What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Metal thread \m/

Hardcore_Fan

Juniors
I’m going only because I think ‘Horizons’ is actually a really good album and I want to hear it played in it’s entirety.

Shame everything since that they’ve released has been a steaming pile of shit.

Every album post horizons is amazing. How can you not like deep blue? That is a masterpiece. Atlas is ok but not their best, ire is different but it’s probably now my favourite parkway album. Bottom Feeder and Dying to believe are 2 of the heaviest songs parkway have written.

They aren’t playing the whole album, frostbite and 5 months are omitted from the set list and they have some songs from ire.

Vic Mackey

Referee
They have had their ups and down havent they.

First 2 albums amazing, next 2 utter shit, then they came storming back with ‘through the ashes of empires’ which is one of my favourite albums of all time. Everything since has been rubbish bar maybe Bloodstones and Diamonds (I absolutley hate the Blackening which I know goes against the grain but to me they are not a prog band and they tried to be one on that album). And the locust thing.....FMD

I still love the Slayer VHS/DVD from 1995 (Live Intrusion) where Tom and Kerry get Robb and Christ Kontos up to do a Venom cover. Was about the first time I had heard MH and I went out and got Burn My Eyes not long after and loved them.

The only song I have heard from the new album sounds like a Strapping Young Lad song, I saw Devin Townsend called them out on it too..........

Opinions on MH and Robb are very pulverizing. They’ve always been one of fav bands but I know a lot of the metal community never forgave him/them for the 3rd and 4th albums. Personally I still loved TBR and to me lyrically it’s their best album. Supercharger was poor though. Then with TTAOE and The Blackening they seemed to re establish themselves as one of the heavy weights of metal.

I agree with TTAOE, I’ve actually got the lyrics from Imperium tattooed on my ribs. Then with TB being loved by everyone (but you lol) I felt they tried to repeat it with their next 2 but failed. I thought The Locust had 3 real good tracks but the rest were garbage. I could never get into B&D, I tried but I just never felt it.

Either way the return to their sound from 15-20 years ago is very strange, it wasn’t well received back then when that type of music was popular. Now no one wants to listen to rap metal and a bunch of 50 year olds are trying to bring it back? Weird.

Last edited:

Firey_Dragon

Coach
MH and Robb are very pulverizing. They’ve always been one of fav bands but I know a lot of the metal community never forgave him/them for the 3rd and 4th albums. Personally I still loved TBR and to me lyrically it’s their best album. Supercharger was poor though. Then with TTAOE and The Blackening they seemed to re establish themselves as one of the heavy weights of metal.

I agree with TTAOE, I’ve actually got the lyrics from Imperium tattooed on my ribs. Then with TB being loved by everyone (but you lol) I felt they tried to repeat it with their next 2 but failed. I thought The Locust had 3 real good tracks but the rest were garbage. I could never get into B&D, I tried but I just never felt it.

Either way the return to their sound from 15-20 years ago is very strange, it wasn’t well received back then when that type of music was popular. Now no one wants to listen to rap metal and a bunch of 50 year olds are trying to bring it back? Weird.
I don't know if the music from The Burning Red or this video generated the hate....

maxresdefault.jpg

TBR was a dumpster fire of a change for them, I didn't really like Supercharger but it did have a sweet cover of Message in a bottle and The Deafening Silence which was a damn good metal ballad.

I can't believe they've gone back to that sound though, admittedly I haven't enjoyed their most recent stuff but TTAOH is probably my fave album from them alongside the more things change.

Still my fave metal band I've seen live, I must have seen them about 7 or 8 times over the years, mainly because they toured the shit out of Australia in my uni years.

Vic Mackey

Referee
I don't know if the music from The Burning Red or this video generated the hate....

maxresdefault.jpg

TBR was a dumpster fire of a change for them, I didn't really like Supercharger but it did have a sweet cover of Message in a bottle and The Deafening Silence which was a damn good metal ballad.

I can't believe they've gone back to that sound though, admittedly I haven't enjoyed their most recent stuff but TTAOH is probably my fave album from them alongside the more things change.

Still my fave metal band I've seen live, I must have seen them about 7 or 8 times over the years, mainly because they toured the shit out of Australia in my uni years.

Hahahaa the old porcupine haircut. Yeah Rob didn’t do himself any favors there. The cover of Message in a Bottle was actually on TBR, again the fact that they did a cover copped shit but it’s a good version and apparently Sting loved it (well that’s what Rob said anyway).

