What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

John ribot on sterlo...

Perth Red

Post Whore
That's always the problem with establishing sporting franchises in Perth. They have to travel to the other side of the continent regularly which always leads to them spending more than other clubs travel wise and drains them financially. If they grab a sponsor that would pay for those expenses the chances of a successful Perth team would improve. .

The NRL pay all travel costs for clubs now, so in this day and age that wont be an issue for a future Perth club

Stallion

First Grade
The NRL pay all travel costs for clubs now, so in this day and age that wont be an issue for a future Perth club

Pretty sure an airline sponsor would be a great fit! After all if the Toronto Wolfpack can achieve such a sponsor surely a well figured out business proposal can do the same for a West Coast team in the best rugby competition (both codes) in the world?

Last edited:

King hit

Coach
You missed my point, like Adelaide and Perth which were no brainers for the AFL to have 2 clubs in, Brisbane is the same for the NRL. Heartland, under represented and crying out for a second club to add immense value to the game. AFL saw this 25 years ago, NRL still cant see it!

re Brisbane and the Broncos monopoly, that is exactly why there will be a section of Brisbane that will passionately get behind a new club that can take it to the Broncos. When the Dockers were tipped to be admitted everyone said it would be a disaster as Eagles were such a massive club, low and behold the Dockers have carved out a very decent section of the AFL market and have really strong supporter base. Many would say far more passionate support than the Eagles as they have spent their lives as underdogs. I can see Brisbane being the same.

That is one of the things that makes me disappointed about the Super league war and it's consequences. We had the Crushers as a second Brisbane team just before the war exploded and losing them was one of the results. Clubs across the NRL recruit players from Brisbane and have feeder clubs in Brisbane and giving those youngsters the chance to develop their careers without moving interstate or thousands of km's north would be a big win for them. Even as a Broncos fan I can see all the power the Broncos have in the game and the organisation will be disappointed if a second team happened.

The Crushers did average 21,000 or so in 1995 so there was some support there but it rapidly dropped off.

Stallion

First Grade
That is one of the things that makes me disappointed about the Super league war and it's consequences. We had the Crushers as a second Brisbane team just before the war exploded and losing them was one of the results. Clubs across the NRL recruit players from Brisbane and have feeder clubs in Brisbane and giving those youngsters the chance to develop their careers without moving interstate or thousands of km's north would be a big win for them. Even as a Broncos fan I can see all the power the Broncos have in the game and the organisation will be disappointed if a second team happened.

The Crushers did average 21,000 or so in 1995 so there was some support there but it rapidly dropped off.

It should be noted the Crushers did not capture the public imagination with poor marketing moto/name and crap colours. And without media support that 21000 is extremely good. It shows a well marketed/named and attractive to the eye club would be a great gain for the code in Brisbane. It's a gift to the game yet it can't be given due to the objection of a monopoly that is way too greedy!

Last edited:

King hit

Coach
I live in Melbourne, so have seen the growth in the sport. Very rarely does a day go by when I don't see Storm merchandise. The game is played in schools which is amazing. Two I know participate in the major schools comp in NSW, Hallam and Vic College.

Good to hear. It sounds like the game has grown in Victoria and is now getting appropriate exposure to the public. Having the Storm and Rugby League games bring played at acceptable times is great. Hopefully they can continue and can hopefully produce local Victorian talent.

King hit

Coach
It should be noted the Crushers did nit capture the public imagination with poor marketing moto/name and crap colours. And without media support that 21000 is extremely good. It shows a well marketed/named and attractive to the eye club would be a great gain for the code in Brisbane. It's a gift to the game yet it can't be given for a monopoly that is way too greedy!

The Crushers jersey was just horrible. Whoever thought that golden baby poo colour was a good idea must have been stupid.

The Great Dane

First Grade
That's always the problem with establishing sporting franchises in Perth. They have to travel to the other side of the continent regularly which always leads to them spending more than other clubs travel wise and drains them financially. If they grab a sponsor that would pay for those expenses the chances of a successful Perth team would improve. Interesting view on Adelaide there. South Australia is very similar to Victoria regarding to sporting background and they were dumped after only 2 seasons. Just from everything I can gather they struggled to get any kind of following and even today people from South Australia i've met have no idea there even was a Rugby League team in South Australia. I've seen some Storm highlights and games from their earlier years and there were some bumper crowds in Melbourne and it looks like they gathered some support from some of the local public.

You have to keep in mind that they were only around for two years, it's hard to make a serious impact in the culture in only two years, especially in a culture that doesn't traditionally take an interest in your product.

But to give you a better idea, their average crowds in 97 was 15,330, their biggest home crowd in 97 (and ever) was 27,435, which for the time is really good and shows heaps of potential for growth.
In 98 their crowds took a huge dip down to an average of 7,682 and their biggest attendance for the year was only 11,289, but every club saw huge drops in crowds at the time due to off field factors and every new clubs see a drop after the novelty factor wears off, it also didn't help that they were a hopeless team, but given time and some success they would have built themselves back up.

On the Broncos being hated: I'm always surrounded by people who are Broncos lovers in so many social and work circles. I imagine most of the haters are those fossils who are upset the Brisbane league had to get relegated to make the Broncos happen. It was for the good of the game as the Brisbane League was draining players down south and clubs were losing money. I can imagine it was hard for some long time fans but it was the right decision.

