What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 NRL Fullbacks

Eastview

Juniors
The only way Dufty will be higher on that list is if he improves both his kick returns and defense (both are currently non existent)

giboz71

First Grade
Some cray-cray ratings there. I'd put Turbo above Boyd TBH, I'd also have Wighton at 15, and Ponga (considering he's yet to play FG in th exposition) down much lower too. Edwards and Coot should both be bumped up.

Harsh but fair on Dufty.

Debatable about Turbo.

He has all the tools but he’s not the complete package just yet. His passing game was wayward at times.

He needs to develop that aspect of his game much like Slater, RTS and Tedesco.

My top 5 would be:

1. Slater
2. Tedesco
3. Boyd
4. RTS (he’s been let down playing for the Warriors)
5. Turbo.

kit66

Bench
Slater and Trbojevic are ahead of the rest imo, I'd like to see them face off in Origin this year. It's scary that Trbojevic still has plenty of room for improvement. Tedesco will likely get the No.1 for the Blues this year but he won't have it for long I think, turbo hot on his heels.
I think Souths would be better served with Johnston at fb, he handles the position well and he's one of the fastest men in the league, you'd want him more involved. He's not wasted on the wing but could be utilized a lot better. I'd put him at about 6 on that list.
I have high hopes for Dufty, could become one of the great little men of the game and a Saints legend. ( not to put pressure on him or anything ).

Last edited:

RufusRex

Post Whore
I wonder how many of the others are deliberately told to not attack? Must f**k with his confidence. Imagine a coach telling Warnie not to bowl the flipper because it doesn't turn.

#RunDontPass

kit66

Bench
Debatable about Turbo.

He has all the tools but he’s not the complete package just yet. His passing game was wayward at times.

Last season Trbojevic had 21 try assists to Teddy's 8, some from kicks but a lot off passes as well. I just said in another post it's scary how much room for improvement the kid has. Tidy up his passing game for sure and needs to cut his error rate dramatically and pick up both his off - loads and try saves and he'll make a real name for himself.

giboz71

First Grade
Last season Trbojevic had 21 try assists to Teddy's 8, some from kicks but a lot off passes as well. I just said in another post it's scary how much room for improvement the kid has. Tidy up his passing game for sure and needs to cut his error rate dramatically and pick up both his off - loads and try saves and he'll make a real name for himself.

Don’t get me wrong, Turbo is a good player and still improving.

But as you say, he’s prone to make errors and his vision and decision making is still lacking when you compare to the likes of Boyd, Coote and Moylan.

Hence, to say he’s a top 2 fullback and better than the likes of Boyd and Tedesco is a big call.

Easily in the top 5 however.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
I wonder how many of the others are deliberately told to not attack? Must f**k with his confidence. Imagine a coach telling Warnie not to bowl the flipper because it doesn't turn.

#RunDontPass

Spot on rufus.
He has been told that on kick returns to give to McDonald or nighty to take the hit up.
I just hope he is allowed more freedom.

1. Billy Slater
2. Darius Boyd
3. Tom Trbojevic
4. James Tedesco
5. Roger Tuivasa-sheck
6. Valentine Holmes
7. Jarryd Hayne
8. Greg Inglis
9. Jack Wighton
10. Michael Gordon
11. Lachlan Coote
12. Kalyn Pong
13. Will Hopoate
14.Tuimoala Lolohea
15. Dylan Edwards
16. Matt Dufty

http://www.5thtackle.com/2018/01/14/2018-nrl-fullbacks-ranked-heading-into-2018-season/

Thoughts?

Fair enough list, I think.

Our centres and wingers wouldn't fare much better. Nor would our head coach, of course. Therein lies the problem.

Straight Shooter

Frank Facer

First Grade
Slater and Trbojevic are ahead of the rest imo, I'd like to see them face off in Origin this year. It's scary that Trbojevic still has plenty of room for improvement. Tedesco will likely get the No.1 for the Blues this year but he won't have it for long I think, turbo hot on his heels.
I think Souths would be better served with Johnston at fb, he handles the position well and he's one of the fastest men in the league, you'd want him more involved. He's not wasted on the wing but could be utilized a lot better. I'd put him at about 6 on that list.
I have high hopes for Dufty, could become one of the great little men of the game and a Saints legend. ( not to put pressure on him or anything ).
I would play Teddy fullback and Turbo at centre for NSW. Mitchell or Bird would be the other centre.

As for Johnson at fullback, I would rather Dufty.

Old Timer

Coach
Turbo is a rising star and will prove to be a great player if he says injury free.
Tedesco IMO os the one who is over rated as he is at times a great attacking player but also with a few big flaws in his game and in defence not in the top 6.
Tedesco IMO has more chance of filling the gaps in his game than Tedesco does.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Turbo is a rising star and will prove to be a great player if he says injury free.
Tedesco IMO os the one who is over rated as he is at times a great attacking player but also with a few big flaws in his game and in defence not in the top 6.
Tedesco IMO has more chance of filling the gaps in his game than Tedesco does.

I think Tedesco is going to be one of the best players in the game next year. I even give him a chance to win the Dally M medal. He will be playing with a much superior squad of players. He will also have the bonus of Cronk at halfback.

BennyV

Referee
Debatable about Turbo.

My top 5 would be:

1. Slater
2. Tedesco
3. Boyd
4. RTS (he’s been let down playing for the Warriors)
5. Turbo.
I think Slater is definitely 1 (the guy just gets better and better), and the Top 5 are a lock in, but order is definitely debatable. But if you look at the other guys you've put above Turbo:
- Boyd is very much a confidence player, will finish off a lot and shine in a team with momentum but hasnt really grabbed a game by the scruff of the neck since 2010.
- Tedesco has as many, if not more, gaps in his game as Turbo. He's a sook in defense and doesnt match the kicking game of other fullbacks. I'm also yet to see him really combine with the rest of the team; a lot of his brilliance comes from individual off-the-cuff play, not sure how well that all fits into a team structure like all the others have (admittedly he's not had that much chance at the Tigpies).
- RTS comes in at 5 for mine. Had a break out year, signed for big dollars with Warriors and hasnt really been seen much since. Has all the tool, including the best sidestep I've ever seen (I remember watching him once at ANZ from behind the goal line, he dead set looked like he teleported 5m sideways when returning the ball. Left the idiots in red-and-white clutching at air). Needs consistency.

Turbo has some errors that will cut out with experience, but IMO he has more strings to his bow than the others. Save for Roosters bias with regards to rep selections, I'd suggest he take over from Slater as the #1 fullback in the game when Billy bows out.

Coffs dragon

Bench
Slater is the best by far & most probably in his final year of his career. If I was given the opportunity to buy any fullback in the comp to play at the Dragons, then I'd have Turbo or Gutherson top of the list. Both have great ball playing skills with size & speed

giboz71

First Grade
I think Tedesco is going to be one of the best players in the game next year. I even give him a chance to win the Dally M medal. He will be playing with a much superior squad of players. He will also have the bonus of Cronk at halfback.

Agreed.

If he can shine at a basket case of a club like the Tigers, imagine him at the Roosters with their endless resources and the likes of Cronk, Keary, Fergo and Mitchell playing alongside him. All with Trent Robinson as coach as well.

He’ll be much better in 2018.