What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Jerseys, Logos, Mock Ups, Photos ANYTHING

LineBall

Juniors
Dodgy paint effort...but i think it would be cool!

gc%20titans%20heritage.png
I see this and think “ Brisbane Norths “

kdalymc

Bench
We had a couple of decent players in our inaugural squad, sadly I heard the attitude of most of them was pretty poor.

http://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/seasons/arl-1995/western-reds/summary.html

Never did like the reds jerseys though, too many colours and no real relationship to WA

http://www.oldrugbyshirts.com/en/teams/w/wa-reds/shirts-t337.html

If you look on link above can anyone e plain the SL jerseys? There is one with qbe sponsor and super Cup logo, was this a jersey pre SL launch as the one used in 1997 was sponsorless and had the SL logo in middle?

Also the reds 1995 jersey with nswrl logo, was this a 1995 pre season jersey?

man ive asked this before, never really got a response, BUT, i think the clean skin idea Super League had only lasted a couple of weeks- i have old magazines of the first few rounds and youre right all jerseys were plain, just the big S, however soon most of the teams rocked ansett on middle and sleeves, bar bulldogs who had canterbury leagues, reds with Qbe, cowboys with xxxx and a few others. oddly for some reason adelaide rams actually rocked a mascot logo for this first period too, the only team to do so...
i assume pretty early on they realised how bad super league was doing and withing a month had to sell out ha... happy if anyone has any other explanations/ memories..

beave

Coach
Cowboys had Malanda Milks ‘Chill’ brand on the sleeve for SL (exactly like 95 and 96) and the XXXX as you mention. Im pretty sure that they wore those sponsors right from the start of SL as the sponsorship deals were 3 years from memory starting 1995 so they had no choice but to honour those commitments. The following year they had no main sponsor and WIN TV for the sleeves.

Good times........

Perth Red

Post Whore
man ive asked this before, never really got a response, BUT, i think the clean skin idea Super League had only lasted a couple of weeks- i have old magazines of the first few rounds and youre right all jerseys were plain, just the big S, however soon most of the teams rocked ansett on middle and sleeves, bar bulldogs who had canterbury leagues, reds with Qbe, cowboys with xxxx and a few others. oddly for some reason adelaide rams actually rocked a mascot logo for this first period too, the only team to do so...
i assume pretty early on they realised how bad super league was doing and withing a month had to sell out ha... happy if anyone has any other explanations/ memories..

Your probably right though that reds jersey has a "s cup" logo badge on it? Here is a pic of the Reds jersey with sponsors that came in during the season.

Early season
rugby_shirt_2922_1_500x375x1.jpg

Late season
telstracup-per-kearns.jpg

??? Was this a pre season cup , or the original name for SL before it became SL or was it SL reserve grade?

rugby_shirt_2682_1_500x495x1.jpg

kdalymc

Bench
Your probably right though that reds jersey has a "s cup" logo badge on it? Here is a pic of the Reds jersey with sponsors that came in during the season.

Early season
rugby_shirt_2922_1_500x375x1.jpg

Late season
telstracup-per-kearns.jpg

??? Was this a pre season cup , or the original name for SL before it became SL or was it SL reserve grade?

rugby_shirt_2682_1_500x495x1.jpg

For a couple of weeks they were clean skin (if that, upon further investigation I think a few teams had sponsors in round one and 2) then a couple of weeks after that for some reason they all started displaying the Telstra Cup logo.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The pic of Kearns shows him in a sponsored jersey but with no cup logo? Here's a pic of MG with the Cup logo and sponsors. Check out them shoulder pads lol

9ad55605acfd0a4c4d375e502ff128f9

Perth Red

Post Whore
Adelaide (and Hunter) were lucky in that they could display their logo as they were born a SL team.

Teams that were previously ARL were not permitted to use logos or their nicknames.

I wonder what they would have done if the split had gone on? Would they have had to come up with new names or new logos?

Nuke

Staff member
Never did like the reds jerseys though, too many colours and no real relationship to WA

http://www.oldrugbyshirts.com/en/teams/w/wa-reds/shirts-t337.html

Also the reds 1995 jersey with nswrl logo, was this a 1995 pre season jersey?

I may be in the minority, but I loved the old Western Reds jersey. So different from everything else and iconic. When a Perth team is admitted back into the NRL and Classic release the old Reds jersey as part of their retro jersey collection, I, and I suggest many others, will be getting one!

In regards to the Western Reds jerseys with the NSWRL badge, I have one of those. I received it for Christmas 1994. The Reds were admitted in 1993, ready for a 1995 kickoff. The comp changed from NSWRL to ARL in the 1994-95 off-season, so presumably these supporters jerseys were made before the change.
The Reds did tour South Africa before they kicked off in the ARL, and I'm pretty sure their jerseys for that tour had the NSWRL badge on it.

kdalymc

Bench
I may be in the minority, but I loved the old Western Reds jersey. So different from everything else and iconic. When a Perth team is admitted back into the NRL and Classic release the old Reds jersey as part of their retro jersey collection, I, and I suggest many others, will be getting one!

In regards to the Western Reds jerseys with the NSWRL badge, I have one of those. I received it for Christmas 1994. The Reds were admitted in 1993, ready for a 1995 kickoff. The comp changed from NSWRL to ARL in the 1994-95 off-season, so presumably these supporters jerseys were made before the change.
The Reds did tour South Africa before they kicked off in the ARL, and I'm pretty sure their jerseys for that tour had the NSWRL badge on it.
There is very limited number of all the 1995 teams that ended up with NSWRL badges similar situation happened with the Titans with the different Telstra logo, they released a lot of jerseys for presale and then never actually took the field in it.

Also @Perth Red re 1997, like I tried to say the sponsors were a bit hit and miss some teams had them some teams didn’t and it wasn’t till I think about round four or five when suddenly they threw the Telstra logo on all teams. Sponsorless and Telstra cup badgeless Jersey’s were only seen in preseason press shots as well as in the shops- nobody could actually buy an on field jersey like you can now. Quite funny really how everything leading up to it was trying to copy the USA image of a clean skin jersey no need for sponsors, but after one month they were billboards just like the ARL/ now....

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I wonder if it was deliberate to change colours of the reds to bears and rams to knights?

I took it as a declaration "there isnt room for the both of us..."

After the Knights went with the ARL, SL clearly wanted the Knight gone and the Mariners to become THE Newcastle team. Adelaide challenging their brand recognision would have been the other side of this.

The Norths-Perth thing is a bit harder to pick (There was no SL team directly competing for the NS market). If it WAS deliberate, i would peg this as a more general challenge "Who is more important? a team from a small Sydney suburb or the team representing an entire state?". It would have gone more toward the general concept of SL leaving behind the small, insilar Sydney mindset.

I wonder what they would have done if the split had gone on? Would they have had to come up with new names or new logos?

I remember talk about using "Perth Reds" and "Penrith Pumas" (i cant remember the others) to get around the IP thing. It would easily have been something to fix in years 2 and 3, teams not having cartoons on their jumpers wasnt going to kill the comp...

Perth Red

Post Whore
Well, Perth became the Melbourne Storm, so I guess so.

Not really, a handful of players and backroom staff moved to Melbourne.

1998 Team had 8 Reds players, 7 Mariners players and a smattering from other clubs.
Head Coach was from Bulldogs
CEO was from Broncos

flippikat

Bench
They may not be the best, but compared to some of the abominations today, some of the SL jumpers were actually very nice...

The Cowboys Superleague jersey was not too bad, considering the horribly busy designs that followed it.

There's a great opportunity for some NRL team to use a striped V. No one else is right now, and it looks cool.

Souths, if you're listening, use this idea for a REAL alternate jersey!

Attachments

• images (2).jpeg
    images (2).jpeg
    28.6 KB · Views: 18