What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 Roster: Gains & Losses

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby...savea-not-dismissing-a-change-to-rugby-league

As I mentioned before about Julian Savea...

I mentioned Quade Cooper too and now he's being chased, lets just say Quade is chased more than clubs chase Blake Green. No offence to Green of course, just saying.

I was shocked when Cappy dropped Fusitua in his rookie days for the Warriors and I even said on here that he would be up there as a class player in the future. Someone told me not to get too carried away and most didnt care too much Fus was dropped, then he came back to prove me right, he the class player I predicted way back then. Ive got the same feeling about Savea, we need to chase this type of power.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby...savea-not-dismissing-a-change-to-rugby-league

I mentioned Quade Cooper too and now he's being chased, lets just say Quade is chased more than clubs chase Blake Green. No offence to Green of course, just saying.

I was shocked when Cappy dropped Fusitua in his rookie days for the Warriors and I even said on here that he would be up there as a class player in the future. Someone told me not to get too carried away and most didnt care too much Fus was dropped, then he came back to prove me right, he the class player I predicted way back then. Ive got the same feeling about Savea, we need to chase this type of power.

Savea wouldn't come to League. Why would he? More money in Union? esp France. I dont think he would add anything that an upcoming league player couldn't. He was good but in an all blacks environment anyone can look good similar to the Melbourne Storm.

This will blow over soon I hope. We really are NOT in a position to try for his signature. We dont have bugger all left in the cap.

Be honest with yourself? Do you really think he will sign for us? Coming from a Pro to a Bro setup? I cant see it unless he's thick as his thighs lol

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
Savea wouldn't come to League. Why would he? More money in Union? esp France. I dont think he would add anything that an upcoming league player couldn't. He was good but in an all blacks environment anyone can look good similar to the Melbourne Storm.

This will blow over soon I hope. We really are NOT in a position to try for his signature. We dont have bugger all left in the cap.

Be honest with yourself? Do you really think he will sign for us? Coming from a Pro to a Bro setup? I cant see it unless he's thick as his thighs lol
Im not speaking on Julian Saveas behalf, no no no. I'm just saying what the article says that JULIAN says. Julian Savea has said he has not ruled out a move to league in the future. Why would he come to league? Do I think he would sign with us? like I said, I'm not Julian but I do know he has stated he wouldnt rule out league and I have proof to back that up (refer to the article link).

Savea is good in the Lions and Hurricanes too so its not just the All Blacks that he thrives on. He more often than not, can come up with big plays by himself so its not like he's a Hiku where he depends on the team to get him through.

2019 it says in the article, so maybe its worth a chat to Julian. Just a chat at least to see what he says.

VillaTheGorilla

Juniors

:joy::joy:
Just saw the same drivel in a different thread...why are you trying to big yourself up to people on this forum?

I'm interested to hear some of your thoughts and prediction for us this year, oh mighty Oracle :joy:

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Weepu and Nonu made a lot of money off the back of "not ruling out switching to league" just as many a league player has doing the reverse.

IMO there's nothing to see here.

One Warrior

Bench
Here's the official release from the club.

Vodafone Warriors sign ex-Wigan centre Gelling
Richard Becht

Fri 12 Jan 2018, 11:02
Anthony Gelling, who recently returned to Auckland after six seasons in England, has been signed by the Vodafone Warriors on a one-year contract.

After being given an early release by the Wigan Warriors, the Cook Islands international was invited to train with the Vodafone Warriors this week.

“It’s a stroke of luck for us that Anthony has come back,” said Vodafone Warriors head coach Stephen Kearney.

“He proved himself in the Super League and has immediately impressed us at training this week.

“We’re thrilled we’ve been able to add him to our squad. He brings size and some special skills, providing further depth and increasing competition among our outside backs.”

In his six seasons with Wigan, Gelling (27) scored 52 tries in 114 appearances and also represented the Cook Islands at the 2013 Rugby League World Cup.

a-gelling-180109.jpg

“Rugby league wasn’t the reason I came home,” he said.

“I’d had six seasons in England and I really wanted to be back in New Zealand around my family. I’m grateful for everything Wigan did for me and for allowing me to head home early.

“I wasn’t sure what would happen with my career but the opportunity came up to train with the Vodafone Warriors this week and now I’m excited about signing for the club.”

Gelling was a Super League grand final winner with Wigan at Old Trafford in 2016 and was also in its beaten side in the 2014 decider.

He helped Wigan to its World Club Challenge win against Cronulla in 2017 as well as playing in the Challenge Cup final at Wembley (a match Hull FC won).

He last played in New Zealand in 2011 when he was in the Vodafone Warriors’ feeder side the Auckland Vulcans, who lost 28-30 to the Canterbury-Bankstown Bankstown in the dying moments of the New South Wales Cup at ANZ Stadium. The same season he tasted success at Auckland club level when the Howick Hornets won the Fox Memorial premiership for the first time.

