What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jack Cogger signs two year deal with Bulldogs, seeking immediate release

Burns

First Grade
Source: http://www.theherald.com.au/story/5171199/jack-cogger-signs-two-year-deal-with-bulldogs/?cs=305

"Knights halfback Jack Cogger will immediately seek a formal release from the club after signing a two-year deal with Canterbury on Tuesday.

Cogger, contracted to the Knights until the end of the season, has signed with the Bulldogs for 2019-2020 but remains hopeful the Knights will allow him to leave for Belmore early.

“Jack is leaving the Knights for the opportunity to play in the NRL which is the only reason he is going,” Cogger’s manager Michael Newton said.

“The Knights have told us they won’t be releasing him early but we will still formally apply and see how we go.

“It is not too dissimilar to how Mitchell Pearce ended up at the Knights with the Roosters allowing him to go after they signed Cooper Cronk."

~~~~~~

No reason why we should let him go immediately. We didn't get Ponga when we signed him, why should Canterbury get Cogger for 2018? Can stay as a reserve player in the event that Pearce/Lamb/Watson/(Hodko?) get injured.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Better to wait for a trade. Im sick of the Knights being nice and getting f*cked over...

He signed the contract, so its not like this is forced labour. He can wait a year or figure out how to make an offer too sweet for the Knights to say "no"

Old dog

Juniors
Only let him go if it is to our advantage, swap deal. If he stays then he should play strong and hard making his next contract even better/bigger and that could be stay or go.

Knight Vision

First Grade
I dont see too many players worth swapping from them or ones they would let go for that matter. Klemmer? no chance

Frederick

Staff member
What about getting Holland back? Would net us a starting centre and a recognised goal kicker in return for a reserve grade halfback

mozza91

Coach
What about getting Holland back? Would net us a starting centre and a recognised goal kicker in return for a reserve grade halfback
Cogger will likely be their starting halfback if he goes. That’s worth a good First Grader at least.

Old dog

Juniors
Holland is a possibility, originally a Knight can play any backline position and does kick goals, don't know why he left or why we let him go, not top notch but better than some we have.

Knight Vision

First Grade
Geez, I reckon your're being very generous to Holland there Old Dog. Pretty sure Browny let him go and from what I've seen of him I think it was the right call.
yep he's a fringe player. Sione would be a better centre IMO. Hopoate ? Morris ? Tolman ?

Burwood

Bench
If I were Cogger I would be a bit nervous about having to wait another year before joining the Bulldogs. They are the sort of club who can shuffle deck chairs to fit anybody in under their salary cap- if they aren’t performing early in 2018 there’ll be pressure on Pay and he might just go out and sign someone with more than a handful of games experience to partner Foran.

Old dog

Juniors
Could be right Spot On but don't think Dogs would let anyone better go, deal is an unlikely thing to happen, we keep him or loose him.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
Like has been said, i wouldn't release him unless we get a trade. If the club holds off releasing him, it wouldnt surprise me if the bulldogs bite the bullet and swap him for someone. Blooding Cogger could only be a good thing for the bulldogs as far as his development goes.

The only downside of releasing Cogger is that it will show the knights to be a club that flip flops on their word and this may lead to Lamb trying to get an early release.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
Nah only release him if we get a trade in return. I would be happy to take Josh Morris off their hands in return for Cogger.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
Nah it'll be more subtle, like getting the refs to continue the stellar job they've been doing the past few years
Good call. Ive always been one to defend the refs when it comes to being biased etc but last season was a real eye opener. ld like to think that the refs didnt go into games with a thought of being biased but something was going on, whether it be a case of them expecting us to be undisciplined or whether they were more relaxed due to limited publicity due the knights being hopeless, i dont know. Id like to think I don't partake in conformation bias when it comes to such things but the majority of 50 50 call, minus a couple of the games would go to the oppositon.

slotmachine

First Grade
And yet we won more penalty counts than we lost, and received more penalties than gave away in total...

The more likely explanation is that the refs aren't very good at their jobs.

Frederick

Staff member
Good call. Ive always been one to defend the refs when it comes to being biased etc but last season was a real eye opener. ld like to think that the refs didnt go into games with a thought of being biased but something was going on, whether it be a case of them expecting us to be undisciplined or whether they were more relaxed due to limited publicity due the knights being hopeless, i dont know. Id like to think I don't partake in conformation bias when it comes to such things but the majority of 50 50 call, minus a couple of the games would go to the oppositon.
Bill Harrigan has pretty much confirmed that the refs have tip sheets on teams and certain players

Latest posts