What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2nd ODI: Australia v England at Gabba Jan 19 2018

TheParraboy

Staff member
Smithy said Haze in for Cummins about the only change for this game. We have a few days to mull over game 1 and get it right in Brissy.

Be interesting to keep a tally of the crowd vs the crowd that come to the t20s, other than the new Perth stadium (sold out) the t20 games will get better crowds

JJ

Immortal
I think Australia need to evolve the way they play - it's almost as if the game has moved on (literally when you recall Paine and White)

I know you hold the World Cup, and with the three very high quality quicks will always be a chance, but the batting needs to be deeper to allow more aggression throughout, and the bowling plans seemed a little off - Cummins is too good to waste like that

From the BBL there seems to be more talent about - I know Finchy scored a nice 100, but he's not actually terribly good and is a liability in the field - how the likes of Maxwell, Short and a few others aren't there is beyond me - dare I say it Wade is a better option than Paine - although I admit I haven't seen much of Paine - you need more batting firepower from the keeper

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I think Haze can make a big difference in an ODI, he is much tighter than Cummins or Starc

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Agree with twiz. Cummins is better first change rather than opening as well.

Tye bowled well, should play all 5 games to get a good look at him and rotate the other 'big' 3.

Finch not going on with it cost us a total of 350. 100 looks great next to your name mate, but it's a team game.

JJ

Immortal
Yep - with Hazelwood the attack is with RSA the best going around - but who's advising Cummins?? He's too good to be bowling like that

2 weeks

Coach
After the Roy knock last night, i'm going to start banging my "Maxwell should be opening in white ball cricket" drum again.
We need a swashbuckler who can take advantage of the early field restrictions.
After last night they've got to start thinking outside the box.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
I think Australia need to evolve the way they play - it's almost as if the game has moved on (literally when you recall Paine and White)

I know you hold the World Cup, and with the three very high quality quicks will always be a chance, but the batting needs to be deeper to allow more aggression throughout, and the bowling plans seemed a little off - Cummins is too good to waste like that

From the BBL there seems to be more talent about - I know Finchy scored a nice 100, but he's not actually terribly good and is a liability in the field - how the likes of Maxwell, Short and a few others aren't there is beyond me - dare I say it Wade is a better option than Paine - although I admit I haven't seen much of Paine - you need more batting firepower from the keeper

I wouldn't question the Aussie batting aggression too much JJ. What has changed is the success rates of teams chasing big scores. Like Morgan said he would have taken 300 odd to chase.

[ur]http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/...d-odi-australia-tour-of-south-africa-2016-17/[/url]

http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/...-vs-pakistan-5th-odi-pak-tour-of-aus-2016-17/

[ur]http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/...s-new-zealand-2nd-odi-nz-tour-of-aus-2016-17/[/url]

http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/...d-odi-australia-tour-of-south-africa-2016-17/

http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/...ndia-vs-australia-4th-odi-aus-in-ind-2017-18/

Australia have been putting up some big scores recently without much input in the form of Maxwell's 2015 form.

He did help here tho,

http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/...-vs-pakistan-4th-odi-pak-tour-of-aus-2016-17/

As for Darcy SHort, he is pretty new on the scene, breaking through at 27 in a domestic T20 League of a 7th ranked nation, divided by 8 teams and the local internationals missing games cos of test and odi duty. I don't know how much stock you can put into those performances when he did nothing special in the Ryobi Cup when the internationals were there looking to impress for Ashes contention. I'd give him a go in the t20 tri series perhaps, but I wouldn't base my 2019 WC team around him just yet.

Imo, Australia just need to iron out some wrinkles and settle some tricky selections. They're not so far behind. if even behind at all, as England were in 2015 as to need to "evolve". Its not like Lynn and Maxwell's talents and potential are unknown to their selectors.

Given the way Stoinis is blazing, I am more worried about NZ's middle order looking a touch soft still myself than Australia's.