The More things Change was killer and I probably even preferred it to Burn My Eyes. Have you heard the demo version of Ten Ton hammer with the extended intro? Wish they had of done this on the album track

Same mate seen them plenty of times. Their gig at The Roundhouse after TTAOE was one of the best gigs I’ve been too.

Firey_Dragon

Coach
Hahahaa the old porcupine haircut. Yeah Rob didn’t do himself any favors there. The cover of Message in a Bottle was actually on TBR, again the fact that they did a cover copped shit but it’s a good version and apparently Sting loved it (well that’s what Rob said anyway).

The More things Change was killer and I probably even preferred it to Burn My Eyes. Have you heard the demo version of Ten Ton hammer with the extended intro? Wish they had of done this on the album track

Same mate seen them plenty of times. Their gig at The Roundhouse after TTAOE was one of the best gigs I’ve been too.
Ah shit, my memory is failing me these days. It's been a looooong time since I've listened to either TBR or Supercharger, probably for fear of tainting memories of my youth. I still listen semi frequently to most of their other stuff.

Yeah I've heard that intro before, same, wish it made it onto the album. I also went to that gig at TTAOE, first time seeing them with Phil, completely changed their show. Mind you the time I saw them before that was when they played with slayer at the Hordern which I think was 2001? Which was peak Nu-Metal Machine Head, just before Supercharger came out.

beave

Coach
Ah shit, my memory is failing me these days. It's been a looooong time since I've listened to either TBR or Supercharger, probably for fear of tainting memories of my youth. I still listen semi frequently to most of their other stuff.

Yeah I've heard that intro before, same, wish it made it onto the album. I also went to that gig at TTAOE, first time seeing them with Phil, completely changed their show. Mind you the time I saw them before that was when they played with slayer at the Hordern which I think was 2001? Which was peak Nu-Metal Machine Head, just before Supercharger came out.

I was at the same gig. I think it was the ‘god hates us all’ tour yeah? Ahrue Luster just never fitted in with that band musically. You could see the tension on stage between him and the rest of the band.

Speaking of Slayer, that was probably their last remotley respectable album. Everything since has been f**king woeful. Their last decent one was Divine Intervention, f**kers need to put the band to rest imo. No Lombardo, no Hanneman, meh.

Last edited:

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
That TTAOE show was the one at the UNSW Roundhouse right? What a great show that was, I actually got a pit pass as I was doing g photos for a website at the time, was great being up ther if only for 3 songs!

On a more current note who else is going to see Mayhem on Thursday night? Great live act and they’re playing their most seminal album start to finish, plus an absolutely killer support act in Bölzer who I’m if anything looking forward to even more than Mayhem. Quality Aussie support in Ruins and Departe too.

Vic Mackey

Referee
I was at the same gig. I think it was the ‘god hates us all’ tour yeah? Ahrue Luster just never fitted in with that band musically. You could see the tension on stage between him and the rest of the band.

That gig was actually with Slayer supporting ‘Musica in Diabola’ or whatever. I thought that album copped a lot of shit for supposedly being nu-metal, which it wasn’t. Bitter Peace was a great track and a few more were too.

It was the first time I saw MH live. Good gig but they only played like 8 songs IIRC. Was at the Horden.

I remember when Ahrue left to join Ill Nino my mate said ‘that’s a good combo, Ahrue sucks and so does I’ll Nino’ hahaa

That TTAOE show was the one at the UNSW Roundhouse right? What a great show that was, I actually got a pit pass as I was doing g photos for a website at the time, was great being up ther if only for 3 songs!

Yeah Roundhouse, definitely one of the best gigs I’ve been too. They played a Medoly of covers including Sepultura - Terrioty, Pantera - Walk amongst others which sounded f*#king sick.

beave

Coach
That gig was actually with Slayer supporting ‘Musica in Diabola’ or whatever. I thought that album copped a lot of shit for supposedly being nu-metal, which it wasn’t. Bitter Peace was a great track and a few more were too.

It was the first time I saw MH live. Good gig but they only played like 8 songs IIRC. Was at the Horden.

I remember when Ahrue left to join Ill Nino my mate said ‘that’s a good combo, Ahrue sucks and so does I’ll Nino’ hahaa

Yeah Roundhouse, definitely one of the best gigs I’ve been too. They played a Medoly of covers including Sepultura - Terrioty, Pantera - Walk amongst others which sounded f*#king sick.

