What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WIN TAKE OVER

True mate but you can at least trace it back to the history of the St George Dragons as before the merger they go a heap of juniors from there. Could have been worse, look at the Bears. Now they got rorted big time.
The poor old Bears were ripped off and could easily be rejuvenated on the Central Coast.
Would love to see that actually.
I understand the connection with the Illawarra but there is no need to bastardize the St. George identity because of it.
That is what has happened.
Wests/Tigers is the other JV and they are also a mess.
The JV was a choice not a necessity.

Gareth67

First Grade
I must confess that the St. George aspect of the Joint Venture to me , as an individual , is what is important . I was sadden when both clubs were joined , as I felt that we also lost our true identity , that being the Saints . That is what those legends in the paintings , that look down upon you in the Taj Mahal represented to me , being part of something that was truly great - the mighty Saints .

Unfortunately i can no longer recall the actual specifics and reasons for the amalgamation , but what I do know is , that without the Illawarra shire , the Saints , would not had reached the great heights that they did , in our ' golden years ' .

So many wonderful players came from outside of Kogarah , from other clubs , with the odd international thrown in , but in the main from the 'Gong , a tremendous nursery of talent that St.George gladly used for eons . Each helped create a club that became a true legend in the rugby league world . But as we all know , Saints are not the only thing that marches on , so does time and in 2018 we are indeed a Joint Venture of St.George Illawarra .

Like it or not , that is the way it is now , and shall remain so ,until something is done to alter that . And should that ' something ' ever eventuate , I just hope that it allows both parts of the Joint Venture to seperate , with the dignity that each deserves .

Last edited:

BennyV

Referee
I think it better to toss up possibilities or suggestions than it is to dumb down what could possibly be the best opportunity for the Dragons since our run of 11 premierships in the 50s/60s. I'm the Possm who likes to dream of possible glory again and who is not afraid to put some alternative views on possibilities when it comes to a Sheik owner who has 60 times the totoal of the NRL budget.

Lighten up BennyV, it's the off-season. There is not much to celebrate about last season and it's really hard for me to take the notion that we still have a failed coach in charge of our great Club.

It is rare that I criticise another's post but on this occasion I have decided to make an exception. I am tired of the idea of adopting the statuesque or aiming for the mediocre. I am one for breaking the glass ceiling and returning the Club to the great heights it once owned.

Although my thoughts on a rich buyer may be possible and some of the suggestions a little over the top, the $60b Sheik has more than the resources needed to undertake such investments. However, I am the first to say that although I would love it to happen, the chances of such investment may be possible but not really probable.
I'm all for dreaming of greatness again, but re-read my (and your own) posts possm, you're not talking about investment into the growth and wellbeing of our club, you are talking about blowing hundreds of millions of dollars and completely messing with public infrastructure, including schools, all of which would need endorsement from the public and government (remember, we live in a democracy over here) for the sake of making it slightly easier for fans to attend footy games 4-6 times a year. Complete madness!

If the sheik were to buy into our club, I'd want him to have nothing to do with the running of it. Let him be the front man and figure head, and employ a consultancy to set up a highly qualified board of director for both the leagues club and the football club to rejuvenate both. In saying that, the above could easily happen without input from the sheik (or any private buyer) if those in charge weren't so concerned with self-preservation.

John moz

Juniors
We need high profile people like john Howard and bryan Brown 2 most powerful men that are life members .
Also Anthony mundine and others high sporting people Australian ex cricket captain tubby taylor .They all can bring in a major part of corporate sponsors.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
The poor old Bears were ripped off and could easily be rejuvenated on the Central Coast.
Would love to see that actually.
I understand the connection with the Illawarra but there is no need to bastardize the St. George identity because of it.
That is what has happened.
Wests/Tigers is the other JV and they are also a mess.
The JV was a choice not a necessity.

Agreed mate, the Bears should be playing out if the Central Coast.
It’s a growing area, they had a backer that was prepared to throw squillions at it but no, the imbeciles at the nrl displayed their ignorance to the world and did nothing...... absolutely nothing.

We play team out of Melbourne but we refuse to acknowledge a fantastic growth area in our own backyard.