You're in a bubble, go out to areas that aren't traditionally Broncos areas and talk to them, sure you'll still get Broncos fans, and you'll get the ones that hate the Broncos, but most will simply be indifferent to the Broncos and that's the worst thing that can happen to any brand- indifference to it's existence...

Maybe if another team enters we can get the ones that are indifferent to the Broncos to fall in love with the new club and thus hate the Broncos because of their love for the new club, which would be a win, win, win for the new club, the NRL, and the Broncos cause it'd mean that they watch and take more of an interest in all of those groups content.

T-Boon

Coach

Also, they probably would have been coached by Bellamy and had Smith, Cronk etc. So they probably would have won a premiership by now.

The Great Dane

First Grade

You're not going to ignore the Broncos part in the Crushers death are you?

I mean a big part of the Broncos effectively starting SL was the Crushers being admitted into the ARL, and the Broncos did everything in their power to make sure that the Crushers and any other potential second Brisbane team was killed off (the Chargers were being relocated to Brisbane by the ARL after the Crushers bit the dust, etc).

So yeah you aren't going to ignore the Broncos history of blocking potential competition in Brisbane are you?

King hit

Coach
You have to keep in mind that they were only around for two years, it's hard to make a serious impact in the culture in only two years, especially in a culture that doesn't traditionally take an interest in your product.

But to give you a better idea, their average crowds in 97 was 15,330, their biggest home crowd in 97 (and ever) was 27,435, which for the time is really good and shows heaps of potential for growth.
In 98 their crowds took a huge dip down to an average of 7,682 and their biggest attendance for the year was only 11,289, but every club saw huge drops in crowds at the time due to off field factors and every new clubs see a drop after the novelty factor wears off, it also didn't help that they were a hopeless team, but given time and some success they would have built themselves back up.

You're in a bubble, go out to areas that aren't traditionally Broncos areas and talk to them, sure you'll still get Broncos fans, and you'll get the ones that hate the Broncos, but most will simply be indifferent to the Broncos and that's the worst thing that can happen to any brand- indifference to it's existence...

Maybe if another team enters we can get the ones that are indifferent to the Broncos to fall in love with the new club and thus hate the Broncos because of their love for the new club, which would be a win, win, win for the new club, the NRL, and the Broncos cause it'd mean that they watch and take more of an interest in all of those groups content.

What areas do I have to go to, which area is not a traditional Broncos area in Brisbane?

The Great Dane

First Grade
Also, they probably would have been coached by Bellamy and had Smith, Cronk etc. So they probably would have won a premiership by now.

Possible, but they would have been fighting with the Storm, Rams, and Chargers for their signatures.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Pretty sure an airline sponsor would be a great fit! After all if the Toronto Wolfpack can achieve such a sponsor surely a well figured out business proposal can do the same for a West Coast team in the best rugby competition (both codes) in the world?

Why? as I said the NRL pay club travel. In Toronto's case they are paying all clubs travel so makes sense for them to have a airline sponsor.
Better would be the NRL getting an airline sponsor to reduce their costs.

We'll take any company that wants to pay $1.5million to be the Pirates main sponsor :)

th

If I win mega millions I will own the club and put Sea Shepherd on as main sponsor, just because it will create a kick ass jersey!
th

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
It should be noted the Crushers did not capture the public imagination with poor marketing moto/name and crap colours. And without media support that 21000 is extremely good. It shows a well marketed/named and attractive to the eye club would be a great gain for the code in Brisbane. It's a gift to the game yet it can't be given due to the objection of a monopoly that is way too greedy!

I very much doubt the Broncos have any say now, its the NRL's decision and they are the ones twiddling their thumbs on this.

No one can blame the Broncos, its their job to do what's right for them, including getting rid of business competition. Its the games governing bodies job to do what's right for the game regardless of any individual clubs opinion.

Last edited:

Stallion

First Grade
We know the NRL is dragging the chain. The Broncos are greedy and have influence. It's a poorly run competition. Deserves much better leadership and direction.

Last edited:

King hit

Coach
You're not going to ignore the Broncos part in the Crushers death are you?

I mean a big part of the Broncos effectively starting SL was the Crushers being admitted into the ARL, and the Broncos did everything in their power to make sure that the Crushers and any other potential second Brisbane team was killed off (the Chargers were being relocated to Brisbane by the ARL after the Crushers bit the dust, etc).

So yeah you aren't going to ignore the Broncos history of blocking potential competition in Brisbane are you?

I'm currently reading 'Super League the inside story' and have passed the chapter which mentioned the Crushers beginning. Those Broncos executives really went of their nut accusing Arthurson etc of conspiring to bring the Broncos down and were seeing it as an attack on their business. And with Super League no wonder the Crushers were in shit basically from the start.

All of that poor old Queensland stuff is embarrassing

I'm currently reading 'Super League the inside story' and have passed the chapter which mentioned the Crushers beginning. Those Broncos executives really went of their nut accusing Arthurson etc of conspiring to bring the Broncos down and were seeing it as an attack on their business. And with Super League no wonder the Crushers were in shit basically from the start.

All of that poor old Queensland stuff is embarrassing

Broncos did everything they could to agitate Arko etc.

Arko said letting the Broncos have Brissy to themselves was a licence to print money. The Crushers were brought in to try and curb the Broncos power and grasp on Brisbane with an alternative team more loyal to the ARL and ARL Qld sponsors like XXXX.

It doesn't surprise that the Broncos organisation would do everything in its power to ruin the opposition.

The sooner a 2nd team is in Brisbane, the better.

Latest posts