The one I went to was the at the Horden Pavillion in 2001? Was def ‘god hates us all tour’ and MH opened for them. I think we all got out wires crossed :p

beave

Coach
And ’Diabolous’ has aged pretty poorly mate, have a listen to it again and see what I mean (i chucked it on the other day and couldn’t believe how shit it was).

beave

Coach
Every album post horizons is amazing. How can you not like deep blue? That is a masterpiece. Atlas is ok but not their best, ire is different but it’s probably now my favourite parkway album. Bottom Feeder and Dying to believe are 2 of the heaviest songs parkway have written.

They aren’t playing the whole album, frostbite and 5 months are omitted from the set list and they have some songs from ire.

Yeah well they played 5months and Frostbite tonight so you were wrong about that. They played the whole Horizons album straight through in order sans a break in the middle where they played some newer naff. They played some utter shit from Ire as an encore as well which I knew they would do (42mins of Horizons isnt enough to justify punters spending $50)

The musicianship on the Horizons era and the new stuff is chalk and cheese. When they now need to use a riff for an entire song that in the past you would use only for a short break down or bridge, you know they need to up their game. The crowd interaction for the new stuff was pretty ho-hum which I’m not surprised because to be brutally honest, it’s pretty shit compared to the earlier stuff.

Last edited:

adamkungl

Immortal
I still cant believe that beave doesnt rate Blackening haha.

An absolute high point of the "groove metal" genre and of 2000s metal, and if you count groove metal as basically an evolution of thrash then its probably the best thrash release since 1991 too. Shits all over anything else Machine Head have ever written or any of their contemporaries, including Pantera and Lamb of God.

beave

Coach
I still cant believe that beave doesnt rate Blackening haha.

An absolute high point of the "groove metal" genre and of 2000s metal, and if you count groove metal as basically an evolution of thrash then its probably the best thrash release since 1991 too. Shits all over anything else Machine Head have ever written or any of their contemporaries, including Pantera and Lamb of God.

Better than Pantera?

Someone get Kungl a Bex and a pillow...... lads gone cray cray.

Plus I don’t think LoG or MH are considered ‘groove metal’. Though being brutally honest, I f**king hate labels and genre pigeon holing bands and their style.

But MH better than Pantera?? Hmmm, Panteras last album was pretty shit but CFH, VDOP, FBD and TGST are brillant for mine. I am the youngest in my families generation (my mum was the youngest of her 3 siblings) I still remember the day my older more musically learn-ed cousin played his Vulgar Display of Power CD for me when it first came out that he had bought from those CD clubs you could me a member of (they used to have ads/catalougues in various magazines and shit, no spotto or itunes in the early 90’s kids. I think the club got the price down to $20 a pop which was bargain as $30 for a CD was standard back then, if you got a CD for xmas or birthday you were f**king stoked!!!) and my mind blew open when he played Mouth for War on his huge ass home stereo. I had been into Metallica for a couple of years (Justice and Black era) and dabbled in a bit of Alice in Chains and this was a huge leap forward for me. Dimebags riffs and solos and the drumming blew my mind at the time. Even the analog production of that album stands up to todays standards. That lead me onto a quest for even heavier stuff which brought me into listening to Deicide, Cannibal Corpse, Morbid Angel, Obituary, Bolt Thrower and the like.

I like MH but they are no Pantera for mine. But thats the beauty of metal, one mans Pantera is another mans Nickelback.

Last edited:

adamkungl

Immortal
I was gonna say similar - Blackening was one of the albums that made the jump for me from Metallica to heavier stuff.
I like Pantera fwiw they're certainly not my Nickelback haha

beave

Coach
I was gonna say similar - Blackening was one of the albums that made the jump for me from Metallica to heavier stuff.
I like Pantera fwiw they're certainly not my Nickelback haha

If you want your mind blown, listen to Panteras real early shit if you can find it (the independant label stuff). And I mean mind blown in not a good way........ Very hard to get original vinyl but its out there in net-land.

images

Christ, I feel old talking about this shit!

adamkungl

Immortal
First impression of the 3 singles released for MH Catharsis..

Weird.
I can see why the nu-metal tag is getting thrown around for the song Beyond the Pale, but that's a pretty limited way to look at it. Chuggy riff does not make a nu-metal song. No high school rap lyrics at least.
The song Bastards is a folky Volbeat kinda thing with Robb slinging venom about the current poltical debate climate.
Catharsis has some pretty interesting parts but the clean chorus throws it off a bit.

If the singles are representative of the album as a whole I think we can expect a less heavy, more varied album weirder than anything else they've written. Could be a grower.. but I think it might tank.

Latest posts