ANTHONY GELLING

Date of Birth: October 18, 1990

Birthplace: Auckland, NZ

Junior Club: Howick Hornets

Position: Centre

Height: 1.96m

Weight: 102kg

Rep Honours: 6 Tests for Cook Islands (2009-2015)

Previous Clubs: Sydney Roosters (2009-2010), Auckland Vulcans (2011), Wigan Warriors (2012-2017)

NRL debut: Yet to make debut

Super League Career: 114 appearances for Wigan Warriors (2012-2017)

Super League Points: 208 (52 tries)

NYC Career: 30 appearances for Sydney Roosters

NYC Career: 28 (7 tries)

https://www.warriors.kiwi/news/2018/01/12/vodafone-warriors-sign-ex-wigan-centre-gelling/

One Warrior

Bench
Current Squad/year contract expires

Ata Hingano 2020
Nathaniel Roache 2020
Solomone Kata 2019
Bunty Afoa 2019
David Fusitua 2019
Isaiah Papalii 2019
Shaun Johnson 2019
James Gavet 2019
Ligi Sao 2019
Blake Ayshford 2019
Charnze Nicole-Klokstad 2019
Mason Lino 2019
Lewis Soosemea 2019
Joe Vuna 2019
Chris Satae 2019
Albert Vete 2019
Isaac Luke 2018
Roger Tuivasa-Sheck 2018
Simon Mannering 2018
Sam Lisone 2018
Ken Maumalo 2018
Jazz Tevega 2018
Junior Pauga 2018
Zac Santo 2018
Manaia Cherrington 2018
Patrick Sipley 2018
Donovan Briggs 2018

Losses

Ryan Hoffman (Melbourne Storm)
Kieran Foran (Canterbury Bulldogs)
Ben Matulino (West Tigers)
Toafofoa Sipley (Manly Sea Eagles)
Ofahiki Ogden (Canterbury Bulldogs)
Manu Vatuvei (Salford Red Devils)
Matt Allwood (Wyynum)
Bureta Faraimo (Hull FC)
Jacob Lillyman (Newcastle Knights)
Bodene Thompson (Leigh Centurions)
Etene Nanai (Waikato Chiefs)

Gains

Tohu Harris 2021 (Melbourne Storm)
Leivaha Pulu 2020 (Gold Coast Titans)
Gerard Beale 2020 (Cronulla Sharks)
Adam Blair 2020 (Brisbane Broncos)
Peta Hiku 2020 (Warrington Wolves)
Matiu Love-Henry 2018 (Brisbane Broncos)
Agnatius Paasi 2019 (Gold Coast Titans)
Blake Green 2020 (Manly Sea Eagles)
Anthony Gelling 2018 (Wigan Warriors)

Unknown for 2018

Jordan Pinnock
Matthew Sauni
Tevin Arona
Sam Cook

Anybody who has any further info please advise, thanks.

Last edited:

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
:joy::joy:
Just saw the same drivel in a different thread...why are you trying to big yourself up to people on this forum?

I'm interested to hear some of your thoughts and prediction for us this year, oh mighty Oracle :joy:
Oh welcome back to the forum Villa. I see you finally paid your outstanding internet bill. No ones missed you lol, not even a rated poster in the awards. Little intelligence lol.

No I was just mentioning how earlier in the year, had I been a Warriors scout, I'd look at talking to Julian Savea to see if he would be interested in a move to the Warriors. Fast forward the clock, and guess what, Savea says he wouldnt rule out a move to league. Whether its a ploy to seek some sort of reassurance from Hansen, no one truly knows. All I was saying was its funny how I mentioned Savea before and now he's expressed interest towards league.

My thoughts this year is that we wont be in the 8. As much as I'd like us to be, I don't think we have fixed the problem which is our forward pack. My pack would look like this:
8. Gavet
9. Roache
10. Sipley
11. Blair
12. Harris
13. Mannering
14. Luke
15. Afoa
16. Vete
17. Lisone

Sipley I havent seen but I have heard good things about and I do understand that its Tofs bro. If hes anything like his bro Id try him. Vete, Lisone and Afoa need to step up this year because if Gavet gets injured then were in trouble. Vete and Lisone are so promising and Im hoping this is their breakout year. Afoa seems to be hiding in mediocrity since his impressive first game so wouldnt be surprised to see him lose his spot to Papalii.

The Storm has still got their pack losing only McClean for Kasiano. Now when I picked my kiwis team for 2016, I had Sam Kass in there on the right side to open doors for SJ, kinda like Murdoch-Masilla did for the Tongans. Nobody liked Sam Kass including Kidwell except for me and Bellamy. No Im not going to say great minds think alike, instead, Im just happy I dont think like dumb ass Kidwell. Anyway our pack isnt as good IMO and thats why no 8 is my prediction for us this year.

Last edited: