our interactions with him, we found Kato to be a person of great character, who was excited to be following his dreams.

“On behalf of the coaching team, staff and players at Widnes Vikings, I would like to offer our sincere condolences to Kato’s loved ones.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/ka...3/news-story/bd177aed0e2f92e1cdd6400a122b2590
This is incredibly sad news.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
A young man with talent and soon off on an adventure and life dream to play first grade suddenly struck down and taken.
Puts into perspective that no matter how old or fit you are when its time, its time.
RIP and play hard in the realm your in now.

Tez

Juniors
It was rumoured we were chasing him last year. He was a mate and PNG teammate of Nene. RIP Kato.

getsmarty

Immortal
Details emerge of cause of sudden death of Kato Ottio as PNG Hunters suspend training
League

MTAxMjAxODJ8Y3hvLmN8aHR0cHM6Ly9jZG4ubmV3c2FwaS5jb20uYXUvaW1hZ2UvdjEvN2I4YzJhYmYzYTMxNWQ3Y2Q4YjU3ZmUxOGRjZGJlYjl8MTAxMjAxODI=

There has been an outpouring of grief around the world following the sudden passing of former Raider Kato Ottio. Photo: Brett CostelloSource: News Corp Australia
DETAILS have emerged of the moments before Kato Ottio collapsed into a coma that he would never wake from, with his ultra-professionalism potentially playing a part in his death.

Speaking to the Wide World of Sports, Ottio’s manager Steve Deacon said the 23-year-old had chosen to continue running after taking part in a gruelling eight-kilometre road run with the Hunters on a Port Moresby day where the mercury rose to 33 degrees.

His running slowed before he collapsed, with Ottio’s mother Joyce telling The Daily Telegraph that the cause of death was “heatstroke”.

“He got heatstroke, that’s what the doctor said,” she told the Telegraph from PNG.

“I love him so much, he is my everything. I was with him at the hospital and he should be close to me, I miss my son so much.”

Previously contracted with the Canberra Raiders, Ottio had briefly reunited with many of his former Hunters teammates for a training run as he prepared to continue his rugby league career playing for Widnes in the English Super League.

It ended in tragedy when he collapsed on the road, with Deacon saying Ottio had attempted to lead by example in front of the Hunters players.

“The run was over and a few of the boys walked back while others got a ride,” Deacon said.

“But Kato told a few of the players ‘let’s run back’ — he wanted to use the professionalism he gained from his time at Canberra to rub off on his younger countrymen.

“He got slower and eventually collapsed. He was unconscious and in a coma and they were not able to revive him.

MTAxMjAxODJ8Y3hvLmN8aHR0cHM6Ly9jZG4ubmV3c2FwaS5jb20uYXUvaW1hZ2UvdjEvMmViZTU2OTA3NDA3MWI1YTgzYzNiYjgwMDgxOTFlMzB8MTAxMjAxODI=

Watson Boas and Kato Ottio celebrate a PNG Test victory over Fiji.Source: Getty Images
“He was a great guy and I’m just devastated.”

Ottio had recently featured in all four World Cup games for Papua New Guinea — scoring a try in the Kumuls’ opening win against Wales.

A talented volleyball player who came late to rugby league but rose quickly through its ranks, Ottio was selected to play first for the Hunters and then the Kumuls in 2015 before being snapped up by the Raiders.

His death has caused widespread sadness and shock among the Hunters’ players and staff with the defence of their Intrust Super Cup title put on hold indefinitely during the club’s period of mourning.

Coach since the inception of the Hunters in 2014 and current coach of the Kumuls, Michael Marum had no hesitation in suspending his team’s pre-season training in the wake of Ottio’s death and told foxsports.com.au that their sole focus for the immediate future is providing adequate support to players, staff and their families.

“We are just worrying about looking after our players and we have already suspended training indefinitely,” Marum said.

“All we are trying to do is to make sure all our minds are OK and the boys are mentally OK.

“Obviously they are all very upset about the loss of Kato so all we are doing is providing support to the family and all of our players that are in camp, especially the ones that have played with him over the past three or four seasons.

MTAxMjAxODJ8Y3hvLmN8aHR0cHM6Ly9jZG4ubmV3c2FwaS5jb20uYXUvaW1hZ2UvdjEvMzQ1NDU3NDliM2FlN2M2NTQ3NjFlMDZkZjdkN2FiNjB8MTAxMjAxODI=

Kato Ottio played all four games for the Kumuls in the 2017 World Cup. Photo: David BullerSource: Supplied
“There are a couple of the boys that are related to Kato that are in the side here — Adam Korave and Silas Gahuna — so those two players have been released to go back to their families and don’t have to be in camp at all.

“The ones that are the new boys and the ones from outside of Port Moresby we are keeping them in camp to make sure they are having normal meals and just keeping an eye on them.”

Marum and Hunters management have had next to no sleep since Ottio took ill on Sunday night, devoting every waking hour to not only their players but also providing support to Ottio’s family.

The 2017 champion Hunters team that brought such joy to the people of PNG had only reassembled in Port Moresby to begin their 2018 campaign last Thursday and Marum had no hesitation in welcoming his Kumul centre to train with the team before he departed for England.