Paine more than a bit slow though - what's up with that? And Head I dare say is on borrowed time to produce more consistency.

Last edited:

blaza88z

Coach
Not much has to change, taking Hazlewood out of our bowling line up is significant, he doesn't hit 150 clicks, he won't break bones etc.. but what he will do is consistently hit a good area and create pressure right from the start to allow bowlers like Starc and Cummins to come tearing in from the other end and bowl aggressively, AJ Tye's performance just has to be forgotten, like a horse that stays in the barriers, he excels at the death and we didn't get to that stage last night

Finch can be criticised for not going on but I would offer that same criticism to M. Marsh and Stoinis, if any one of those 3 were there in the final overs I would suggest we get that 340/350 mark and although we lost comfortably it's a completely different scenario, let's not overlook that Jason Roy broke all sorts of records last night and it's highly unlikely we see another innings like that in this series at least

Sets up a good series though

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Not much has to change, taking Hazlewood out of our bowling line up is significant, he doesn't hit 150 clicks, he won't break bones etc.. but what he will do is consistently hit a good area and create pressure right from the start to allow bowlers like Starc and Cummins to come tearing in from the other end and bowl aggressively, AJ Tye's performance just has to be forgotten, like a horse that stays in the barriers, he excels at the death and we didn't get to that stage last night

Finch can be criticised for not going on but I would offer that same criticism to M. Marsh and Stoinis, if any one of those 3 were there in the final overs I would suggest we get that 340/350 mark and although we lost comfortably it's a completely different scenario, let's not overlook that Jason Roy broke all sorts of records last night and it's highly unlikely we see another innings like that in this series at least

Sets up a good series though

Bit harsh on Stoinis imo, striking at 150 is going to lose a wicket sooner or later.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Cummins has game but is being used as a battering ram ffs.
I blame the captain and coaching staff, it was absolutely ridiculous how he has been used all summer and a credit to himself he got so many wickets.

He is so much better than some hired thug which is how they have been using him.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
I blame the captain and coaching staff, it was absolutely ridiculous how he has been used all summer and a credit to himself he got so many wickets.

He is so much better than some hired thug which is how they have been using him.

I'm not so sure, in the first 3 ashes tests, he didn't do a great deal, then his bouncers at the MCG and SCG have gotten him wickets. I was more surprised in the 2nd and 3rd tests when Hazlewood was bowling all the bouncers and reg bowling 140 to 145km/h. He showed he has even more to his game imo.

Bazal

Post Whore
Lol at Finch's "consistency"

Averaging about 37 in all forms. He's consistent alright, consistently average. Is that really what you need with the advances in ODI cricket?

Can't blame him for the loss by any means but Roy showed the value of going on with a hundred, which Finch failed to do so that is a valid criticism. And he's a liability in the field. That being said Marsh or Stoinis could have gone deeper too, although Stoinis less so given he was there in the madness overs.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
I'm not so sure, in the first 3 ashes tests, he didn't do a great deal, then his bouncers at the MCG and SCG have gotten him wickets. I was more surprised in the 2nd and 3rd tests when Hazlewood was bowling all the bouncers and reg bowling 140 to 145km/h. He showed he has even more to his game.
Yeah but those first 3 tests he’d Bowled with totally no luck. I thought Starc was easily the worst of the quicks all series but was the one getting the other two’s rewards.

It sort of even up by the end for him, Haze continued to have little luck.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Game 1 on the 14th, game 2 on the 19th - leaves 4 days for the England team to go sightseeing? Call it 3.5 days due to travel.

Who made this schedule? The Queenland Tourism department? KP would be having a fit if he was still playing.

JJ

Immortal
How good did Stoinis go,the Haynetrain talked this punter up for years saying he should play for Australia,Haynetrain showing once again why he is the pre eminent Cricket God,everyone bagged me when i always suggested that punter too,bow to me peasants.
Don Stoinis - the Adam Voges of the ODI side