What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Metal thread \m/

adamkungl

Immortal
If you want your mind blown, listen to Panteras real early shit if you can find it (the independant label stuff). And I mean mind blown in not a good way........ Very hard to get original vinyl but its out there in net-land.

images

Christ, I feel old talking about this shit!

I listened to their pre-Cowboys shit years and years ago when I was first getting into metal.. didn't think much of it then, don't remember any of it now, don't see any reason to go back to it haha.

Hardcore_Fan

Juniors
Yeah well they played 5months and Frostbite tonight so you were wrong about that. They played the whole Horizons album straight through in order sans a break in the middle where they played some newer naff. They played some utter shit from Ire as an encore as well which I knew they would do (42mins of Horizons isnt enough to justify punters spending $50)

The musicianship on the Horizons era and the new stuff is chalk and cheese. When they now need to use a riff for an entire song that in the past you would use only for a short break down or bridge, you know they need to up their game. The crowd interaction for the new stuff was pretty ho-hum which I’m not surprised because to be brutally honest, it’s pretty shit compared to the earlier stuff.

Wow you would be such a hoot at parties.

I was going off their unify set list where they didn’t play frostbite or 5 months.

Was an awesome show. Could just imagine you standing on the top level of the Tivoli with your arms crossed cracking the sads cause they played some songs from ire. If bottom feeder doesn’t make you want to jump into the mosh pit then no song will. $50 for a parkway show is great value, especially when you have Australia’s greatest up and coming band as support, you should be able to afford that on your sergeant wages anyway.

Vic Mackey

Referee
If you want your mind blown, listen to Panteras real early shit if you can find it (the independant label stuff). And I mean mind blown in not a good way........ Very hard to get original vinyl but its out there in net-land.

images

Christ, I feel old talking about this shit!

Hahaa I’ve heard about this stuff but never been able to listen to it, it’s like 80s glam metal yeah?

I was gonna say similar - Blackening was one of the albums that made the jump for me from Metallica to heavier stuff.
I like Pantera fwiw they're certainly not my Nickelback haha

Funnily enough MH brought me over from 90s punk/grunge etc to metal. I was into Bush/Live/Nirvana etc and the Aussie ones Grinspoon/Superjesus/Frenzal Rhomb etc. However it was The Burning Red which i first heard. After I liked that I got Burn my Eyes and it didn’t only Burn my Eyes it burnt my f*#king everything and hooked me for life.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I still cant believe that beave doesnt rate Blackening haha.

An absolute high point of the "groove metal" genre and of 2000s metal, and if you count groove metal as basically an evolution of thrash then its probably the best thrash release since 1991 too. Shits all over anything else Machine Head have ever written or any of their contemporaries, including Pantera and Lamb of God.

Hey, now - who, whoa, whoa!

Chris Adler = GOD

Firey_Dragon

Coach
I was at the same gig. I think it was the ‘god hates us all’ tour yeah? Ahrue Luster just never fitted in with that band musically. You could see the tension on stage between him and the rest of the band.

Speaking of Slayer, that was probably their last remotley respectable album. Everything since has been f**king woeful. Their last decent one was Divine Intervention, f**kers need to put the band to rest imo. No Lombardo, no Hanneman, meh.
Yeah it was the God Hates Us All tour. I've never really got the appeal of Slayer, they have a couple of somewhat classic songs, but Tom Araya is probably the worst vocalist I've ever heard and that concert confirmed it haha.

Lombardo was great to watch though.

adamkungl

Immortal
Hell yes
with Amon Amarth the day before too (in Sydney)

the 3 bands I would have bothered to go to Download for all playing shows

beave

Coach
Yeah it was the God Hates Us All tour. I've never really got the appeal of Slayer, they have a couple of somewhat classic songs, but Tom Araya is probably the worst vocalist I've ever heard and that concert confirmed it haha.

Lombardo was great to watch though.

South of Heaven and Seasons in the Abyss IMO were their ultimate 2 albums. I know Reign In Blood gets all the wraps and Kudos in the metal community but I really like those 2 albums. Araya actually sings properly and not recorded like he’s yelling through a megaphone and the songs have really interesting lyrical content. Some of thier more recent releases have such childish f**king themes.

And whilst Bostaph is an amazing drummer, Lombardo is still king. When they fired him a few years ago on the eve of Soundwave and they announced Jon Dette was going fill in after his Anthrax sets each arvo,I was a little shocked and skeptical that he could pull it off. In Brissy he absolutley nailed it was probably the best I had heard them live in the 8 times I’ve seen them over the years.

Last edited:

adamkungl

Immortal
Slayer have 3 golden albums (Reign, South, Seasons), the rest skim them for singles.
God Hates Us All and Christ Illusion are solid, of their newer stuff. 90s was rubbish, last 2 albums bland re-treads.
Seen them live a few times and always had a great time, except for the Soundwave where they didn't show up coz one of them was ill or got bitten by a spider or some shit, and they didn't bother to let the crowd know for 45 mins after their set start time when things were starting to get rowdy.

But yeah should have ended when Hanneman died

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
The first 5 Slayer albums are all amazing and they’re wrapped up perfectly by the Decade of Aggression double live album. Everything after that is unnecessary IMO.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Mastadon is a band I just can’t get into.

They’re my Nickelback..... :p

same, just dont do it for me, Gojira on the other hand, cant wait to see them live, my fave Youtube band atm

I love how Youtube picks up you your fav lists and just keep jamming away all night while you're BBQing or having a cold one

beave

Coach
I was just about to post about Gojira, they are fantastic. SW 2012 i made my mate watch them with me in Brissy and his jaw hit the ground after 30 seconds.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Psyched to witness this live in a couple of days, one of the best guitarists in the scene at the moment imo:

gUt

Coach
I get why people don't like Mastodon - a bit wanky, bloated and indulgent perhaps plus the vocals are generally a bit meh, but I love the guitarists and songwriting.

And yeah Gojira are the goods. Saw them live at SW (right after GWAR) and it was great.

Zigwaa

Bench
Anyone heard the latest Kublai Kahn album, Nomad? I can't stop listening to it, loving the wall of guitars and drums sound.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Max Watts (the old Hi-Fi bar) must be the worst venue in Sydney, the horrible sound in the place did its best to ruin what was otherwise an amazing show last night.

beave

Coach
Only 2 members in Bolzer??? Hmmmm, interesting. Probably limits what they can do sonically, I reckon they should at least get someone playing bass for them to give them a more fuller sound. Would like to see more of their live stuff.

Latest posts