Ottio had conducted previously linked with the Hunters for training sessions during trips home throughout his two year stint with Canberra and Marum saw no indication of any health issues when he turned up to train on Sunday.

“When he called me I talked to him and he turned up straight after,” Marum said of Ottio’s request to attend Sunday’s training session.

“He seemed really OK. I didn’t see anything in him so I thought he was OK. He said he was training and preparing to go up to England.

“We were not aware of how he was the night before and before he came in to join us.

“When he was with the Raiders he would come up and spend some time training with us as well so that’s why when he asked I thought it was OK to let him join in.”

Marum said that the outpouring of support from the NRL, Intrust Super Cup, Intrust Super Premiership and clubs in England and elsewhere around the world was greatly appreciated and said the club will continue to assist players through the grieving process.

“It’s going to take a bit of time and making sure we get all our heads right,” Marum said.

“We’ll sit down as a club and also sit down with individual players and the management will see how we can help if players have got concerns and other things in their minds.

“We’ll try our very best to identify and assist them where we can.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/pn...o/news-story/1d1fa15f14de97e5ffe574d8052e5296

Smurf

Juniors
Didn’t know this

SUCH was Kato Ottio’s love for his country and Papua New Guinea’s national rugby league side, the rising 23-year-old NRL star knocked back a contract with St George Illawarra to play in last year’s Rugby League World Cup.
Ottio’s brother, Ahulo Ottio Jnr, revealed details of the Dragons offer to his younger brother while delivering the eulogy at Ottio’s funeral on Friday.

Last edited:

getsmarty

Immortal
Kato Ottio rejected Dragons deal so he could join PNG in RLWC
League
  • January 12, 2018 3:01pm
  • by DAVID CAMPBELL
  • Source: The Daily Telegraph

SUCH was Kato Ottio’s love for his country and Papua New Guinea’s national rugby league side, the rising 23-year-old NRL star knocked back a contract with St George Illawarra to play in last year’s Rugby League World Cup.
Ottio’s brother, Ahulo Ottio Jnr, revealed details of the Dragons offer to his younger brother while delivering the eulogy at Ottio’s funeral on Friday.

The Kumuls star died of heatstroke on Monday after collapsing during an 8km run at a training session with Queensland Cup side the PNG Hunters.

MTIxMjAxODV8Y3hvLmF8aHR0cHM6Ly9jZG4ubmV3c2FwaS5jb20uYXUvaW1hZ2UvdjEvZTdiNGNiYWQ2NTE4MzY0ZTFmMzM1OGIyZjJhZDc2YTF8MTIxMjAxODU=

Kato Ottio's mother, Joyce, is comforted at the funeral as she hugs the casket.Source: Supplied
About 2000 mourners packed Port Moresby’s Sir John Guise Indoor Complex to farewell Ottio and hear Ahulo honour his brother.

“I’m not sure a lot of people know this but (Kato) had the option to join St George but the contract came with a condition for him to forgo the World Cup and clean out his ACL surgery,” Ahulo said.

“He told me about it and I lost count of the times I begged him to take up the Saints’ offer and forget the World Cup. I even lobbied mum to talk him out of it but it was all in vain.

“His response was with a smile and a giggle. He said ‘yes bro, that’s true, but I want to play in front of my people. We don’t know when the World Cup will come back to Papua New Guinea and this is my only chance’.”

MTIxMjAxODV8Y3hvLmF8aHR0cHM6Ly9jZG4ubmV3c2FwaS5jb20uYXUvaW1hZ2UvdjEvZGQ0OGUxY2UzMTYxMzk2MTZjODljYjkyM2EwODZjYmJ8MTIxMjAxODU=

Teammates stand around Kato Ottio's casket after carrying him into the funeral service at Port Moresby.Source: Supplied
MTIxMjAxODV8Y3hvLmF8aHR0cHM6Ly9jZG4ubmV3c2FwaS5jb20uYXUvaW1hZ2UvdjEvNDhjY2E0MDgyNTk1YTE1ZjZjMDg5MjY1ZjNmMzE1ZGJ8MTIxMjAxODU=

Kato Ottio in his PNG jersey ahead of the 2017 Rugby League World Cup. Picture: David Buller/NRL ImagerySource: Supplied
“Seeing him out there in a band of brothers was something no-one can put a dollar to and I’m proud he did what he did and played for his country.”

Ottio’s casket was carried in to the service by teammates before being placed on an altar draped in the red, yellow and black of the Kumuls.

In emotional scenes, Ottio’s mother, Joyce, tearfully hugged the casket before being led to her seat.

PNG Prime Minister Peter O’Neill and PNG Rugby Football League boss Reatau Rau were also at the funeral to honour Ottio, who was also a keen volleyball and aussie rules player before returning to league in 2014.

Ahulo said Ottio’s rise in rugby league had been swift and thanked the wider rugby league community for looking after his brother.