Imbeciles !

Brutalitops

Juniors
Agreed mate, the Bears should be playing out if the Central Coast.
It’s a growing area, they had a backer that was prepared to throw squillions at it but no, the imbeciles at the nrl displayed their ignorance to the world and did nothing...... absolutely nothing.

We play team out of Melbourne but we refuse to acknowledge a fantastic growth area in our own backyard.

Imbeciles !
If you think a team in Central Coast more financial sense than one in Melbourne then I don't even know what to say. NSW needs no more teams.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
We need high profile people like john Howard and bryan Brown 2 most powerful men that are life members .
Also Anthony mundine and others high sporting people Australian ex cricket captain tubby taylor .They all can bring in a major part of corporate sponsors.

I'm unsure whether Brown has the celebrity status required; although well known domestically, he ain't no Russell Crowe.

I doubt Mundane would have any influence, let alone nous to have a positive effect.

Mark Taylor is an unknown.

Personally, the further Howard stays away from the club the better (this may ruffle some feathers).

Overseas dragon

Juniors
Dave carlson from sky channel would be a great ambassador if a public float was ever considered .which is only possible if we get the incumbent hoard out the door but if it's on I'll certainly be I'm here dragon .help to get rid of the leaches we currently have in the boardrooms .sad state of affairs our board and CEO............... And Brisbane broncos need some competition in Brisbane ,they have had things too easy for too long and certainly Melbourne should have another team ......:wink:

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
If you think a team in Central Coast more financial sense than one in Melbourne then I don't even know what to say. NSW needs no more teams.

Melbourne & Victoria are AFL, the Central Coast and NSW are NRL.
Seems logical to me.
We are not trying to convert followers, we’re just trying to appease the many that have moved from Sydney to the Central Coast, hence the reason Singo and others have tried to get a team going there.

Drag Queen

Bench
Seems logical to me.
We are not trying to convert followers, we’re just trying to appease the many that have moved from Sydney to the Central Coast, hence the reason Singo and others have tried to get a team going there.
I can see the logic there OKB but Newcastle is only a short trip up the road for us central coasties. Maybe a mid/north coast team would make more sense.

Overseas dragon

Juniors
Great place for a new team the central coast going back a few years the dragons lost a game in gosford something like 23 to 22 anyone remember the team they played maybe around 95.......,central coast bears maybe

JDHD

Juniors
Seems logical to me.

Central Coast had their chance.

Draginzaaar

Bench
I'm unsure whether Brown has the celebrity status required; although well known domestically, he ain't no Russell Crowe.

I doubt Mundane would have any influence, let alone nous to have a positive effect.

Mark Taylor is an unknown.

Personally, the further Howard stays away from the club the better (this may ruffle some feathers).
Mark Taylor is an unknown?

Gareth67

First Grade
I hope that we hear something one way or the other very fooking quickly . These negotiations have been going on for a eternity now , or at that very least make an announcement as to what the stage they are at .

possm

Coach
I hope that we hear something one way or the other very fooking quickly . These negotiations have been going on for a eternity now , or at that very least make an announcement as to what the stage they are at .
Yes, I'm now becoming a little confused. On one hand we are told that Gordon / WIN already own the Illawarra side of things with his son on the Board as a result, next thing we are told Gordon / WIN are only buying 50% - the Illawarra side of things.

To gain substantial change at the Club we will need a complete buy out.

Gareth67

First Grade
Yes, I'm now becoming a little confused. On one hand we are told that Gordon / WIN already own the Illawarra side of things with his son on the Board as a result, next thing we are told Gordon / WIN are only buying 50% - the Illawarra side of things.

To gain substantial change at the Club we will need a complete buy out.

Possum , I believe that the confusion came from the last media report saying that Bruce Gordon was to buy the Joint Venture, play more homes games at the 'Gong etc. etc. - all of which in fact were nothing more than Phil Rothschild's PREDICTIONS for season 2018 and nothing more .

He also predicted that the Broncos would finish towards the bottom of the competition ladder , he should join our forum as he certainly has the right qualifications .

Either that , all we all throw in our day jobs and become sports writers for the Daily Telegraph !

Last edited: