What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New York pro rugby league team

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
The strongholds of Rugby Union in the USA are California, New York, Pennsylvania and to a lesser extent, Utah and Colorado (they have smaller populations so are more contentious).

I don't know why Denver was chosen but it wouldn't be the Union presence.

Depressing missed opportnity of RL #10006...

California RU wanted to change to RL rules to compete with Gridiron, so they asked Aussies/Brits to come visit and teach them the rules.

That was the same year WW2 began, which meant travel was impossible for the RL delegates. You can just imagine how much better off RL would be internationally if a bunch of West Coast RU comps had taken on RL.

WW2 f*cked RL in France AND America...

paulmac

Juniors
Depressing missed opportnity of RL #10006...

California RU wanted to change to RL rules to compete with Gridiron, so they asked Aussies/Brits to come visit and teach them the rules.

That was the same year WW2 began, which meant travel was impossible for the RL delegates. You can just imagine how much better off RL would be internationally if a bunch of West Coast RU comps had taken on RL.

WW2 f*cked RL in France AND America...
If you get a chance listen to the Tony Collins speech on the history of RL in Canada. He coins a phrase that is quite apt ‘RL never misses an opportunity to miss an opportunity’

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
If you get a chance listen to the Tony Collins speech on the history of RL in Canada. He coins a phrase that is quite apt ‘RL never misses an opportunity to miss an opportunity’

Ive said elsewhere that Canada is probably our biggest missed opportunity...

The CFL is one of their biggest leagues (as far as i can tell, no.2 behind hockey). Up until the 1930s (and arguably, even as late as the 50s) the CFL and Canadian Football was an unaffiliated form of RL.

Id even go so far as to say RL originated in Canada.

Either way, that quote is dead on. RL loves those big moments; we get the chance to wave as they go passing by...

paulmac

Juniors
Ive said elsewhere that Canada is probably our biggest missed opportunity...

The CFL is one of their biggest leagues (as far as i can tell, no.2 behind hockey). Up until the 1930s (and arguably, even as late as the 50s) the CFL and Canadian Football was an unaffiliated form of RL.

Id even go so far as to say RL originated in Canada.

Either way, that quote is dead on. RL loves those big moments; we get the chance to wave as they go passing by...
In 1904 RL & Canadian Football were one and the same. The RFL made overtures but Football in Canada at that time was still amateur & they wanted nothing to do with RL.

RedVee

First Grade
In 1904 RL & Canadian Football were one and the same. The RFL made overtures but Football in Canada at that time was still amateur & they wanted nothing to do with RL.
I’d like to read more on this. Could you point me to a source ?