MTIxMjAxODV8Y3hvLmF8aHR0cHM6Ly9jZG4ubmV3c2FwaS5jb20uYXUvaW1hZ2UvdjEvZTM3NDUxOWY1Y2U3ZmRhOWJhNWFhY2M2OTk0NmM2YjN8MTIxMjAxODU=

Kato Ottio was farewelled by thousands of mourners.Source: Supplied
“Being asked by Mal (Meninga) to join camp was one of the most exciting times. He couldn’t believe it and we couldn’t believe it. Straight from suburban cup to the PNG PM’s XIII to play Australia (in 2014),” he said.

“Being away from family was one thing but being in a foreign country compounded his loneliness. But thanks to the wonderful support of the Raiders the transition was made much easier.

“I am lost for words at how such a person as young as you could have touched the lives of so many people without ever even meeting them. You still had so much to offer which is what tears me inside.”

MTIxMjAxODV8Y3hvLmF8aHR0cHM6Ly9jZG4ubmV3c2FwaS5jb20uYXUvaW1hZ2UvdjEvMDU5YmMxYWFjNDUxM2RmNTc2ZTEwMThkMDlhMTA4NTZ8MTIxMjAxODU=

Mourners look on at the funeral for Kato Ottio in Port Moresby.Source: Supplied
A statement by Kumuls captain and NRL star David Mead was read out at the service.

“Kato was one of the most humble gentleman and kind-hearted people I’ve ever met,” the statement read.

“Everyday at training he would have the big smile on his face and was always joking with the boys.

“I will miss you Kato. May you rest in peace.”

Ottio was signed to the Raiders from 2015 to 2017. Although he never made his NRL debut, Ottio was a prolific tryscorer for Canberra’s feeder side Mounties.

The young star finished up with the Raiders at the end of last year before signing a deal to join the Widnes Vikings in the UK Super League in 2018 and had been due to join his new club next week.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/ka...c/news-story/a4dea0d63b5fe0baee0f8e87134fd9a2

getsmarty

Immortal
Nene Macdonald’s touching plan to honour ‘brother’ Kato Ottio
Dragons
NjIyMDE4MjN8Y3hvLmN8aHR0cHM6Ly9tZWRpYS5mb3hzcG9ydHMuY29tLmF1L2FydGljbGUvaGVhZHNob3RzL3NpbW9uX2JydW5zZG9uLmpwZ3w2MjIwMTgyMw==

NjIyMDE4MjN8Y3hvLmN8aHR0cHM6Ly9jZG4ubmV3c2FwaS5jb20uYXUvaW1hZ2UvdjEvZjQ2YjA4YTY2YjFlZjJhOTkyNzFjMDhkOGEyMThiYjV8NjIyMDE4MjM=

Nene Macdonald's Instagram tribute to Kato Ottio.Source: Instagram
WHEN St George Illawarra winger Nene Macdonald scores his first try of the NRL season, be sure to pay close attention to what he does immediately afterwards.

His celebration will be a tribute to his “brother” Kato Ottio.

Ottio’s death in a Port Moresby hospital shook the rugby league community to the core after he collapsed during a training run last month.

He was 23 years old.

“It’s pretty tragic because he was young, fit. One thing I’ll take out of it is to be a bit more grateful for everything, like what we’re doing now,” an emotional Macdonald told foxsports.com.au.

“He was fine, like us sitting here, nothing was wrong and then he just drops like that.

“It’s something that is pretty tough and I feel very sad for his mother.

“When we play, if I get a try in the first round, or whenever I do (score) is going to be for him. A few of the other (Papua New Guinea) boys will be doing the same.”

Macdonald was one person left devastated by the sudden death of Ottio.

It came barely a month after they had shared a football field together when representing PNG at the World Cup.

While they were the same age, and both born on the island, the pair didn’t meet until a few years ago, when rugby league brought them together.

But the “brotherhood” of the Kumuls is a bond stronger than most. The PNG players have been supporting each other in the weeks since Ottio’s passing.

“Once you join the Kumuls everyone is very close to each other. Losing him was like losing a brother, so everyone was pretty devastated,” Macdonald said.

“I flew up for the service, and going back and seeing everyone was pretty hard. It was good to catch up and see everyone and say my goodbyes, see his mother.

NjIyMDE4MjN8Y3hvLmN8aHR0cHM6Ly9jZG4ubmV3c2FwaS5jb20uYXUvaW1hZ2UvdjEvMGFkMTg1MzgxMjhmNGI4MDRjNDgyZTMxZGNjYmY3MDV8NjIyMDE4MjM=

Kato Ottio for Papua New Guinea lays a tackle during the World Cup.Source: AAP
“It was a pretty tough time. There were 6000 or 7000 people at the service, so many people.”

Before making the emotional trip to PNG to farewell his good friend, Macdonald asked his Dragons teammates to sign a jersey.

He presented the gift to Ottio’s mother.

“She loved it. It was good,” he said.

Ottio’s sudden death sent shockwaves through the rugby league world.

His former club Canberra, and the club he was due to join this year, Widnes Vikings, have started a fundraising campaign.

The aim is to fulfil Ottio’s dream of buying his mother a house. You can learn more and donate here.

The Raiders are also considering establishing a scholarship in Ottio’s name for promising PNG footballers.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...o/news-story/118760eedb916417fc50c54ab72869e8